How many T-top 87 GNs were built?

So does anyone have a number or guess on production of the 87 GN astro roof?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

It's like WE4's though. You see them for sale a lot despite the low numbers.

X2
And same for '84's.
For only 2000 built - there sure does seem like a lot of them for sale.
TurboClam thinks it's alot of the same cars, recycling.
He could be right.

X2
And same for '84's.
For only 2000 built - there sure does seem like a lot of them for sale.
TurboClam thinks it's alot of the same cars, recycling.
He could be right.

Or they just weren't modded like the 86/87's were and they have lived to tell about it.

It's hard to wreck a slow car if you know how to drive.

Sorry if I offend the hot air guys but the truth hurts sometimes.

I have fire engines standing by to put out the flames!!! LOL

Count me in as a T-Top owner. ..altho when I was looking to buy one of these cars,I wanted a hardtop for it's strength and simplicity. The price was too good. Rustfree,bone stock garage queen with no chunks of rubber covering the rear frame rails. Looked at a few GN's. They were modded disasters.

Owned by a local GE Executive who made a few bad investments and needed $$!! Lucky me!

...but the funky looking door jambs where the doors bolt on. The squeaks and rattles that I keep fixing. Drove it with the tops off twice in the last 4 years. :( The t-tops look cool,tho. But,I wanted a hardtop.

We are NEVER going to know how many T-Tops, T-Types, GN's V/8's whatever. Heard from my ins. Agent today. The insurance industry does have estimates of how many Buick Regals are still on the road. BUT only Regals, there is no break down of type. Likewise in SC there are 22 1987 Regals redister in the state. Again no break down. This info came from my agent from his contacts at the Dept. of Motor Vehicle's

We are NEVER going to know how many T-Tops, T-Types, GN's V/8's whatever. Heard from my ins. Agent today. The insurance industry does have estimates of how many Buick Regals are still on the road. BUT only Regals, there is no break down of type. Likewise in SC there are 22 1987 Regals redister in the state. Again no break down. This info came from my agent from his contacts at the Dept. of

We are NEVER going to know how many T-Tops, T-Types, GN's V/8's whatever. Heard from my ins. Agent today. The insurance industry does have estimates of how many Buick Regals are still on the road. BUT only Regals, there is no break down of type. Likewise in SC there are 22 1987 Regals redister in the state. Again no break down. This info came from my agent from his contacts at the Dept. of
That's all well and good for the Regals that are register on the road, but we all still don't know the accurate number for just GN with T-Top.
Here's another example, my 87 GN which is not register, and not on the road since it's in my garage with maintenance being work on.
With that being said, SC has 23 1987 Regal, one of them is mine being 87 GN T-Top

There is no telling how many regals are still around. That's the whole point. Never going to know. Looking at the OP

i think your view of t-tops is very dependant on what you like and how you use your GN, etc... being an over the top fan of 3rd gen F-bodies according to my wife and friends (i have 7 currently), when my wife wanted me to get a GN for our collection we both wanted one with T-Tops... i found a really nice low mileage one with the body braces, and about every other performance upgrade (air induction, exhaust cut-out, fuel pump, etc) and paid good $ to get it as it is super nice and that is what we like. as with my z28s and trans am with t-tops i never even take the t-tops with me when i have them off for a ride, we like the look and fresh air... if potential for rain i take a hard top camaro as i agree t-tops are not for inclement weather!

with that being said, i wouldn't mind having a higher mileage hard top one to take to the track!

Whats crazy is this site has over 35k members and their are probably less the 5k cars left on the road...:eek:

But how many times has someone came across a Gbody with a GN rear or drive train..i have quite often.. hell I have one my self, so that adds to the lower #s left also...

Definately not too many numbers matching cars left.

I would like first be the one to say my GN (92,000) still has matching numbers, even when I replaced the water pump, I still the original water pump, just need to find a repair shop to replace the seal.
Although all hoses were replaced the original didn't look that bad, but I still replaced them. (still have them, and all original parts which are still good)
I even have the original tires with some threads on them, but I wouldn't go speed driving with them, just for show if I go that way.
Who else can chime in on their matching numbers?

For whatever it's worth, I google matching numbers. From what I read, matching #'s is matching the Vin.#'s, motors, Trans, frame, rear end is stamp to match the Vin. does not include maint. Items such as hoses, water pumps, ect. If you still have those items, well and good it does help prove the car is original. But it appears it Is not needed

I think there are more garage TRs out there yet that haven't been touched in quite some time but are numbers matching. I know of five close to me that just sit with under 30k miles.

I think there are more garage TRs out there yet that haven't been touched in quite some time but are numbers matching. I know of five close to me that just sit with under 30k miles.

No ? You are right about that. To me it's like draining a pond to see what's there.

For whatever it's worth, I google matching numbers. From what I read, matching #'s is matching the Vin.#'s, motors, Trans, frame, rear end is stamp to match the Vin. does not include maint. Items such as hoses, water pumps, ect. If you still have those items, well and good it does help prove the car is original. But it appears it Is not needed
Hi Ray, so true I know those hoses don't mean much, but for me I like to still hold on to them.

There are probably well over 10k Turbo Regals left.

Pete

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app