Bison, ROUND 2!!!! get your vote in!!!

Round 2 what will the results be this time?

• Low 10s again and drive it back on the trailer

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • a high 9 sec pass by end of the evening

Votes: 36 56.3%
  • KABOOM!

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Car wont make a full pass

Votes: 5 7.8%

• Total voters
Being inspired by Bison to push the envelope.... Coasted to a 10.48, and this... No knock!! To much boost!! Didn't hurt the stock rods!! But, I gotta fix the deck.. Good luck Brian!! Phil.

Attachments

• IMAG0638.jpg
    IMAG0638.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 280
with this combo, skill will take you to a consistant and repeatable 10.40. it take skill and a lot of luck to go faster.

Being inspired by Bison to push the envelope.... Coasted to a 10.48, and this... No knock!! To much boost!! Didn't hurt the stock rods!! But, I gotta fix the deck.. Good luck Brian!! Phil.
I'd dig a little deeper on that. I've ran 33+psi on a very similar iron headed combo to this one and went 10.29@133.4mph running 28.5psi. It finally cracked the piston running 33+. it was more powerful than this engine. This one makes the same power as the old one but at 3psi less. The heads and intake must be considerably better than the old ones. Looks like the head lifted on yours. Maybe some pre ignition

I'd dig a little deeper on that. I've ran 33+psi on a very similar iron headed combo to this one and went 10.29@133.4mph running 28.5psi. It finally cracked the piston running 33+. it was more powerful than this engine. This one makes the same power as the old one but at 3psi less. The heads and intake must be considerably better than the old ones. Looks like the head lifted on yours. Maybe some pre ignition
It was my fault, there was no pre-ignition. I was running C16. My gate was set-up wrong. Data log showed 312kpa for at least 5 seconds. I'm thinking boost was closer to 40psi. No noise, just smoke, then I let off.. Pulled like it never has before!! I'm really suprised there wsn't more damage. Good luck tomorrow! Wish I could make it.. Phil.

It was my fault, there was no pre-ignition. I was running C16. My gate was set-up wrong. Data log showed 312kpa for at least 5 seconds. I'm thinking boost was closer to 40psi. No noise, just smoke, then I let off.. Pulled like it never has before!! I'm really suprised there wsn't more damage. Good luck tomorrow! Wish I could make it.. Phil.
What was the AFR? Aluminum heads aren't as forgiving as iron. At high power aluminum needs to run richer.

Actual AFR was 10.8, with 24* timing. AFR target was 11.1. Brian might be right on the head lifting, but I'm sure it overboosted quite a bit. Showed no knock retard. Ran 111.00 in the eighth with a crappy 1.8 60ft.. Phil.

Cylinder 1. Don't be sorry, that's racing! Thanks for that 76 turbo!!

Actual AFR was 10.8, with 24* timing. AFR target was 11.1. Brian might be right on the head lifting, but I'm sure it overboosted quite a bit. Showed no knock retard. Ran 111.00 in the eighth with a crappy 1.8 60ft.. Phil.
Phil are you running at F.A.S.T?
If so shoot me the log for that run.

Broke the piston on #1. Car went 6.45@109+ in the eighth. Rolled to 10.13@129. There is a high probability that the piston was initially cracked 3 weeks ago and I just finished it off last night. It layed over around 1200'.

Isn't that the same piston position that went on another thread you have going 10s on stock stuff? Telling us something methinks.

do a 'high school rebuild'........

put in a used piston with the engine in the car..... and go race it... (either re-use the rings, or brush-hone the bore)

:)

Isn't that the same piston position that went on another thread you have going 10s on stock stuff? Telling us something methinks.

That's the most common one to go out. The last in line for fuel. I leaned it badly once and it had some stamp marks on it from burned off electrodes. #4 had some electrode stamp marks too. Those marks were there from someone else. I can see the top of the piston through the spark plug hole and it doesn't look like any pieces broken off. Head should be ok. The turbo didn't swallow anything. That's still and old cast 66 compressor wheel.

do a 'high school rebuild'........

put in a used piston with the engine in the car..... and go race it... (either re-use the rings, or brush-hone the bore)

:)
The thought crossed my mind. Not sure about the crank and block though. It had a clanky sound while running. Probably split right through the middle of the piston through the wrist pin bore. The rings are probably holding the 2 halves together.

Sorry to hear Bison, took out number 1 on girdled motor at Reynolds 2 years ago, there is a limit to stock fuel RAILS!!

Thats when I went to sump and weldon pump and new champion rails, what a difference!!!

Good luck with gettin her back together.

JD

Sorry to hear Bison, took out number 1 on girdled motor at Reynolds 2 years ago, there is a limit to stock fuel RAILS!!

Thats when I went to sump and weldon pump and new champion rails, what a difference!!!

Good luck with gettin her back together.

JD
I didn't lean out on the last pass. The damage was done 2 weeks ago most likely. Champion rails don't help unless they both fed and the regulator is external.