HIDs before and after pics/ install thread. (Alradco HIDs)

I had silverstars in my GN, they made a big improvement over stock headlights, when I installed the hid's, they made a big improvement over the silverstars,
Much cleaner "white" light.

I've been watching this tread for awhile now and I personally replaced my high and lows with "salvania silverstars". I always thought they were bright enough, but now I'm curious.

Does any anyone know how much of a difference between the HIDs and the silverstars might be?

I ran silverstars before the HID setup. Quite a bit of difference IMO

"Davelostmissing" sent me a nice diagram of how to hook up the HIDs so they all light up. He shows the driver side stock connector (high and low) hooked up with a diode to a relay, then from the relay one side to the battery then one connector to the high and low beams of the HIDs, then from there to the battery........what I'm confused about is do I use only ONE relay per pair of HID lights running from the stock outside connector that powered the original Halogen high/low beam and just tape up the original connector that powered the high beam Halogen? In other words, one relay per pair and one diode per pair of HID lights. Also, should I use a 30 amp relay or a 40 amp relay?

John Spina...I sure wish you'd chime in on this one........you know you're the best on these matters so would you help an old dying man here?:rolleyes:

I ordered both sets from Peter a week ago, so hope they get here soon.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Dave's diagram shown below:
HID_harness_Dtekk2.jpg

Maybe I am reading this wrong but the relay is turned on by low beam and the high beam just feeds on top off it,so it all 4 headlamps at all times? Unless this for the highbeam circuit only.

Yeah, Hey, Dave! Please clarify this for Steve and the question I had for you also........it seems somewhat confusing...........would you re-explain this for us again? Pretty please?:rolleyes:

Bruce '87 Grand National

Although I'm not Davelostmissing.......I am another Dave who has seen this installation and have spoken with Dave about it.....
Davelostmissing installed a pair of D2S HID's with electronic ballasts and caspers anti glare shield in his H4 (low beam housings). The relay powers up the electronic ballasts for the HID's in his low beam. Beleive the diode allows the lowbeam (HID's) to stay on, while he switches on the high beams.....so now there are all 4 headlights on when Hi beam is activated.
These ballasts don't like to be turned on and off repeatedly, so in order to promote long life and many miles of trouble free use......they have been wired up to stay on when Hi is turned on.
Keep in mind that Dave does'nt have HIDs' installed in his Hi Beams....he still has got the factory sealed beam housing in use.
Not sure if this sheds any light (sorry for the play on words), on things for you?
I'm sure he will chime in to correct me if I'm wrong.

Another Dave :)

davelostmissing hit it on the head.

That diagram is accurate and will work just fine. Key to it is, use 14 gage wire and GOOD crimps throughout, a 30 amp SEALED relay, and probably a fuse link instead of the fuse/breaker (just my personal preference) and you should be good to go. One relay will control both ballasts without too much worry and the diode back-feeds the low beams when the high beams are selected.Using two relays just gives you an extra level of confidence, but not absolutely necessary. Just don't use the cheapo Chinese relays; they are not consistent and the last thing you need to worry about is "no headlights" when you need them.

On the OEM setup, there are two filaments in the outboard (lo beam) bulbs and one filament in the inboard (hi beam) bulbs. The factory setup turns off the low filaments when the high beams are selected - otherwise you'd overheat the outboard bulb housings. Since the HID's are a single bulb setup, there is no functional hi beam within the modded outboard bulbs. You'd let the high beam inboard bulbs get you what you need, albeit, not as effective as four hi beam filaments. It's a trade-off but a good one considering how often you don't use the hi beams.

The HID illumination is the absolute best thing you can do to your GN far as I'm concerned.

Jack Bilger on this board wrote how to instructions a while back on how to do the 4 on conversion. They are in the How To section of this site.
I have attached them to this post.

Peter

Attachments

• HID_Wiring.pdf
    82.5 KB · Views: 143
Maybe I am reading this wrong but the relay is turned on by low beam and the high beam just feeds on top off it,so it all 4 headlamps at all times? Unless this for the highbeam circuit only.
After reading the above....this is for lowbeam all the diode does is let the lows stay on when the low beam circuit turns off....thanks guys.

On another note for those that want to use all 4 HIDs when the hi s are switched on the balasts are gonna take up 2 60 secs to reach full brightness....so maybe best to run OEM bulbs or silverstars on the highbeam and do the above mod.

Peter, finally, thank you! Now I've got it thanks to the diagram. Only problem is, at least for me, is the wiring diagram on the pdf you sent is blurred....I can't read the relay numbers, nor the words on the diagram....can this be clearer in some way so I can read it?

Also, do you have a status on my order, Peter? I ordered on 22 November and hope to see the set sometimes, so please let me know if you don't mind. Thanks.

Steve, I can't use Silverstars or original high beams as I've got the HID high beam now on order......but not problem.

Finally, I've got the solution to how to wire up this system and I sure do appreciate it............there was so much discussion on the wiring set-up that I was getting somewhat confused (as always) Now the diagram is here via pdf.

Thanks for the help...........it's much needed and appreciated!

Bruce '87 Grand National

John! I missed your post! Your opinion is also what I have been seeking.......thanks a million, John. I very much appreciate your explaination for us, especially me...........

You sure are a nice guy to help those less knowledgeable in these matters............I needed your stamp of approval at the end.

Again, thank you kindly, John. Very much.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Peter, finally, thank you! Now I've got it thanks to the diagram. Only problem is, at least for me, is the wiring diagram on the pdf you sent is blurred....I can't read the relay numbers, nor the words on the diagram....can this be clearer in some way so I can read it?

Also, do you have a status on my order, Peter? I ordered on 22 November and hope to see the set sometimes, so please let me know if you don't mind. Thanks.

Steve, I can't use Silverstars or original high beams as I've got the HID high beam now on order......but not problem.

Finally, I've got the solution to how to wire up this system and I sure do appreciate it............there was so much discussion on the wiring set-up that I was getting somewhat confused (as always) Now the diagram is here via pdf.

Thanks for the help...........it's much needed and appreciated!

Bruce '87 Grand National

Hi Bruce,
I'll check with Jack. Looks like the picture quality got downsized a bit too much

After reading the above....this is for lowbeam all the diode does is let the lows stay on when the low beam circuit turns off....thanks guys.

On another note for those that want to use all 4 HIDs when the hi s are switched on the balasts are gonna take up 2 60 secs to reach full brightness....so maybe best to run OEM bulbs or silverstars on the highbeam and do the above mod.

Are you talking about our kits? No way do the highs take that long. Also, the people that are going to the 4 ON conversion, they have the advantage of the low beams being on already.

The "hot re-strike" feature on automotive HID bulbs usually take five or six seconds to reach full color temperature. Much different than ordinary "parking-lot" HID lighting. Those lights need to cool down completely before they'll re-strike.

If you're even considering adapting to HID's, go for it. You'll never regret it and the road illumination is astounding compared to the halogen counterparts.

Are you talking about our kits? No way do the highs take that long. Also, the people that are going to the 4 ON conversion, they have the advantage of the low beams being on already.
Nope only in general. I don't have my high beams installed yet.

John, Dave or anyone else, I've just got one more question to ask of you before I begin this installation, please help me understand.

In the below diagram sent by Dave, the stock high/low plug is being used for both high/low beam Hids on right and left side of Grand National, or does this show the high/low beam AND the high beam HIDs used on only the left side..............so I would have to repeat this on the passenger side...................right? Or:

In other words, this diagram pertains to ONE SET of high/low beams (right and left) or is it showing the left side only using the high/low beam AND the high beam HID?

So I should just tape up the stock high beam plug since they look like they are not being used.....please tell me if this is correct.
Could one of you guys set me straight here, please? Then I'll behave.:rolleyes: And thank you kindly, as so far you've all been such a great help to me.

HID_harness_Dtekk2.jpg
Bruce '87 Grand National

Ok, when I did my hid conversion I just did the low beam, and they go off when I switch to "hi beam" I want all four lights to stay on when switched to hi beam,
My question is do I put the diode in the hi beam side of the socket and bend it to put the other end into the low beam side of the socket, is this correct?

John, Dave or anyone else, I've just got one more question to ask of you before I begin this installation, please help me understand.

In the below diagram sent by Dave, the stock high/low plug is being used for both high/low beam Hids on right and left side of Grand National, or does this show the high/low beam AND the high beam HIDs used on only the left side..............so I would have to repeat this on the passenger side...................right? Or:

In other words, this diagram pertains to ONE SET of high/low beams (right and left) or is it showing the left side only using the high/low beam AND the high beam HID?

So I should just tape up the stock high beam plug since they look like they are not being used.....please tell me if this is correct.
Could one of you guys set me straight here, please? Then I'll behave.:rolleyes: And thank you kindly, as so far you've all been such a great help to me.

HID_harness_Dtekk2.jpg
Bruce '87 Grand National

This diagram is ONLY for the lowbeams. All it does is show how to keep the lows on during high beam. High beam is separate and needs its own relay.

On another note...you got yours? Mine were ordered well before this sale and are MIA ;)

Hey, Steve, thank you for your answer............and, no, I haven't my set yet, either......we contacted Peter at Alradco yesterday (4 Dec 12, Tuesday) and Peter said that his whole computer system has been down and all his orders have been delayed because of this (mine were ordered on 21 November) So he said he was sorry about the delay and is in the process of getting his system up and running correctly........he said when the orders of the HIDs are sent out, he will send out an e-mail notifying us of the shipping. Thought I'd let you know. You can call Peter Cegielski at 408-320-6842 at Alradco. Leave a message if he's not in, but he'll always return your call.

As usual, I'm still a little confused (not unusual:rolleyes:) I see a stock connector on the right for low/high beam, so what about the stock connector that's on the passenger side? (low/high beam) As per illustration, only one stock connector is shown.........the driver's side. So, that's one place I'm confused about.

I'd like to see how to wire up the high beam HIDs.........hope you can help me shed some light here on my low glowing brain here.
Thanks again, Steve, for your help so far. Appreciate it.

Bruce '87 Grand National

davelostmissing hit it on the head.

That diagram is accurate and will work just fine. Key to it is, use 14 gage wire and GOOD crimps throughout, a 30 amp SEALED relay, and probably a fuse link instead of the fuse/breaker (just my personal preference) and you should be good to go. One relay will control both ballasts without too much worry and the diode back-feeds the low beams when the high beams are selected.

John, what is the stock gauge wiring and what gauge wire do you use on your headlight brightener kit? Also does your kit keep the lows on when the highs are activated?