X member mod..

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Am planning on using the stock x member for the build.
The ? is: What did you do to modify the mount, when using a 4L80E trans?
It appears that the mount bolts are directly above the x mbr, with the engine mounted at 1" in ft of the pass side firewall.
I'm not sure, does the 4L80 have different length tail hsgs? [Like 1 that may move the mount point to the rear??]
NE pics of such mod??

TIA,:D

Hi Chuck,
It was a simple mod to factory crossmember to make it work with my 4L80E. Here's a pic. I actually moved the mount too low. In order to get my engine to sit at the proper angle, I had to run approx 1.0" worth of spacers between the mount and the crossmember. The 4L80E tailhousing mounts are all in the same location.
005-1.jpg

Hi Chuck,
It was a simple mod to factory crossmember to make it work with my 4L80E. Here's a pic. I actually moved the mount too low. In order to get my engine to sit at the proper angle, I had to run approx 1.0" worth of spacers between the mount and the crossmember. The 4L80E tailhousing mounts are all in the same location.
005-1.jpg

Hmmnn...Evidently, I have the engine a bit closer to the firewall than you have. The lower bolts would end up against the x member.
I can't raise the rear of the engine up much more, as the bolt pattern bosses hit the tunnel.
It may be time to reconsider the engine location.

Thanks for the help!

there is a kit
for ls in a g body
www.brphotrods.com

slightly pricy

with a hummer h3 oil pan no x member mod.

hope it help

U R correct on the $$:)
I used the H3 pan on my 55 install. Worked great w/ the added steering clearance. [Rear steer].
The pan I have now, is an H2, off of the 55 engine. [LQ4] Sump is deeper than I would like, but ......
I've fabbed a pair of poly mounts, similar to the BRP.

Thanks for the input...:D

i installing a ls ( lq4 ) engine in a g body for my good friend sebastien with a GT4718r
i will know if the brp hotrod kit fit good.

Done deal... I cut that sucker up!:D
The ft x member will now accept most any LS pan. The plan is to use the H2 Hummer pan. May shorten the sump a bit. Not paying $400 for a pan....

Thanks all, for the replies.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!:)