Wiring switch for Ramcharger's fans...please help!!

Maltman

I have the stocker with a "powered" switch sending current to the resistor (no fuse....I know, not safe at all). Anyway, I want to maintain an "override" for the fans, but I can't seem to get a clear understanding through all the old posts on how to use my switch (ashtray) to kick the fans on with the key off.

I ordered the Ramchargers duals with the adapter, but I know that I'm not going to be able to use the current wiring for overriding the new fans.

If you have a good wiring plan for me, please...counsel me :)

Thanks in advance,

two ways
1 come from bat with in line fuse to your ash tray s/w ( you can also use that wire to power other options ) from the s/w to the or a fan relay from that relay to the fan

2 from the the always hot side of the fuse box always with an inline fuse to your ashtray s/w from the s/w to the or a fan relay from that relay to the fan

you should use a relay to handle the current load from the fans

except I don't know what to do when it comes to relays....I guess I should have paid attention in physics class dang it. Anyway, hate to say it, but I'm going to need a little more on the specifics of wiring.

Yes, I am a noob. :D

Thanks,

I'm considering the dual fan deal myself and I am interested in the replies.

Here's what I'd like to do. I already have a manual switch that grounds the delay relay like the high temp switch.

I would like to wire one of the 2 fans to the low speed relay, and the other to the high speed. This is under the assumption that the load from independent fan motors can be handled by the existing individual relays.

I then figured I could run a small jumper wire from the high speed relay "switched" termnal to the low speed relay "signal" power. This is to make the "low" speed fan operate in the rare case that the ECM does not command low speed, but the manual switch commands high. (or any other where high is called).

Thoughts?

the best thing that i did was to by pass the factory fan circuit
I bought a flex a lite fan kit (twin 10inch fans over 2000cfm) with a adj. temp switch so I can turn the fans on at what ever temp
I have mine set to come around 180 around town they stay on a good bit but on the highway they go off ( I also installed a led light next to my water temp gauge to let me know that they are on)
It has an input for air condition and manual switch
every thing is in a nice little box and it is very easy to connect
comes with its on temp sender (mercury) that mounts in the mouth of the upper radiator hose or you can push it in between the cooling fins right beside the upper raid. hose
pretty neet little deal and im not sure but i think you can get it with out buy there fans

Originally posted by Maltman
except I don't know what to do when it comes to relays....I guess I should have paid attention in physics class dang it. Anyway, hate to say it, but I'm going to need a little more on the specifics of wiring.

Yes, I am a noob. :D

Thanks,

Use your switch to ground the green wire at the low or green/wht at the high speed relay.

If you do the high speed relay, you will trigger the delay relay which wil keep the fan on for up to 10 mins with the key off.

Originally posted by TurboJim
Use your switch to ground the green wire at the low or green/wht at the high speed relay.

If you do the high speed relay, you will trigger the delay relay which wil keep the fan on for up to 10 mins with the key off.

Ok...I think I can handle that...and I like the idea of getting another wire out of the fuse panel.

I like the idea of the high speed so I don't have to leave the ignition on....should work fine at the track.

Thanks (everyone) for the help!

Casper's fan switch kit...

"Maltman", you can always use a Casper "hi-lo fan switch kit" like I have and that is plug-and-play...It's very simple to install, and there are NO wires to cut, and can be removed at a later date if you ever decide you don't want it anymore...
Claude :)

Well, the wires are already ran....and I'm spending too much cash on this car already! :D

I think I'm just going to keep it simple and ground out the green/yellow wire at the relay on the driver's side fender. Thanks for the info though. :)

Also, I did some searching and noticed that people were saying the factory had a "delay" set in so that it would kick the fans on with heat soak. Well, I thought I'd pull that relay off and check it out since I never noticed that happening on my car.....pretty sure it isn't good to hear crap moving around inside the relay when you shake it!!! Sounds like a baby rattle.

I'm willing to bet this thing has been contributing to my battery drain....or at least I'm hoping it was, that would make my day. Went to dealer to replace = list of $55!!!!

Out of respect for the 80's...I'll be buying that relay.....NOT. Never used it for as long as I owned it, why start now?