Don't let this happen to you or your car!

thrashercharged

It is with great sadness and regret that I write this in the hopes that another tragedy like this might be prevented. My friend, neighbor and colleague, Chris Lupini, lost his oldest son after letting him borrow his 87 GN for the first time. Anthony Lupini, his 18 year old son, was a freshman at Purdue University home for Christmas. Anthony was headed out to the video store and begged his father to allow him to take the GN. Thinking that Anthony was mature enough, Chris agreed after giving him a stern warning of what not to do, how careful he needed to be with the throttle and to respect the car's power. Unfortunately, the temptation was too much for an 18 year old kid. The accident occurred on a straight stretch of asphalt coming back from the local high school (not on the usual route to the video store). It is reported that the GN was approaching speeds of 100 when it slid sideways into a yard, went airborne for 50 feet and hit a tree.

Anthony was a bright kid, an Eagle Scout following in his father's footsteps as an engineering major at Purdue University with a bright future, but a single act of immaturity wiped that away in an instant. I think this is every performance car enthusiast with kids (especially sons) worst nightmare, and something we struggle with as our kids reach driving age. When do we give them the keys to our fast cars? I hope we all learn from this and don't do it too soon.

For those of you wondering about the car, it was a mint condition low mileage GN, about an 11 sec car built with early parts, most probably prototype/experimental to what's out there today. It was the early 90's and these cars were relatively new (when 11's was hard to achieve), our kids were young (and of course, we were young ourselves) and the GN/TR were the toys of choice among us GM engineers at the time. Chris, like most of us, kind of lost interest in the cars as our kids got older and things like Boy Scouts and school sports started taking over our time, and he actually sold this GN. But as you know you can never get rid of that GN/TR bug once it bites you; he got interested in GN/TRs again and bought his GN back just this year. The guy he sold it to rarely drove it, it was parked and had a powermaster problem that Chris just repaired while Anthony was away in college, which is why he hadn't had the opportunity to drive it yet. It is very tragic that he's lost both his GN and his son. Perhaps it may be a small consolation to him if his tragedy can prevent another from happening.

God bless the Lupini family; we'll keep them in our prayers.

med.jpg

tribune photo.jpg

Published: December 18, 2007 10:54 pm
Teen dies 4 days after car accident

Anthony C. Lupini was home from Purdue on semester break.
By JOHN DEMPSEY
Tribune staff writer

Four days after the car he was driving crashed into a tree, Anthony C. Lupini, 18, died Tuesday without ever regaining consciousness. He was pronounced dead as the result of serious head injuries at 1 p.m. Tuesday at Methodist Hospital, the Marion County Coroner’s Office informed Howard County Sheriff Marty Talbert.

Friday afternoon, Lupini was southbound on 400 West at a speed police estimated in excess of 90 mph when the 1987 Buick Grand National he was driving left the west side of the road. Police said he overcorrected and slid sideways in a yard before going airborne for more than 50 feet into the tree.

Lupini was flown directly from the scene by Life Line helicopter to Methodist Hospital suffering from a compound fracture of the left leg, possible internal injuries and lacerations to his head, the sheriff said. Lupini was unconscious at the scene and had to be cut from the vehicle. It took emergency workers nearly 50 minutes to cut him free.

Anthony’s father, Chris, told police he let his son borrow the Buick to run to the video store.

A 2007 Northwestern High School graduate, he had come home Friday from Purdue University for semester break. Talbert called the crash one of the worst he’s seen in his 30 years of law enforcement. “These types of crashes always bother me,” he said, “but it’s even worse at this time of the year. “There’s only one thing you can say and it’s the same thing: Speed kills. There’s no other way to say it. I don’t care if you’ve been driving 30 years or 30 days. It doesn’t change it.”

Anthony C. Lupini

Anthony C. Lupini, 18, Kokomo, died at 1 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 18, 2007, at Methodist Hospital as a result of a tragic automobile accident. He was born Jan. 15, 1989, in Alexandria, Va., the son of Christopher A. and Carrie (Toler) Lupini.

Anthony was a first-year student at Purdue University majoring in engineering. He was a 2007 graduate of Northwestern High School, where he was an honor student. He had been an active member of Boy Scout Troop 508 and had achieved the rank of Eagle Scout. He was a member of St. Patrick Catholic Church, where he had served as a Guardian of the Sacred Mysteries for the past four years. He was an accomplished pianist who enjoyed reading and was most happy when enjoying God’s creations in the out-of-doors.

That's a really, really unfortunate series of events. That's yet another grim reminder on why only mature, experienced drivers should attempt to drive a turbo regal or any other powerful car for that matter. The combination of the poor handling characteristics of a turbo regal and the the speed at which the torque comes on (even in stock form) is a recipe for disaster with an inexperienced driver behind the wheel.

I wish the best for the family. Its a loss to lose anyone. But to lose a child is the worst. This is why I tell my wife that no one drives my car.

sad .... Again do not let people drive your car !! its not a car for the average driver, my wife begged me to drive mine, after i unhooked the wastgate rod away she went, Now she says your car is a slow POS I don't want to drive it.

What a sad sad loss. Hard to read this story around this time of year. My condolences and prayers to the family.

I found this on line in case anyone would like to make a contribution....

Memorial contributions in Anthony’s name may be made to the building fund of St. Patrick Church, 320 W. Broadway, Kokomo, IN 46901. Envelopes will be available at the church. Shirley and Stout Funeral Homes is assisting the family with the arrangements. Online condolences may be made to Shirley-Stout, Hasler-Stout, Stout & Son Funeral Homes.

My prayers go out to his family and friends.It is bad enough losing your car.But to lose your son . Very sad. He was way to young.

Very sad story my condolences go out to the family. Very sad to loose some one that youngs tragic and lets remember as much as we all love these cars metal can be fixed or replace a life can not so a father could not know that his son would not listen about the power of these cars.Hopefully time will heal all wounds.

Very sorry!

I am very sorry for the family and there loss,we have to remember we think we have control but we really NEVER have TOTAL control of any thing!

Omg!

That is so sad, what a tragedy. You have to respect these cars for they are way too fast for young drivers.

There is a local kid who just bought a crazy fast Supra, well his parents bought it. They might as well hand him a gun and teach him Russian roulette. Kids have no business in these types of cars.

Geez that's awful. I hate to read stuff like that. As I watch my 7-year-old son eat his breakfast it really hits home. I hope the family finds the strength to get through this tragic time.

Jim

I couldn't even imagine the emotional pain he must be going through. This saddens me just as much as the rest. Just a reminder to us all, isn't it? No matter how good we think we are behind the wheel, anything can happen. A terrible tradgedy for ALL of us enthusiasts:frown: . This should be posted on every site we're involved with to remind everyone. We should not EVER let unexperienced driver's of any age behind the wheel without our personal supervision. My wife told me she will never drive my car. I think I know why now...

Wow.. My condolences to the family at the loss of thier son.

My wife is afraid of the GN after hearing so many stories of guys wives wiping out their hubby's pride and joy because they thought they could give it a "little more" throttle... Though she has driven it around the neighborhood a couple of times...

Wow, I'm an 18 year old home for winter break and I own an 11 second GN. This story will be in the back of my mind. Sorry to hear this, I couldnt even imagine what his family must be going through...very tragic story.

Very Sad!

My prayers go out to this family. As I am a NC State Trooper I see this type of tragedy everday. It really hurts to see this tragedy. Having lost my oldest brother in an automobile crash when I was young. I could never imagine what my parents went through. We all have fast cars and we need to respect what they can do.

Tragic story. I'm sure the father feels awful but what could he have done? He was trying to do the right thing by allowing his son some responsibility and freedom. It's a lose/lose situation, he's either "the bad guy" for handing over his car to a young son, or he's "the bad guy" for not trusting his son and denying him the experience of driving the car.

I'm a young GN owner and feel the comments about being young and irresponsible are unfair. It didn't take me more than the first few taps on the throttle of my GN the realize I wasn't going to screw around with my car on the street. To this day I have never even had the gas pedal to the floor.

Look around on the internet, you'll find plenty videos of full-grown men acting like children with their cars, endangering themselves and other people on the street. It's not just the young guys who can crash a high-HP car. I'll agree that there's some kid crashing during a street race on the news just about every other week but please don't make blanket statements that "these cars don't belong with a young driver". Older gearheads make fun of kids for driving Hondas but then on the other hand when we get our hands on a decent car then the story changes to "you can't handle that car". So what can we do?

Anyways I didn't want to take away from the initial point of this thread. A tragic situation but at some point you want to allow your children some freedom and hope they can handle it....

RE: Sorrow

I lost a brother who would be34 now. So I'm sending this with a prayer for,
Your loss. No one know when. Take each day to give a thought.
My prayer goes out to your family.
It, just takes time..GOD BLESS.

Very sad:(

In '98 when I was 18, my mother got the "your son is in the hospital" call. I was riding shot gun in a friend's GN. He was driving too fast, went off the road, hit 2 trees head on. Car was a mangled up mess. I didn't have my seat belt on either. I'm lucky, this guy wasn't:( It was around this time of the year too.