11" bolt on brakes

Why did you replace the right upper a-arm? It still has a parts sticker on it.

turbofish38 said:
The only thing I might add is those sealed hub and bearing assemblies are a POS! They wear rather fast for some reason. To bad you dont have any comparison tests. Sounds like a lot of work IMO for an extra 1/2 inch in diameter but I guess its the surface area that counts. BTW I haven't found any bolt on brake components that will fit on those spindles and hubs to upgrade them to a larger size with out doing the same old LS1/1LE modifactions, i.e. caliper adapter brackets.

It's not just about .5" in diameter.
It's about applying more pressure across the pad with less flex. It's about a heavier rotor, that allows for ability to heat sink more heat. Better caliper mounting with less flex, and less potential to bind.

I am really interested in doing this setup, but did you happen to do any measurements on whether it changed how far in or out the mounting pad for the wheel is? My fronts are about perfect (17x8 with 4" BS) and im worried about it shifting either way too much (the LS1 swap moves the wheel out a bit and i don't think it would look very good on my car. Good job on the swap though and thanks for sharing with the community.

that really looks like a great set up. the duel piston's calipers must be better then the stock stuff. i wonder how much heavier this is then stock?

that brake hose looks like it will snap if turned all the way left... see if the hose on the caliper end can be turned 180*... how much did it cost from the jyard???

mybuick said:
that brake hose looks like it will snap if turned all the way left... see if the hose on the caliper end can be turned 180*... how much did it cost from the jyard???

i bent the brake bracket down where its suppose to be now

I paid $250 for both sides plus the line adapters $5.00 for 2

John Larkin said:
Why did you replace the right upper a-arm? It still has a parts sticker on it.

thats the way i bought the car the previous owner rebuild the whole front suspension and put new upper control arms assy on it .

So, what exactly are the parts? Lets peice this thing together.

Tie rod end?
upper and lower ball joints?
spindle
rotor
caliper

anything else?

We know that new rotors are $80 / pair on ebay. I wonder what other parts we can get new. Spindles and calipers may be the best parts to get from the boneyard.

The answers to what everyone needs are in the posts. You need the knuckle (SPINDLE) assembly that includes the rotor,caliper,wheel bearing and the spindle. You do not need the upper and lower control arms or tie rods from the donor vehicle.

Hey Eric (fisher),

Do you think you can get an exploded parts diagram for us from GM with the GM part numbers? Maybe scan a page and post it?

I wonder if different years offer different options on calipers, etc. Like the S10's did with the rear brake cylinders.

Sounds like a Very good setup! But questions, How will these fit with actual GNX rims with there BSing? and how does the LS1 setup compare to this one???? concerning braking and ease of install, etc.

jsta6 said:
Hey Eric (fisher),

Do you think you can get an exploded parts diagram for us from GM with the GM part numbers? Maybe scan a page and post it?

I wonder if different years offer different options on calipers, etc. Like the S10's did with the rear brake cylinders.

Yeah let me scan a page or two from the parts and shop manual. There was only one rotor and caliper used on this application. I've scanned the books and made a trip or two to the boneyard to see if anything will bolt on to these spindle/hub assemblies and nothing will unless you make some adapter brackets to mount the caliper brackets on. My thinking is if you have to that than you might as well modify the stock parts and go the LS1/1LE route.

turbofish38 said:
Yeah let me scan a page or two from the parts and shop manual. There was only one rotor and caliper used on this application. I've scanned the books and made a trip or two to the boneyard to see if anything will bolt on to these spindle/hub assemblies and nothing will unless you make some adapter brackets to mount the caliper brackets on. My thinking is if you have to that than you might as well modify the stock parts and go the LS1/1LE route.
i can see what you mean. but this set up would work well for the guys with racing wheel's as most are 15 inch rims. we use skinny pro stars and if that set up would work. i would use it . i would have to say the calipers should do a better job of stoping the car after a 130 mph run. the only other thing to use with 15 in. rims is the high dollar after market stuff. what do you think?