Wireing the boost acuator valve closed >

Turbo6TA

Not really Turbo Buick related, but I have a question that applies to something that may have been tried by someone here:

A friend has a twin turbo LS1 motor. Due to the low placement of the turbo's ( and poor overall design), they are nearly impossible to remove without lots and lots of work ... Anyway, on one of the turbos, the 2 bolts that attach the waste gate actuator mount bracket to the turbo compressor housing are completely stripped.

Due to the placement of the turbos, these bolt holes cannot be re-theaded without removing the turbo.

I was wondering if it would be ok to just wire the little shaft that connects to the waste gate valve (puck) closed. That would result in no boost control and of course max boost being supplied at WOT.

These turbos are fairly small, and I know are not capable of supplying any more than about 12psi boost at full tilt to his forged piston, steel block 6.0L LS1 motor.

The compression ratio on the motor was lowered to 8.7 with forged reverse dome pistons, so I feel the engine components and fuel system he has would handle much more boost than these turbos are capable of ever producing.

I am only worried that wiring the pucks fully closed may result in massive boost spikes.

Do any of you folks think that would be a problem? .... Or, do you see anything else wrong with just wiring these turbos for full boost is a bad idea? (BTW, he uses 2 air to air intercoolers that keep charge air temps very low)

Again, I believe that the turbos now installed are not large enough to ever over-boost this motor.

Thanks for any input,
Ron

This will not be good for either the turbo's or the engine. Just take time to take off the compressor housing and drill, tap, heli-coil them. Do it right the first time to avoid spending three times the time and money in the long run. Drew