Z-28 wheel ?

nastynavy

I am purchasing a set of 16" 5 star wheels off of a 2000 or so Z-28. What will it take to make these fit right on my 87 T? I know the fronts should fit fine but what about the rears? Do I need spacers or will they even work at all? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
Josh

You will need 1" to 1.25" wheel spacers. Make sure you get the billet ones.

Others will probably chime in.

Originally posted by nastynavy
Do you have to use spacers on the front or just the rear? Thanks for your response.
Josh

Front and rear.

ditch them and get the SLP 17" ZR1/Z28 SS wheels that are made to fit G-Bodys. $699 a set with no need for spacers...they look sweet too!

You don't need spacers w/ the front IROC wheels on the rear. I run them, but I do use a 7/16" spacer for appearance and 2" lug studs for safety. I have four fronts on my red T, but if you have to use a rear wheel on the front, you'll will need about 9/16" in spacers and 2" studs for safety. Pics in signature URL.

Originally posted by Red Regal T
You don't need spacers w/ the front IROC wheels on the rear. I run them, but I do use a 7/16" spacer for appearance and 2" lug studs for safety. I have four fronts on my red T, but if you have to use a rear wheel on the front, you'll will need about 9/16" in spacers and 2" studs for safety. Pics in signature URL.

Thanks for the info. Are the IROC wheels the same backspacing as the newer Z-28 wheels? Also where would I get the spacers for the wheels. As far as the 17" wheels go I would love to get those but for what I paid for the rims with brand new Dunlops on the front and new M/T Drag Radials on the back I probably couldn't buy 2 tires for those 17's. Thanks for all your help.

Thanks for the info. Are the IROC wheels the same backspacing as the newer Z-28 wheels? Also where would I get the spacers for the wheels.

I would imagine they are the same because they are 16" wheels. Spacers can be purchased at most parts stores or even from Summit or Jegs. Don't forget to buy 2" studs. There are direct replacement 2" studs for Regals.

Thanks for your help. It's funny, we always stay at the Motel 6 at the nats and your car is always parked right outside our room every year. Nice car.

The 93-2002 F body wheels have an offset similar to what is used on the 84-up Corvettes. It is ALL back spacing.
The 82-92 F body is similar to the G bodies, but still not exact. 4 fronts is preferred when using the 16x8 82-92 F body rims. They will bolt on fine without spacers.
You wont even be able to bolt the 93-2002 F body wheels on without spacers since they will hit the back of the wheel well before the rim comes in contact with the axle flange.
Get the thick spacers as recommended as you will need them.

So with the newer wheels I will need 9/16" spacers on the front and rear? Or will the front need less of a spacer? Thanks,
Josh

It's funny, we always stay at the Motel 6 at the nats and your car is always parked right outside our room every year. Nice car.

I plan it that way. ;)

On the later Z-28 wheels, as GNVAIR said, are all backspace like Corvette wheels. I'm pretty sure you need billet spacers that cost almost as much as the wheels. Probably like 2" or 3" spacers. One of the South Florida guys, jsta6, was using them. One broke and totalled out his quarter panel.