Wiring my fan to a toggle switch inside the car...need some tips

d0n_3d

Boost is good.
Ok guys...for all you electrical gurus out there...right now I am running my coolant fan directly off the battery and I have gotton rid of the stock resistor and wiring harness hookup...

What I want to do is keep my jumper cables connected to the fan running off the battery but it's getting to be a pain having to pop the hood open everytime I want to turn the fan on/off all the time so I want a toggle switch setup inside the car. What gauge wire should I use to splice into the jumper cables and what kind of switch will handle this?

May I ask why are you doing this? You can easily tap the high side trigger of the factory relay with a simple on/off toggle and by doing this its on a timer set around 10min when the ignition key is off.

Use a relay, whatever you do. You don't need a 30AMP wire running around inside the car. Relays are pretty easy to figure out if you spend a couple minutes looking at the diagram while scratching your head. The basic idea is you have a low amp wire and switch controlling a high amp wire.

If you use the factory relay, that's even better because you can just splice into that wiring with your new switched wire. The computer will control it most of the time, but then you can override it and turn it on when you like.

Use a relay. You don't want 30 amps or so INSIDE your car. Bad. Hell you should be able to use the factory relay.

Use the relay! Ditto what UNGN said! You would need to splice into the green wire with the yellow stripe at the larger fan timer relay where the 3 relays are on driver side engine compartment. You could use a 2 position toggle (off/on) or 3 position (center off) should you want to use one of the toggle position for wiring to lock up TCC at ALDL pin. Some don't recommend this (lock up TCC) and although I did mine this way, I've never used the toggle position for the lock up. Run a ground from the toggle and mount toggle where you want it in car. This would give you manual fan override capability. HTH