87 GN for my sons first car ?

i'm 30 now, and still drive everything like i stole some of the time. for a first car, no. i think all first cars just have such a risk of getting wrecked within the first year. if he thinks it's special, then an occasional cruise car, sure. it'd help keep it in that rare and still valuable condition too. i can only speak for myself, dad let me take his gn out on a date, got a ticket during 86mph taking off from a green light, then outran them, but they found me after they turned around (i had turned off into a church), but i only got a speeding ticket. i told him i was in a hurry to "park":wink: oh, those were the days. if i had been allowed to drive it more back then, i'm positive i would have been in a bad wreck. and i guess it also depends where you live and how traffic is. i'm in atlanta, i don't feel comfortable leaving my car in any parking lot around here for any time frame. and the other drivers just kill me, all texting and reading books instead of driving. your son may be the exception, and you live where traffic and crime isn't bad, but i don't think i could do that for a first car.

I wouldn't be so worried about him driving it or how he drives more than i would worry about leaving it out of sight and parking it at malls or even at school since these things are theif magnets

Folks can't keep the thievin rats from boosting these cars in thier driveways...How in the hell would you expect the GN to last a week at a college parking lot??

Kids are not stupid! They well know to "behave" like little angels when around the family, and let it all hang out, the minute U R out of site. I'd bet the farm, a new set of tires on that car will be bald B4 the semester is done...
Maybe a betting pool?
What goes first:
Tires.
Trans.
Drivers license.
A BAD choice for a first car.

I agree with the majority, a GN is not a good choice for a first car. No matter how good of a driver your son might be there is always some @ss-hole out there that will want to race him or is going to taunt him. From personal experience I have had jerk-offs cut me off or play leap frog just to get me to race. I don't mind whoopin @$$ when its a long straight away and there's no traffic but when my kids are in the car I don't play around. The other thing I don't think anybody has mentioned is insurance. A 16 yr old with a sports car is definetly a huge increase in your premiums. IMO lets just say back when I was in highschool any car you got to drive to school was a cool car. I drove an old chevy wagon with tha woody look and I got plenty of tail in it. lol:biggrin:

I would be more worried about a 16 year old wrapppimg it around a tree. I would ask TT to custom burn a chip with Low timing and boost

don't forget to REMOVE the actuator off of the turbo. this would be the only way i would do it.
Heck when i let my brother (42 years old) drive my car i removed the Actuator.
temptation will be a great force that he will have to fight every time he drives the car. This way he can give in to temptation and not hurt him self or anyone else or the car.
Don't forget to get Full cover and to list him on the policy.
Good luck.

DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! I wrecked my first car within 13 days of getting my license. I raced dirtbikes, drove the farm trucks and equipment, semis, the whole nine yards and thought I had good experience. Well lets just say i didnt! I was just driving down the road and accelerated going up a hill when the back tires broke loose and I rolled my Cutlass in the ditch. No matter how good the kid is, he's not experienced. A Grand National is an extremely powerfull car. Huge risk of losing your son. Who gives a sh*t about the car, your son is what is important. He'd be driving 4000 pounds of deadly steel.

Save it for him until he's 20. Buy him a standard Regal for now.

All depends on the kid. I wanted one for my first car. Patents said no way. Bought me a grand prix gtp for first car. Sold it after 6 months with one minor fender bender in traffic. Then bought a brand new 02 WS6 Trans Am when I was 19. I loved the car and worked so hard for It I spend more time polishing it then driving it but I did get on it and fooled the parents into thinking I drive like an old lady. Sold that with out a flaw.. I have been though alot of cars now and always respected the faster cars. Drove like an ass in the slow junk. That being said I don't think it's a great idea because of how unsafe the Gn would be In a bad wreck and the chance of it getting stolen. Maybe get him something cheap like a corolla or something for his commuting and you guys can play with the Gn togeather and this will be his cool car his friends know he has and can drive it ocassionally and learn to respect It

I think it's a bad idea. Of course this is just my opinion and I guess it also does depend on the kid.

My dad made me a deal when I was younger- basically he said that when I turned 16 he would help- yes that right "help" me buy a car not just outright hand it to me. I had to earn my own money (which I was doing since 12) and then when the time car he would match whatever I had saved up.

When the time came, I wanted a 69 Firebird...($2500) No Dice- Mom said it was too fast (I don't recall the too fast clause being part of the deal but then again moms reserve the right to modify and amend father/son deals)

So, I chose a 78 Camaro.. only ($1800)- again no dice- also fell under the too fast clause...

Finally, my dad brought home a 1982 VW Rabbit diesel 5-speed for me to "test drive" When I saw it I said no way. We drove it around and I still said no way... Then the parents made me an offer I couldn't refuse... Buy this car or ride from MI to FL with mom and sis listening to pop crap music or ride with dad listening to AM talk radio.... I bought the car and jammed to Iron maiden all the way to FL.... Only cost me $23.00 in diesel fuel.

BTW, I pretty much drove like a grandma when the parents were around so they wouldn't bother me. But when they weren't in the vicinity...:eek:

It was my stupid car so I took care of it and eventually sold it when dad agreed I had enough experience driving and co-signed for a loan for me (1985 Camaro- yeah baby!). I paid the payments and the insurance and the gas. Nothing was handed to me. If I didn't work, I didn't drive. Pretty simple.

After doing lots of stupid things in my Camaro and racking up more moving violations than anyone I know, I finally discovered the TR... The rest is history...

The point I'm trying to make is that there has to be some responsibility taken on the part of the youthful driver. I was careful in the stupid rabbit becasue all my money was tied up in it! I started driving stupid when I had some more power in the form of the Camaro (v6) - never wrecked it but came close a few times) Started learning my lesson after paying the police to keep stopping me.;)

My neighbor just turned 16 in Jan. You can hear him everyday squealing the tires all over the neighborhood. Already has gotten two tickets in the past few months... Can't keep tires on the truck and can't keep the gas tank full - Wonder why...:rolleyes:

Anyway, I hope that you will at least try to impart some apparently forgotten lesson (at least these days)- That a young man or young lady, for that matter, should not expect things to be handed to them and that they should be expected to earn what they have. If you don't work for it and earn it, you won't respect it....

Besides all this life lesson stuff, I don't think I'd let my parents drive a TR (no matter how stock) much less a inexperienced 16 year old kid... Still lots of power and pretty squirrelly in the rain...

my .02:cool:

Lucky kid! I bought by GN in August with my own cash (2300). I am 15 right now, and turning 16 in September. I honestly believe a kid can be responsible with the car. My parents have already laid down the law. They said one ticket, license gone till I leave for College :p. They also said that I have to keep my grades up.. But that doesnt really help with driving? They see me as more responsible than my older brother.. Who I agree isn't. Anyways, what I am trying to get at, is that it is your decision. If he seems responsible (compared to an older brother is better) then, let him have it. If you do not think he is responsible enough, then dont. And to you all that say daily driving a GN is BAD. Its not, its a car! Its meant to be driven. They are not built to be trailer queens.

ZNix

And to you all that say daily driving a GN is BAD. Its not, its a car! Its meant to be driven. They are not built to be trailer queens.

ZNix

We don't necessarily say using a GN as a DD is bad, just not ideal. Obviously you haven't had the fun of loosing powermaster brakes on the highway, or having a 20+ year old sensor crap out and leave you stranded... (ask me how I know):eek: Had 2 powermasters crap out during rush hour on the infamous I-5 in CA.... Not pretty.

There are a few folks here driving them as DD's but they usually wrench on their own stuff and are usually more knowledgeable and better prepared tham most... (ie: they carry spare everything with them)

Just something to consider.

Lucky kid! I bought by GN in August with my own cash (2300). I am 15 right now, and turning 16 in September. I honestly believe a kid can be responsible with the car. My parents have already laid down the law. They said one ticket, license gone till I leave for College :p. They also said that I have to keep my grades up.. But that doesnt really help with driving? They see me as more responsible than my older brother.. Who I agree isn't. Anyways, what I am trying to get at, is that it is your decision. If he seems responsible (compared to an older brother is better) then, let him have it. If you do not think he is responsible enough, then dont. And to you all that say daily driving a GN is BAD. Its not, its a car! Its meant to be driven. They are not built to be trailer queens.

ZNix

And when you come out of class one day or the movies or mall and yor DD gn is not there tell me how your gonna feel then ask me how i know i just got lucky and got it back 6 hours later with the usual damage it's a sinking feeling let me tell you ( and all this happend in front of my house)

If it gets stolen, it will hurt for a while. But then Ill move on. It happens. But I plan on having some security in it as well.

I was 15 when I got my first car. It was a 1978 Trans Am that was hot-rodded up to hell and back by the previous owner. I couldn't get a race if I wanted one because the car already had some serious street cred. Several of my friends had quick cars as well. The school parking lot sported TAs, Camaros, a Sport Satellite & even a bad ass Cuda, and this was in the 90s.

Did I NEED a car like that at 15? Nah. But I sure had a blast in it. And as the years went on, I had other vehicles that would hold their own in a racing environment. BUT, my parents hammered "always leave the racing for the track" into me. And that's what I did. And yea, they were very cool with me doing plenty of running at the drag strip.

You know your son far better than anyone here. If you think he will be ok in the car, I see no problem with it.

That said, no, I won't be turning the keys to the GN or the Jeep over to my daughter anytime soon. LOL! She has a lead foot and isn't quiete ready for the power that would be at her disposal.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Gas mileage is good. They really arent very fast at all stock so he should be fine. What a dream that would have been at 16 years old.

That was my dream as I was 16 when these cars came out.:D

Way too much car for a 16 year old and the results could be tragic. If you want hold onto it and give it to them down the road.

I did this for my kid.

He was seventeen. He absolutly loved the car.

Here are the problems.
1. Parked at a party and a sixteen year old ran into the fender.
2. Took it to take a test on a Saturday. It snowed. I had to go get the car and drive it home.
3. Being a twenty year old car, things broke.
Lost a power master.
Broken a arm.
Etc.

He finally got frustrated even after being warned that it was a old car and things would brake.

I ended up selling it and getting him a Mustang.

He regrets getting rid of it now. But that is nature of an 18 yr. old kid.

My advise.... Get him something more reliable to drive daily and save the GN for both of you to enjoy on the weekends.

My kid and I always take the GN out together, even if just to go get a cup of coffee. Quality time and we have fun with it.

Here's the result of a first time joy ride. :eek:

I vote NO until it's paid for, and responsibility is shown with a cheaper slower alternative.

87gn007.jpg

Here's the result of a first time joy ride. :eek:

I vote NO until it's paid for, and responsibility is shown with a cheaper slower alternative.

87gn007.jpg

I hope your kidding about that being a first time joy ride that sucks for both involved if true

i see no problem with buying a 16yr old a muscle car. my first car was a t-type. just teach him how to drive the car, drive like an a-hole or be stupid with it.

he'll also learn how to work on cars if you plan on using it as a daily driver because a 23 year old car can be reliable but like you said could also turn into a PITA if it needs to be a daily driver.

so yes for a muscle car. but probably not a GN.