Anyone going to Cordova IL dragway Sunday?

That MAF looks shorter than my stock unit. If I use that I will have to do something with the inlet tube otherwise my inlet tubes won't reach both ends.

Is there a good choice that is the same length as my current MAF?

It is shorter but there is not one that is 3" and stock length except another stocker. I can't tell you if you have enough slack in your hose to make it work or not. Going with a stock MAF is your only other choice, but it's REAL hard to find a good one. The other alternative is to bite the bullet and get powerlogger and an SD2 chip so that you can eliminate the MAF altogether. I like my MAF/translator setup but I will most likely eventually put a speed density setup on my car and drop the MAF. I will break in the new motor with my stock ecm though even with the bigger turbo and who knows, maybe it'll work just fine. I know I like to do things once, but I have more than some and a lot less than most on doing the same mod twice ie: SMC to alkycontrol kit, numerous chips, etc. What's best for your car and future goals is up to you though.

All I can say is this car is getting expensive! :eek:

This MAF deal's gona be $400 before it's over. Then new 28" tall tires. Then bigger injectors. Might as well get a new turbo while I'm at it. LOL

All I can say is this car is getting expensive! :eek:

This MAF deal's gona be $400 before it's over. Then new 28" tall tires. Then bigger injectors. Might as well get a new turbo while I'm at it. LOL

Welcome to the dark side! I think your injectors with Julio's kit will be ok with that turbo even at 30psi. With a bigger turbo, you'll def need more injectors, and maybe a bigger fuel pump, then you'll want to dual feed the rail, and on, and on, and on...

Decisions must be made as to how fast is fast enough. Let's get your current equipment maxxed out first though and then you can decide if it's not enough.

It is shorter but there is not one that is 3" and stock length except another stocker. I can't tell you if you have enough slack in your hose to make it work or not. Going with a stock MAF is your only other choice, but it's REAL hard to find a good one. The other alternative is to bite the bullet and get powerlogger and an SD2 chip so that you can eliminate the MAF altogether. I like my MAF/translator setup but I will most likely eventually put a speed density setup on my car and drop the MAF. I will break in the new motor with my stock ecm though even with the bigger turbo and who knows, maybe it'll work just fine. I know I like to do things once, but I have more than some and a lot less than most on doing the same mod twice ie: SMC to alkycontrol kit, numerous chips, etc. What's best for your car and future goals is up to you though.

I agree with doing things once. I've been down this road before with the Cuda. I wasted more money on that car redoing things over the years. I may just call Full throttle tomorrow and see what they recommend. I'll measure my hose and see if that's even possible with a shorter MAF. If I have to buy extra parts to make the MAF deal work I might as well see what it cost's to go the route you plan on going.

Appreciate all the help.

I agree with doing things once. I've been down this road before with the Cuda. I wasted more money on that car redoing things over the years. I may just call Full throttle tomorrow and see what they recommend. I'll measure my hose and see if that's even possible with a shorter MAF. If I have to buy extra parts to make the MAF deal work I might as well see what it cost's to go the route you plan on going.

Appreciate all the help.

They are all great there. Mike Licht posts on here regularly and that's his screen name and real name. I really look forward to meeting you and getting your car sorted. The journey is the best part though so don't be in too big of a hurry. Once it runs deep 11's, then you're like, "now what? I'll guess I'll build a motor for that next bigger turbo I want to run...hope my tranny, converter, fuel system, safety gear, and suspension are up to task!" etc...

I know exactly what you mean.

I started racing my 1968 Barracuda with a basically stock 340 back in 2001. Ran a 14.2 1st time out. Got in a grudge racing situation with a friend of mine here in town who had a 69 Mach 1 with a 428 4 speed also stock when we started. 4 years later and many many thousand dollars we were both in the 10's. Now keep in mind we kept the cars as stock appearing as possible.

Now I have a $13,000 paint job on the Cuda and I'm scared to get a rock chip on it, so it sits in the shop. I did have a great time doing it.

This is why I bought the GN. It's going to take the place of the Cuda. I do want it to run a 10 eventually without ringing the dog$hit out of all the parts on the car. But I agree, I need to max out what I have.

I look forward to running in Earlville this month too.

I called Full Throttle and got a new MAF and everything needed for that.

I've been doing some research on wide band gauges etc this morning. I have a GNX dash so I have a boost gauge. I really don't want to have to mount a gauge in the car for wideband. I've read a lot about the powerlogger but am undecided on that too. I could use my scanmaster with a powerlogger though.

I need to decide on some sort of wide band piece of equipment. I'm not a serious racer, I drive mostly street but I do want my car to run at it's maximum potential. I just don't trust the NB for tuning.

Any thoughts? Do I need a powerlogger or is there something else that will do just as good?

Mike at Full Throttle said that running Alky kind of messes with the NB 02 readings. Well he said a lot more than that but that's what I took from the conversation. He also told me how to go tune the car using what I have. I just think I would feel better with more reliable data.

Never mind I ordered the powerlogger.

lol. I haven't taken that step yet, so I'm curious to hear from you how everything goes. You won't regret it. I believe the SM even works better with the PL. You'll need a laptop, of course, and are you installing it yourself in your current ecm or are you getting another ecm to install it on? Doing the ecm mod yourself? I'm just curious to hear first hand how hard or easy it is to do.

Best of luck and I really look forward to seeing your car fly!

I'm going to install it myself. I've done a bunch of reading on it and I think I'm dumber now than I was before I started. A bunch of guys have done it so I'll give it a whirl. LOL

I have a laptop so I got that covered. Mike at Full Throttle said I can tune the car without it and I'm sure I could but with Alky and I plan on running 25 pounds of boost I feel better knowing what's going on.

Once I get the car tuned decent then the wide band and scanmaster will keep my mind at ease.

I plan to use my ECM and I should document the install because I can't find any step by step install with pictures or video anywhere. That would be real helpful. Me and instruction manuals don't get along. I need to see it then I can do it.

I'm going to install it myself. I've done a bunch of reading on it and I think I'm dumber now than I was before I started. A bunch of guys have done it so I'll give it a whirl. LOL

I have a laptop so I got that covered. Mike at Full Throttle said I can tune the car without it and I'm sure I could but with Alky and I plan on running 25 pounds of boost I feel better knowing what's going on.

Once I get the car tuned decent then the wide band and scanmaster will keep my mind at ease.

I plan to use my ECM and I should document the install because I can't find any step by step install with pictures or video anywhere. That would be real helpful. Me and instruction manuals don't get along. I need to see it then I can do it.

Good reasoning on the PL. I'm too cheap and/or broke right now to do it, but it is great! I know the PL would let me get a few more tenths and rwhp out of my car. Someday...

I think the TT forum might have instructions. Try this: http://www.turbotweak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?13-Powerlogger-for-Buick

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out when I get home from work.

From my ET on Sunday I only need about 2 seconds to get my car in the game.

I pulled in to the dragstrip with the GN on the trailer and there were a lot of turbo cars there that day. I got a lot of respectful looks from those guy's. You know the thumbs up yada yada yada.

Then I ran the car and they were watching. Well the bottom line was I wasn't scaring anybody. LOL :cool:

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out when I get home from work.

From my ET on Sunday I only need about 2 seconds to get my car in the game.

I pulled in to the dragstrip with the GN on the trailer and there were a lot of turbo cars there that day. I got a lot of respectful looks from those guy's. You know the thumbs up yada yada yada.

Then I ran the car and they were watching. Well the bottom line was I wasn't scaring anybody. LOL :cool:

That's funny. I drive in and no one notices me until I do run. When I go to BG though, I'm the slowest guy there :D.

Yeah it was a little humbling for sure. The first race on video was against a Pontiac G8 with a chip. The kid was 21 years old and the nephew of the guy I took with me. He drove his car up and followed us. Everyone was like you're gona see the big bad Grand National run so watch out. He doesn't even know what a GN is. Then after the first run he was like, I was catching you.

Now he's a nice kid and everything but I wanted to bi$ch slap him. LOL

This was his second time to a track so I enjoyed watching him go. He raced a 2012 Camaro SS like 5 times. The guy with the Camaro was a nice guy too but all he knew was he had a V8 and the car was yellow.

The kid got fed a sandwich like I've never seen at the tree. But still managed to run him down. Since he made the "I was catching you" comment I had a good time with that.

All in all I had a fun day which is what it's all about. I will however not get run up on by a G8 again!

Update; I got he AEM wideband installed tonight. I'm still waiting on the LT1 MAF and translator.

I also talked with Julio at Alycontrol about making sure my alky settings were right in the controller. He asked how old my pump was and I told him it was put on the car in 2007. He said the pump was junk. I said it still pumps and works. He said the pump was junk again. So I ordered a new pump and I have that installed too.

The 28" tires are installed and look nice!

Hopefully I'll get my MAF and powerlogger soon so I can get this car back on the road.

One other thing that was wrong on the car was the boost gauge and the Map sensor were Tee'd together. Julio told me how so correct that so I did. Boost has it's own vacuum and so does the Map sensor.

I started the car tonight after I installed the wideband and the car is idling at 10.2 warmed up. LOL

Little at a time. Thats about the most important thing I seen on the car to be corrected. Cant ever have too many zip ties on these motors...Totally forgot to ask about the alky pump.
Bring the kid again. I will give him a ride.;)
I guarantee he will be slapping a for sale sign in that G8 and looking for a TB.:D

I never did ask Julio but or you but if the boost gauge and the map sensor were tied together wouldn't that give false readings to both somewhat?

From my experience, yes. But not by much.
Alky gets the signal from the MAP sensor and that is what I (or anyone should) watch. The gauge is just reference. You will probably see a discrepancy between the two when you get the PL hooked up.

I've got the MAF installed now and the car idles fine.

Question 1. How do I reset the check engine light?

Question 2. Do I need to unhook the ECM and reset the chip?

Thanks Brett