HIDs before and after pics/ install thread. (Alradco HIDs)

Please tell me how you're going to seal them...I'd like to know......wouldn't the heat from those bulbs melt your sealer? Just curious.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Wouldn't high temp RTV work? If it can seal exhaust manifolds the head light housings shouldn't be a problem.

Alradco, What are you doing to seal the back of the housings? I know these kits are all vented behind the HID bulb, do they need to be vented? I'm hearing a lot of people are having a lot of problems with moisture buildup inside the housing.
Jeremy, I used the rubber boot that came with the 4x6 housings on my GN. I had to open up the hole on my rubber boots to fit, but thats because I am using D2s hid bulbs in the housings and they require the amp connector to the back of the bulb. I just used a razor knife and opened it up to make a nice tight fit against the housing. I even went the extra and used a dab of silicone around the hole.
I have never had a drop of moisture in mine yet.

Alradco, What are you doing to seal the back of the housings? I know these kits are all vented behind the HID bulb, do they need to be vented? I'm hearing a lot of people are having a lot of problems with moisture buildup inside the housing.

Are you having a problem with one of our kits? I've never done anything special on any of the cars or motorcycles we have put them on. On mine I cut a hole in the rubber boot that comes with the headlight to slide over and keep it snug. I haven't had emails or phone calls about the problem but if you're having one let me know. 408 320 6842 or peter @ alradco . com

Peter

Mine are installed...

Before....
12-12-12  (9).JPG

After.....
IMG_3480.JPG

I'll bring this thread back to ask a dumb question if I may. Are the housings that come with the kit designed for the use of HIDs or just regular H4 bulbs? The reason I ask is I just installed my low beam kit and to me they seem to have a lot of glare. I installed the HID bulb into the housing with the metal "deflector" on the bottom, not sure if it matters or if I need to flip the housing. Here's my install using 4300k HID's.
1-1_zpsff657f13.jpg

3-1_zpse3b75b10.jpg

I'll bring this thread back to ask a dumb question if I may. Are the housings that come with the kit designed for the use of HIDs or just regular H4 bulbs? The reason I ask is I just installed my low beam kit and to me they seem to have a lot of glare. I installed the HID bulb into the housing with the metal "deflector" on the bottom, not sure if it matters or if I need to flip the housing. Here's my install using 4300k HID's.
1-1_zpsff657f13.jpg

3-1_zpse3b75b10.jpg

Did you ever get an answer?

Yes, housings are designed for HID's and the metal piece on the bulbs should be on the bottom when installed. After the headlights are aimed the glare issue was resolved.

What do you do for your high beams or did you just leave the sealed high beams in?

What do you do for your high beams or did you just leave the sealed high beams in?
I left the sealed beams in but I doubt you will ever need them as these light up the road about the same as the stock highs do. I may remove mine and install some mesh screen like X-Ray. If you install a kit in the high beam location as well, the problem is when you switch the high beams on, you will have no lights for about 3 seconds until the ballasts warm up.

I left the sealed beams in but I doubt you will ever need them as these light up the road about the same as the stock highs do. I may remove mine and install some mesh screen like X-Ray. If you install a kit in the high beam location as well, the problem is when you switch the high beams on, you will have no lights for about 3 seconds until the ballasts warm up.

Just my 2cents.

Just go with some good H1's and the standard wattage halogen bulbs for your Hi beams. Hella, Bosch, Cibie, etc, etc.
You should install a relay for the High Beam as well. If you're really good, you can wire the HID to stay on when Hi beam is commanded too, that way you'll have all 4 headlights illuminated on Hi beam.

Problem with HID for high beams is that it takes a few seconds for the ballast to warm up & put out full lumen output. When you need your Hi beams it's usually right away and you don't want to have to wait for a few seconds for them to fully power up as this could be dangerous. Besides, the delay , the constant turning off Hi's as you blip them on & off quickly is a killer for most ballasts.
Many of the auto makers today retain using traditional halogen bulbs for their Hi beams because of this.

I'm not a lighting expert, but just ask someone who is in the business & I'm sure they'll agree with me.

dave

Anyone got any pics of the metal triangle / arrow things installed? I am a computer person and I can't see forest for trees on how these go on...

x2
that's what it be...
(if'n u don't need it, send it my way; my kit was 1 short:confused:)

Do_O

you guys got pics of how / if you used the rubber boot on the back of the bulb / housing?

TIA

You can wire up the HID lights so all 4 HID lights come on, that way there's no delay. I thought the instructions were in this thread. I'll re-post them, maybe they are in another thread.

rev.3:11, if you need one of those just drop me a line. :)