Anyone going to Cordova IL dragway Sunday?

BARRACUDA1968

I plan to run the GN for the first time Sunday. I used to race the Cuda at Cordova IL years back. Haven't been to a track since 2005.

It would be nice to meet some new people if anyone has a chance to make it out.

I'm going to have a buddy video tape my runs so I'll be posting them next week.

I have no clue how my car will/should run.

Any guesses as to ET and MPH I should be shooting for based on my combo?

I also have air bag's and Nitto DR's if you have a suggestion on air pressure in each.

I'm really looking forward to it.

15psi in the right bag, maybe even 20. Before my swaybar, I always ran 20psi in the pass and 10psi in the driver side bag but with your HR bar in the rear, I'd leave the bags empty. IDK about pressure in the Nitto's but my MT's like 18-20psi, no lower than 16psi. At 25psi of boost, I think you'll run mid to high-11's at 116mph on a lean and mean tune even with modest timing on a 1.6x 60' if the track will hold you on a 5psi+ launch with a good 1st gear fuel tune for quick spool. ;) 30psi should get you to 122mph and low 11's on a good hook.

Thanks for the information. I can't wait to get there and make a few passes. I'll play it safe and work my way up slowly. No need to break the car the first time out.

I'll make it up and run with you in Earlville before the end of the year.

Make sure that event is really going to happen. I only have word of mouth from a good source, but make sure. I'm only down the road from the track, so it wouldn't bother me if it didn't happen.
Quad city area auto forums is the website.

Just checked their website didn't see anything. I'll call Cordova in the morning and check with them.

BOP at Byron this weekend. The Chicago Buick Club is having a club bracket race on Sunday too.

Not a good day at the track. I did get video that I'll post later. Stopped to eat on way home. My GN needs help.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Here are a couple vids at the track today. I am fairly disappointed in the car. I did have a good time anyway but I put the car on the trailer after 2 runs.

If you look at my sig you would think this car should run better. I made my first run at 22 boost with a 1.9 60ft and ran 13.5 at 99 mph. Had alky on 7, 8% extra fuel and minus 1 degree timing in 3rd and 4th.

The car nosed over a little twice during the run, felt like I ran out of fuel or something? The 02's read 761 and only had .07 KR at 65 mph. Prob when I hit second gear and chirped the tires.

Went to pits and dropped boost to 18 and put the tune back to chip settings. Ran again and the car didn't nose over and picked up just a bit. Still a horrible run considering what this car has on it. I can't believe the tune of this car is that far off. I will post the time slips tomorrow and some more details. This guy is ready for a good nights sleep. Here's the second run.

Here are a couple vids at the track today. I am fairly disappointed in the car. I did have a good time anyway but I put the car on the trailer after 2 runs.

If you look at my sig you would think this car should run better. I made my first run at 22 boost with a 1.9 60ft and ran 13.5 at 99 mph. Had alky on 7, 8% extra fuel and minus 1 degree timing in 3rd and 4th.

The car nosed over a little twice during the run, felt like I ran out of fuel or something? The 02's read 761 and only had .07 KR at 65 mph. Prob when I hit second gear and chirped the tires.

Went to pits and dropped boost to 18 and put the tune back to chip settings. Ran again and the car didn't nose over and picked up just a bit. Still a horrible run considering what this car has on it. I can't believe the tune of this car is that far off. I will post the time slips tomorrow and some more details. This guy is ready for a good nights sleep. Here's the second run.

If it picked up when you dropped boost and reset the chip, I'm guessing you were super rich with alky on 7+ and 8% fuel adjustment. Get rid of the kr with alky and leave it alone, then start upping boost a pound at a time, without adding fuel, and see where it gets you. When you start to see a tickle of kr again or your O2's get really low or you stop picking up mph at the track, then start adding some fuel. You need about 1/2 dozen runs or so to get it closer.

I wideband would speed up the process.

I wasn't sure what to do so I put it on the trailer so I didn't hurt the motor. My 02 readings were a little on the lean side so I figured it was time to check the fuel pump or whatever?

I have been a little nervous about leaning the motor out so I stay on the safe side of the alky. Something is definitely not right or I have the biggest "turd" in the GN community. A stock GN would run with my car.

One other thing I noticed was rpm vs mph. At 100 mph I am 4800 rpm's. I have 26" tall tires so if I do get this thing to run the number I'll be out of gear. Now maybe if I find the HP and TQ I should have it will lengthen the convertor enough to make a 11 second run. Otherwise I'll need overdrive or taller tires.

I wasn't sure what to do so I put it on the trailer so I didn't hurt the motor. My 02 readings were a little on the lean side so I figured it was time to check the fuel pump or whatever?

I have been a little nervous about leaning the motor out so I stay on the safe side of the alky. Something is definitely not right or I have the biggest "turd" in the GN community. A stock GN would run with my car.

One other thing I noticed was rpm vs mph. At 100 mph I am 4800 rpm's. I have 26" tall tires so if I do get this thing to run the number I'll be out of gear. Now maybe if I find the HP and TQ I should have it will lengthen the convertor enough to make a 11 second run. Otherwise I'll need overdrive or taller tires.

1) Def check your wot fuel pressure. Tuning is useless before that. And don't use alky to keep it rich. There is probably a fuel system problem if extra alky is needed.

2) Yes, you'll need taller tires or a locking converter or both to get where you want to go. The 26" tires are too small to trap 115mph especially with unlocked TC and that's where you should be with your equipment and dyno figures easily. Your car should trap 120mph on the right tune and running that TA60 all out. I think 115mph should be doable at 22psi though. You have champ irons but do you have a different cam too?

Time slip?
Tune, tune, tune... If you don't run it to get results you'll never get where you want to be. One change at a time. It takes some runs and trips to the track.

Just keep moving forward.

I have a 206 Comp cam. I know I need to tune but I figured I would do a fuel pressure test first. I meant to do it before I left but ran out of time. My scanmaster readings were good so I went for it.

How do I get the convertor to lock up? Is that something I can do with a chip?

I'm seriously considering a power logger if I come up empty on the fuel test. If that's not the smoking gun then I might as well get something that can give me data. I love to race but I don't not have a lot of extra time to go to the track. It is also 2 hours away. I would rather race than spend all my time tuning somewhat blind if that makes sense.

Here are my time slips. I'm 1987

The car moves ok in the first 1/8 mile for a stocker. With your mods you should be in the 7s in the 1/8 even with the soft launch. Something isn't right.

Check that fuel pressure.

Have you turned down the boost and run w/o the alky? You need some test n tunes sessions where you can make rounds and make small changes to see where they take you.

I have never turned the boost any lower than 18. I also have never run the car hard without alky. If I would have known the fuel pressure was up to par I would have tried a few more things. I plan to go make some rounds with we4Matreo this year. I talked with Bo, (TT/Ameasap) after my 2 passes and we thought it would be best to put it on the trailer until I figure out some things. I haven't had the car very long and I don't have the knowledge or balls to start making adjustments and hammer the car.

The launch felt ok to me and the car seemed to pull hard out of the hole. I left with minimal boost and 32 psi in the DR's. I know I could have done a 1.8 pretty easy with tire pressure and boost.

There were a hole bunch of turbo cars there yesterday. No Buicks but there where some bad boy's running high nines low tens.

I'm looking forward to helping you out a bit. Verify fuel pressure and we'll start tuning at Earlville later this month. TexasT makes great points. Get the boost and timing down to where you can run without kr and no alky and then add back the alky and turn up the boost. That's how I did it and you don't even need to change the fuel settings much as the alky pretty much makes up the difference when cranking up the boost. I had a hard time getting mine to run knock free on anything over 15psi with our swill 91 here. BP helps compared to others but it's all still crap here.

You should be picking up more than 20mph out the back. You and I have similar combos but your heads are better as well as other things. I still think it's rich, but if it's alky rich b/c the reg pump is going south, then that needs to be addressed first. You don't want to run too much alky if you want to go fast, just enough.

You should def be mid to high 7's in the 1/8 and I'm looking for 90mph+ in the 1/8 from your car. With a good tune, that'll get you close to 115mph out the back and easy 11's with a 1.8 60' like you are shooting for. You have a lot of adjustments to do, but as mentioned, they need to be done one at a time and tested.

I'm not bagging on anyone who takes it on the conservative side of not over doing it. Headgaskets or worse are no fun. Putting it on the trailer was the right choice.

What injectors/chip are you running?
Plugs in good condition?
Compression/leakdown test.
Isles well?
Could be underlying issues that need attention before going all in.

You will get there. Plenty here with way more knowledge than me and what's better they are willing to help.

Keep the questions coming.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app