How many T-top 87 GNs were built?

Once all figures on how many were built, now truly answer how many are still running since many were totally wreck, or being stolen for a crop shop
The unknown number will probability never be answer of how many still runs

I would guess < 2000 left ..

if you figure 8900 Total CC1 turbo cars including all types.. take out the GN's from the turbo T and limiteds as well as other models.. take out how many were wrecked ... parted out ... etc etc 2000 is probably not too far off

The National Institute of Insurance may have this info. Will try to find out

Only one problem with that statement, providing TR owners have their cars insured, and for those that don't have it insure it might hard to provide an accurate accounts of how many.

Out of 30,000 total GN's, you guys estimate less than 2,000 remain? Not possible.

Only one problem with that statement, providing TR owners have their cars insured, and for those that don't have it insure it might hard to provide an accurate accounts of how many.

You are right. I'm sure there are TR's being race only. There are more over sea's, and so on. But it would give a idea of how many are running up and down the highway. If the info can be found. Dennis told me his thinking was 15% of TR's made (Kirban).

Out of 30,000 total GN's, you guys estimate less than 2,000 remain? Not possible.

READ the whole post... there are ~8900 CC1 t top cars made ... that includes GN's, WE4's, Limited's, Turbo T's

How many of those 8900 are GN's ? how many are parted ? how many totaled ? how many still left on the road ... I doubt many over 2000

Forget the 20,000 # that's all GN's

only 8900 T-top cars TOTAL !

READ the whole post... there are ~8900 CC1 t top cars made ... that includes GN's, WE4's, Limited's, Turbo T's

How many of those 8900 are GN's ? how many are parted ? how many totaled ? how many still left on the road ... I doubt many over 2000

Forget the 20,000 # that's all GN's

only 8900 T-top cars TOTAL !

AAAHHHHHHH. Got ya!

Whats ODD... it seems like everytime I see a GN on the road .. its a T-top car !

I know. I was thinking it was crazy too that only 15% or something were t-tops. It's like WE4's though. You see them for sale a lot despite the low numbers.

i wish there were zero built.

HEY NOW, It just happen that I owed an 87 T-Top since it's one year of birth age and loving it.
What you should be thankful, that GM didn't make convertible ones.

I'm with Turbo89 and GNOMYX. Mine's a T-Top and I wouldn't have it any other way.....great way to hear the RJC exhaust and a warm summer drive up in the Shenandoah Mountains on Skyline Drive....plus going to the store or in town, since it's 30 miles away, makes driving such a pleasure with the tops off....exhilarating! If it's not a T-Top, you can have it! So there!:yuck:

Bruce '87 Grand National

About 30% of GNs were t top optioned. Like Grumpy said to many.......

Pete

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Ok how many 86 gns if the 5512 were t tops

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Jut caught this thread.....its highly unlikely anyone knows for sure on the break down on number of T Top GNs that were built for any given year. When I was writing my first book the 400 page one I was in direct contact with a source at Buick that had a lot of the production numbers available but on many options including T Tops it was confusing because Buick did not keep VINs separate hard to explain the process but it just didn't happen. The Syclones for example all have their specific VIN number and from that you can tell exactly what number your Syclone is in production.

In the Turbo Buick world our cars were mixed with all the other V6 and V8 Regals and although many of you may not have ever seen a regular V6 or V8 Regal with T Tops they do exist.

Since T-Tops meant more money for the dealerships when they were new....obviousily they ordered a lot of them and pushed them to make more $$$$ same token most buyers did not realize the problems that accompany T-Top Regals when you have poor body fit and what happens when it rains!

Its like the Monte Carlo SS models you would almost swear 80% of them must be burgundy exterior with burgundy guts as most you see have that color combo.

As to how many of any give year remain on the road insurance companies have a formula for that based on the year original production and what percentage would still be on the road today. The numbers are not that great when compared to other muscle cars.

Example GTOs a car I am just as well versed on...in 1966 alone they made 80,000 of them.....They were made in 13 different assembly plants around the USA. Our cars all where made in Flint with final assembly in Pontiac Michigan. That was just one year production. Far greater than all the Turbo Regals made between 1984-1987. You have a car that has a high appeal and whose numbers diminish as each year passes.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

At best one can only estimate a percentage that received CC1 option T-Tops.

On a side note: It is ashame for example as each year passes no one can figure out what was the very first produced GN for any given year.

You always explain complicated situations so well......If I knew only 1/16th of what you know, I'd be a genius! No kidding.

You should start you own business!

What? Say what? He ALREADY HAS his own business??? OH! Sorry there! I've bought many things from you, Dennis, and have had real nice conversations with you......guess it's getting late.:rolleyes:

Bruce '87 Grand National

I love my T top. Nothing like driving with the roof out on a nice day. I've never had it on the track although I plan on doing it in Greensboro this year and I rarely go over 100mph.