Cam sensor timing

Run back to Oreillys and get a 'cooling system pressure test kit' from their loan-a-tool program. (call first and make the 'parts man' put their hands on it before driving back).

It's sounds like you're losing water somewhere. If it's burping air, the car won't pull it from the overflow bottle until cools off.

Run back to Oreillys and get a 'cooling system pressure test kit' from their loan-a-tool program. (call first and make the 'parts man' put their hands on it before driving back).

It's sounds like you're losing water somewhere. If it's burping air, the car won't pull it from the overflow bottle until cools off.
Ok well I don't have a car to drive over there right now..but in the mean time.. What are the possible causes if my situation? Please don't say head gasket -_-

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

You gotta figure out where your water is going. Surely you can find where it's leaking. Just look for the wet spot. No disrespect intended, but that part's pretty simple. Remember that this all started with a busted timing cover. If this second cover is busted, there's something fishy about the timing set or build.

I hate to tell you, but if your coolant is disappearing and you see no leak under the engine compartment, it may well be leaving out the tailpipe(s). That may be an indicator of a head gasket failure, but it is too early to tell. The best part is that you don't seem to have coolant in the oil.

And how should I do this...

Pull the #1 plug. That's the one on the driver side, closest to the front of the car.

Get some TP (yes, for your bunghole!) and wad a piece up and stuff it in the plug hole. Do NOT stuff it all the way in. Turn the motor over slowly and the TP will pop out on the compression stroke (probably before it gets to TDC). Now you know you're on the compression stroke and can find 25* ATDC in order to ensure the cam sensor is properly set and not 180* out.

You gotta figure out where your water is going. Surely you can find where it's leaking. Just look for the wet spot. No disrespect intended, but that part's pretty simple. Remember that this all started with a busted timing cover. If this second cover is busted, there's something fishy about the timing set or build.

I hate to tell you, but if your coolant is disappearing and you see no leak under the engine compartment, it may well be leaving out the tailpipe(s). That may be an indicator of a head gasket failure, but it is too early to tell. The best part is that you don't seem to have coolant in the oil.

Coolant not being in my oil can indicate what? I just don't understand how my HG is blown..it wasn't before the timing cover came off..

Pull the #1 plug. That's the one on the driver side, closest to the front of the car.

Get some TP (yes, for your bunghole!) and wad a piece up and stuff it in the plug hole. Do NOT stuff it all the way in. Turn the motor over slowly and the TP will pop out on the compression stroke (probably before it gets to TDC). Now you know you're on the compression stroke and can find 25* ATDC in order to ensure the cam sensor is properly set and not 180* out.

So I would need to take everything back apart until I get to my balancer or can I turn it over with all my belts and fan on. (I have a hot air motor)

Coolant not being in my oil can indicate what? I just don't understand how my HG is blown..it wasn't before the timing cover came off..

Coolant in your oil is and indication of a blown head gasket. You don't have coolant in your oil, so that's a good thing. It doesn't mean 100% that you don't have HG failure. Forget about head gaskets for just a moment and work your problems.

Find out where your coolant is going.

Ensure your cam sensor is not 180* out.

Coolant in your oil can come from a head gasket, an intake gasket, or a cracked timing cover. It is possible to lose all three of those examples without having coolant in the oil though.

If you want to make damn sure there's no air you're burping out, just remove the thermostat. That will get all the air out just don't let the overflow go dry when it's drawing back in the radiator.

So I would need to take everything back apart until I get to my balancer or can I turn it over with all my belts and fan on. (I have a hot air motor)

I think you can turn the motor over without taking off all that bs. You may need an extension on the socket though. Earl may know better than me though; I'm not a hot air guy.

Coolant in your oil is and indication of a blown head gasket. You don't have coolant in your oil, so that's a good thing. It doesn't mean 100% that you don't have HG failure. Forget about head gaskets for just a moment and work your problems.

Find out where your coolant is going.

Ensure your cam sensor is not 180* out.

Coolant in your oil can come from a head gasket, an intake gasket, or a cracked timing cover. It is possible to lose all three of those examples without having coolant in the oil though.

If you want to make damn sure there's no air you're burping out, just remove the thermostat. That will get all the air out just don't let the overflow go dry when it's drawing back in the radiator.

Ok, to begin I appreciate you guys helping me. I know I can get annoying but I'm just trying to learn here. I'm sure you guys can understand. Now that being said... I can not find out where my coolant is going. More than likley it is going through my tailpipes. But there is no coolant in my oil. However, my water in the radiator is also disappearing but not as quickly as my coolant. I'm very lost at this point because I'm having trouble pin pointing where to begin. So my question is to you guys: what is the first, second, third etc.. Steps that I should take to narrow this down and to figure out where my coolant and water are going. There's no puddles anywhere(tiny dropping of oil but again this is a buick as SloGN stated)

I don't understand. You said water in the radiator and coolant are disappearing at different rates. Radiator water and coolant are the same thing.

It's possible to vanish out the radiator without noticing smoke due to being diluted with lots of actual exhaust. You really need to pinpoint where the coolant is going. In the meantime I would drain it and fill it back up with tapwater if it's still above freezing there. Antifreeze will physically eat your engine bearings if they ever meet. After running it with no oil, the last thing you need to do is introduce a chemical that will finish them off.

Did you verify the cam sensor setting and/or will the engine rev out now?

I don't understand. You said water in the radiator and coolant are disappearing at different rates. Radiator water and coolant are the same thing.

It's possible to vanish out the radiator without noticing smoke due to being diluted with lots of actual exhaust. You really need to pinpoint where the coolant is going. In the meantime I would drain it and fill it back up with tapwater if it's still above freezing there. Antifreeze will physically eat your engine bearings if they ever meet. After running it with no oil, the last thing you need to do is introduce a chemical that will finish them off.

Did you verify the cam sensor setting and/or will the engine rev out now?

Don't you put water in the radiator cap and coolant in the reservoir..that's what I have been doing. The water level lowers inside the cap and my reservoir becomes completely empty. I can't figure out where my coolant is going or that little amount of water. Could I check my cylinders for water?

Oh and also I figured that weird bog that restricted my acceleration was plugs so I got new ones but have yet to install them. #3 porcelain was cracked it two spots

Don't you put water in the radiator cap and coolant in the reservoir..that's what I have been doing.

Not necessarily. A lot of guys only run water and no antifreeze so they don't destroy the bearing IF coolant were to get in the oil. Stop putting antifreeze in it for now. If it's freezing where you are, set up a space heater near the motor to keep it from freezing.

Gotta figure out where the water is going. And preferably without running the motor.

Not necessarily. A lot of guys only run water and no antifreeze so they don't destroy the bearing IF coolant were to get in the oil. Stop putting antifreeze in it for now. If it's freezing where you are, set up a space heater near the motor to keep it from freezing.

Gotta figure out where the water is going. And preferably without running the motor.

X2

I have tied to help him as much as possible over the phone to try and figure it out and tell him what to look for. he really needs to get a pressure tester to see just how bad the leak is without running the engine.

X2

I have tied to help him as much as possible over the phone to try and figure it out and tell him what to look for. he really needs to get a pressure tester to see just how bad the leak is without running the engine.
Agreed and that's what I need help trouble shooting. Where should I start first. Pressure test to begin with or what. And no more antifreeze..? Why not

What i have always done when filling up the cooling system is to disconnect the hoses from the heater core and use a small funnel and pour in the water/coolant to fill the system. That way you have the engine block,heads full and the radiator without any air pockets,when full put the cap on the radiator fill the overflow tank and you are done, as long as you don't have any internal or external leaks.

Yes it's a little slower filling but the air is pushed out of the system through the radiator fill,so in the long run you will save time.

What i have always done when filling up the cooling system is to disconnect the hoses from the heater core and use a small funnel and pour in the water/coolant to fill the system. That way you have the engine block,heads full and the radiator without any air pockets,when full put the cap on the radiator fill the overflow tank and you are done, as long as you don't have any internal or external leaks.
How does that mean you will have no air in the system ?

But how do we know antifreeze is in my engine. I haven't found any trace if that.. We are just assuming this because where else is it going..it could be pouring out of a hose while I drive for all we know(oh how much I hope this is the case) that's why I want to know what I should do. Pressure test or what. All I see at idle is bubbles going into my reservoir.. Only when I drive is when my coolant disappears. I hope I don't sound stupid