Anyone going to Cordova IL dragway Sunday?

Just took the car out for a ride and it seems to run good.

I didn't get a chance to do a pull in 3rd but I did get on it in 1st and second watching to wideband. I had the alky on 6, 18 psi and my wideband bottomed out at 10 almost right away. The chip is TT 93 with alky 23/21 timing and 23/25 boost so I'm rich at least in 1st and 2nd. My SM was 785 both times and 0 knock. They are repaving my runway so when I get a chance I'll go back out and find a safe road to make another pull this time in 3rd.

Should I just keep raising boost until I get knock with alky on 6?

Just took the car out for a ride and it seems to run good.

I didn't get a chance to do a pull in 3rd but I did get on it in 1st and second watching to wideband. I had the alky on 6, 18 psi and my wideband bottomed out at 10 almost right away. The chip is TT 93 with alky 23/21 timing and 23/25 boost so I'm rich at least in 1st and 2nd. My SM was 785 both times and 0 knock. They are repaving my runway so when I get a chance I'll go back out and find a safe road to make another pull this time in 3rd.

Should I just keep raising boost until I get knock with alky on 6?

Tried calling.
Pull timing when tuning. 20 in 1-2 and 18 in 3rd is a good start.

^^^What he said. Pull timing, MAYBE raise boost to 20psi, then start pulling fuel from your WOT setting until you see 10.5 or so on the wideband. It should feel pretty good at this point. If still no KR, then start raising boost 1psi at a time but realize you'll need to add wot fuel too. I wouldn't straight try to lean it out just by adding boost.

I talked to Bo (TT/Ameasap) on the phone and I'm glad I have a couple friends like Bo and we4Mateo in my area.

Pulling timing wouldn't have been my move. I would have added boost and adjusted fuel to get the correct A/F.

I figured pulling timing would have made the car even fatter and lazy.

It rained here tonight so I didn't get a chance to run the car. I do plan to have the car semi tuned to go meet we4Mateo in Earlville 1/4 mile later this month. Hopefully before the year ends I can get back to Cordova and run with TT/Ameasap too. I want to see the TTA run.

Update; I'm back on the road finally. No powerlogger yet but I do have the WB installed.

Pulled 2.8 timing out and made two 3rd gear pulls.

1st with 18 psi alky 3 and afr was 10 to 10.3 ish zero knock and 765 02's

Turned alky down to 2 and WB read 10.1 to 10.5 back and fourth with a 761 02's and 0 knock.
I did a couple 1st and second gear runs. One I had 1.2 knock at 60 mph and the other was the same with 5.2 knock at 58. I'm guessing this is false knock chirping tires. The WB was low 10's to 11 during the run.
The car seems to spool better than before. Boost shoots to 15 and then climbs to 18. Not sure the car feels any faster but with these cars it's hard to tell. I thought it was fast until I went to the strip. :rolleyes:

Going to turn boost up 1 pound at a time and go from there. I've got a week to get some tuning done before going back to the strip.

Just a side note. I could have never made these 3rd gear runs before without knock. I used to have alky on 6 or 7 and still got a little knock. I got a new alky pump from Julio and that has got to be what is making the difference. The new MAF is out of the equation at WOT. I would have never guessed this.

Update; I'm back on the road finally. No powerlogger yet but I do have the WB installed.

Pulled 2.8 timing out and made two 3rd gear pulls.

1st with 18 psi alky 3 and afr was 10 to 10.3 ish zero knock and 765 02's

Turned alky down to 2 and WB read 10.1 to 10.5 back and fourth with a 761 02's and 0 knock.
I did a couple 1st and second gear runs. One I had 1.2 knock at 60 mph and the other was the same with 5.2 knock at 58. I'm guessing this is false knock chirping tires. The WB was low 10's to 11 during the run.
The car seems to spool better than before. Boost shoots to 15 and then climbs to 18. Not sure the car feels any faster but with these cars it's hard to tell. I thought it was fast until I went to the strip. :rolleyes:

Going to turn boost up 1 pound at a time and go from there. I've got a week to get some tuning done before going back to the strip.

Just a side note. I could have never made these 3rd gear runs before without knock. I used to have alky on 6 or 7 and still got a little knock. I got a new alky pump from Julio and that has got to be what is making the difference. The new MAF is out of the equation at WOT. I would have never guessed this.

Don't use the alky to tune your AFR. Start with alky on 6 and take 10% out of your wot tune in the chip and see what that does. You may need to drop a lot since your chip is set up with enough fuel by default for 25psi and Eric always errors on the side of caution. Then start working the boost up and adjust fuel as needed. Leave the alky on 6 though. It's not building enough pressure otherwise for a good spray pattern. You're probably just not seeing knock b/c of the timing you pulled out. Your timing is thus safe which is good but we're shooting for 20+psi. You'll need alky on 6 to get there so use your TT chip to hit the AFR in the sweet spot then you can start adding timing back to see what it likes after you get the boost up. I like 25psi on these smaller turbos myself :)

...Just a side note. I could have never made these 3rd gear runs before without knock. I used to have alky on 6 or 7 and still got a little knock. I got a new alky pump from Julio and that has got to be what is making the difference. The new MAF is out of the equation at WOT. I would have never guessed this.

You probably had kr from being so rich before, but the alky needs to go back to 6 and adjust fuel with the chip.

...Did I mention yet put the alky back on 6? :p sorry.

I had some weird stuff happen today. I took the car to the Conesville races and before I left I made 2 turns on the rod which should have brought my boost up to 20 ish. I left the alky where I had it. #3

I had the boy with me today and I told him to watch the boost and I watched the wideband. We did a 3rd gear pull and the WB was roughly 10.5 to the top of 3rd. Sheldon said the boost hit 23??? I figured he was miss reading it so I did it again. He was right. I had 1.2 knock which didn't concern me too much.

We went and watched the races and on the drive home I played with the car a bit. It never hit 23 boost again, right around 20. I have felt this before but it just feels like the boost is bleeding off somehow. I checked all the intake hoses from replacing the MAF before I left but what else could cause the boost to vary like it is. On one run the car nosed over before redline and I had 11 knock??? Am I sucking air in somewhere? I'll check the vacuum lines again but can a vacuum leak effect turbo boost that much? I'm getting decent AFR readings so I'm not sure it's a vacuum leak?

When the car boosted to 23 I could feel it. When it bleeds off I can feel that too.

Need to know what to look for.

I had some weird stuff happen today. I took the car to the Conesville races and before I left I made 2 turns on the rod which should have brought my boost up to 20 ish. I left the alky where I had it. #3

I had the boy with me today and I told him to watch the boost and I watched the wideband. We did a 3rd gear pull and the WB was roughly 10.5 to the top of 3rd. Sheldon said the boost hit 23??? I figured he was miss reading it so I did it again. He was right. I had 1.2 knock which didn't concern me too much.

We went and watched the races and on the drive home I played with the car a bit. It never hit 23 boost again, right around 20. I have felt this before but it just feels like the boost is bleeding off somehow. I checked all the intake hoses from replacing the MAF before I left but what else could cause the boost to vary like it is. On one run the car nosed over before redline and I had 11 knock??? Am I sucking air in somewhere? I'll check the vacuum lines again but can a vacuum leak effect turbo boost that much? I'm getting decent AFR readings so I'm not sure it's a vacuum leak?

When the car boosted to 23 I could feel it. When it bleeds off I can feel that too.

Need to know what to look for.

You're using the stock actuator but what are you using for boost control? Factory solenoid or bleeder style like RJC? Not unusual to get weird boost control when the rod starts to get tight. Try loosening back up and increasing boost with a boost controller instead of the rod unless using the factory solenoid where you don't have this option. That'll make it easier to control. If you're using the factory solenoid to control boost, that is most likely your problem. And I'm sure 23psi felt better than 20psi as it was probably starting to lean out a bit and the compressor is just getting efficient north of 20, so it probably felt pretty good. The 10.5 is a rich AFR without enough alky but with alky on 6, 10.5 will feel good at any boost level. You now have two fuel systems to tune but the alky should never be used to control AFR. Add alky on 6 and lower your regular fueling to arrive at the 10.5 AFR regardless of where you end up leaving your boost set.

If you're going to run over 20psi, put your alky back on 6 or risk losing a head gasket.

I have no idea what the car has for boost control? I try and get a picture up so you can see what I'm dealing with.

I'm going to go over everything this morning and look for loose hoses etc.

Here's a few pics.

I already replaced the vacuum line down to the actuator. I need to zip tie everything.

I noticed in this picture I have a small oil leak at the flange on the bottom of the turbo between the actuator and the turbo. You can just see the bolt in this pic.

Yep, you're running the stock solenoid if the "y" hose is still all hooked up. There should be a solenoid attached to your pass side valve cover that goes into the Y, another hose goes to the actuator, and the third hose comes off the compressor housing of the turbo. It'll be hard to control boost over 20psi with this setup. A stock actuator with rjc or similar style boost controller will get you to 20psi easy enough but you may need an hd actuator to control 25psi well. I'd prefer a different boost controller but many have made it work with what you have.

The oil leak is your turbo oil drain that feeds oil from the turbo back to the block. Very common leak. Watch for that tube to crack too; it's common.

This is what I use but there are other variations on the same type. I'm going switch to the turbonetics style on my next engine though just because it's billet and looks a little nicer, imo. Either style eliminates the "y" hose and simply bleeds air to the actuator when pressure exceeds the spring on the checkball. This helps a lot with spool too. The factory ecm opens the gate in stages. This style keeps the gate shut fully until boost overcomes the checkball and then goes all the way open. It maintains better boost control at higher pressures too regardless of which gate you use.

http://rjcracing.com/product/boost-controller/

You could even run without any boost control lines hooked up. Just start off with the rod barely on and work your way tighter with everything else unhooked. I've never done this but the boost control system just bleeds off exhaust energy. Stop it from doing that and boost will go up! Careful not to go too far though but the exhaust pressure will open the gate from the inside.

I'm stopped in a small town right now. Not sure what happened but I lost my lock up on the convertor and boost is super fast. Looked everything over under the hood and can't find a problem. Afr is good tyranny shifting great. Scanmaster wont read on recall anymore either??

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app