Forced Induction's FI91X report!

I've never seen one used. ( a good one anyway) Maybe you could post up some examples of what you are working with. ( log files or ??) Might be interesting to compare them with the videos/ time slip incrementals / real world numbers.

That seems to be a very good idea. I think I'll put together a comparison of the 2005 Vegas, low resolution fuel map (8x8) using the TEC2 system and the latest TEC3r fuel map with twice the resolution. I was still teaching myself how to tune fuel maps back then and when I look back at that old fuel map I can't believe the car did what it did. Yet, thanks to Mark, I have the video.
I'll try to dig up the simulator file for that Vegas run too. Better yet, the sim file of the run where the engine blew.

I don't know what the rest of your combination is, but if it's anything close to being similar to mine, I would have to agree that trying to spool a T5 94 with a N/C T/C without nitrous is plain nuts.

If you've been following my trek for some while, like you stated, then I think you've missed something very important early on about my original goals with this project. That could be my fault. Maybe I never did clearly state it.
There was never any intention of not using nitrous on this car. Nitrous and alcohol were the first criteria put on the original project specifications list. One of the major questions put to this project that I wanted to answer was,

What would the use of nitrous oxide injection allow me to do to increase top end efficiencies with the engine and drivetrain?

It's well known that compromises have to be made inorder to have a quick spooling combination. No matter how slight they may be, there are compromises.

If I simply wanted to go fast and do it as simply as possible, I would not have done it this way. I would have built a big cubed BBC, put a big carb and a simple ignition system on it, and ran it on gasoline. Sure I would have been going fast much sooner than now, but I would also be extremely bored. As I stated previously, I'm a tinkerer. I love the problem solving that I have to go through making this combination work. On top of that, I'm learning so much about the interactions of all these different systems. Some people just want to drive a fast race car, be able to put it away at the end of the day and forget about it until the next race day. THAT IS NOT ME. I'm more like the crew chief that is tinkering with different systems of the car looking for something that will make the car more efficient and hopefully faster. That type of person is not looking at what other people are doing and copying them. He's experimenting with new ideas to see if there's anything worthwhile to learn from it. It's like an inventor that may go through 1,000s of designs that are complete failures, yet one day he may come across the one idea that works or at the least teaches him something useful that he can carry on to his next venture.

Another one of the kicks I'm getting out of this project is exploring the unpopular theories related to turbocharged engines. Mainly pressure pulse tuning. Another theory that's believed not to go together well with quick spooling.

Do I think that maybe I've just been wasting my time? Heck no. I love to learn from doing. This car has taught me so much.
It's taught me the limits of burning alcohol fuel.
It's taught me how to tune alcohol.
It's taught me how accurate computer simulations can be.
It's taught me how to use nitrous oxide.
It's taught me a ton on fuel mapping development.
It's taught me that you can tune a modern fuel injection system to within 1% without a dyno. Remember the old carb tuning days without dynos?
It's taught me how quickly you can spool a turbo on nitrous.
It's taught me that you don't have to use a high stall T/C to get a good 60 foot.
It's taught me that pressure pulse tuning with a turbo engine is not something to ignore.
It's taught me that you don't always need the killer heads to match performance.
It's taught me that cam specs can be used to make up for deficiencies of the heads.
It's taught me how the lower thermal loads put on the engine with alcohol fuel allows header piping to last longer, even when wrapped. No need to use 321 grade stainless.
It's taught me how to maintain an engine that's run with alcohol.
It's taught me that blowing up an engine with nitrous is the least of the worries when the system is setup properly.
It's taught me how resistant people are to the idea of using nitrous with turbocharging. In the Buick community anyway.
And so much more.

I think many people don't realize or they just forget real quick the successes I've had with this project. Progress with this project has always moved forward and improved. It may have been at a snails pace at times. My resources are limited. But, the car has never ceased to amaze me.

Probably what I like most about this project is, it's still teaching me things. New and different things.

Like I said I wish all the success on your quest.

That seems to be a very good idea. I think I'll put together a comparison of the 2005 Vegas, low resolution fuel map (8x8) using the TEC2 system and the latest TEC3r fuel map with twice the resolution. I was still teaching myself how to tune fuel maps back then and when I look back at that old fuel map I can't believe the car did what it did. Yet, thanks to Mark, I have the video.
I'll try to dig up the simulator file for that Vegas run too. Better yet, the sim file of the run where the engine blew.

Are you planning to post it up as a new thread so it doesn't get lost in here?

Are you planning to post it up as a new thread so it doesn't get lost in here?

That's a good idea, but what section? An Advanced Tuners section would be perfect. Funny. I wonder just how many people would be willing to give up their hard earned tuning secrets. I'd be the only one posting in there.

I finally got an exhaust back pressure reading. I had to study the video about 4 times before I could believe it.

Intake boost pressure 280-288 kPa (26-27 psi).
Exhaust back pressure at the above intake pressure was 22-23 psi.

That is a .85:1 exhaust to intake pressure ratio.:eek:

The holy grail has been obtained!:cool:

And some thought it couldn't be done.

.....Intake boost pressure 280-288 kPa (26-27 psi).
Exhaust back pressure at the above intake pressure was 22-23 psi.
That is a .85:1 exhaust to intake pressure ratio.:eek:

WOW!! NICE!! :cool:

+1 super impressive. how did you go about logging the pressure on the exhaust side?

I have an O2 sensor bung that I used for the narrow band sensor in the past that is located just before the turbine housing entrance. I took the plug that I had there and drilled it for a 1/8npt. I then used an exhaust back pressure fitting, hose and gauge. The dang thing had been dangling by my dash for ages now, so I finally made it a point to duct tape the darn thing onto the top of my dash and video tape it so I could remove it. I didn't realize that you have to zoom in after every restart of the video camera so the numbers aren't real clear, but you can see the angle of the needle and I just figured it out that way.

I'll post the vid when I get the chance.

Once again I'm amazed by what you've done Donnie. Why do I keep getting drawn to your threads? Because you tell us things no one else is willing to and you try to make it clear enough for just about anyone to understand. Thanks.

Still working on the tuneup for the launch, but I now have a new best 1/4 mph for the car. The old record was 146 mph. The new is 154.87 mph at only 26-27 psi boost pressure (reading taken off the aux channel of an AMS1000 controller). I'm sure the new 29.5" tires helped out too.
RPM across the finish line was 7550. Redline being 7800.

The incremental times and mphs were very poor and did not match the 1/4 mph at all. As I work on the launch tuneup, I'm sure new mph records for the car will follow.

We were all a little blown away by this. 224 cubic inches!

If you keep this up Donnie, you're gonna break into the 8's in the next year. At the very least you make it to the low 9's

I found a link to the very hard to find compressor map and some information on the Airwerks S510 (FI91X).
With the hp that I've figured I'm at with the car so far, I'm sitting right at the tip of the 78% efficiency island. Yes!!!

Build Your Own Turbo Kit

Another thing to ponder. As I increase the nitrous shot, I am increasing the stall of the t/c while, at the same time, lowering the stall requirement of the total combination.

So, as I increase the nitrous and stall speed, there will be a certain level where the optimum torque and converter stall matches the optimum requirement, since stall is increasing and requirement is decreasing.

I have to add something here. I know some of you are going to shake your heads, but this can't be ignored. The subject of the last paragraph was very, very clearly shown in the sim that I use. I mean VERY CLEARLY. I know that a lot of things about a sim can be grey area. No one knows that better than me. Especially if the input data is not correct. But, there is no mistaking on this.

I personally have done this with a basketball size turbo (G trim 91.5) with a 100 shot on the transbreak only, have seen 1.27 60 ft on radials, testing. I know it can be done and Donnie you are figuring it out. Dusty's converter though has worked wonders for me and we havnt even pushed the combo yet with everything being low boost, low launch boost, low everything.

I personally have done this with a basketball size turbo (G trim 91.5) with a 100 shot on the transbreak only, have seen 1.27 60 ft on radials, testing. I know it can be done and Donnie you are figuring it out. Dusty's converter though has worked wonders for me and we havnt even pushed the combo yet with everything being low boost, low launch boost, low everything.

I figure I'm going to start out testing leaving the line with about 3 or 4 psi boost. We'll see what kind of 60' performance I get with that.
This new system configuration is going to give me as much as 9+ psi to play with for the launch. I think you and I both know, I won't be needing to tap into that much to end up with a spectacular launch.

as always

I follow with interest, your quest to demonstrate how little motor/ big turbo
can work! :D