will a thrasher chip pass smog???

blown sn-95

I have heard the trasher is an open loop chip. will my car pass the Califoria smog check with a thrasher chip. or must i use and different chip?

The pte is probably not an open loop idle chip. What injectors do you have? If they are stock or 30 lb/hr ones, just use the stock chip.

I doubt you'll pass with the PTE race chip. Just order a Thrasher emissions chip from Scott. I think he can burn one close enough for the 009's.

Dannyo

Honestly, I bet the race chip will be okay. I'd loosen the wastegate rod so there is no tension at all so the tester can't make much boost, for safety, since the wot timing will be too high for 93. Oh, wait, egr. Do you have a scan tool, like TurboLink or DirectScan? If so, go for a short cruise at a steady 45-60 mph and make sure the egr is enabled (the duty cycle should be greater than zero). Then let it idle and make sure the closed loop and learn flags stay lit. If so, it's worth a try to pass.

I guess I'm struck by how often the standard "get an emissions chip" reply gets bandied about. Honestly, if the car is in a good state of tune with a functioning EGR, good cat, O2 in good shape and the right chip calibration, the car should pass okay. We've had cars out here with up to 96# injectors pass with no problems; my car recently underwent "test-only" with 72's and a normal 18* degree street chip and passed.

Morgan
'87 GN 6.95 @ 98 in the 1/8th with a slipping TC

Morgan (and others) is correct. Matter of fact, a well tuned engine does not need a catalytic converter. Those things are only there to clean up emissions from a motor that is out of tune.

Thrashers are designed to run rich at idle. This gives you two things 1) a really smooth idle and 2) very minimal chance of passing emissions.

In addition to selling Thrashers, I also have emissions chips. Whenever someone inquires about an E-chip, I send them a form letter outlining the various things to do to pass emissions. If that doesn't work, then you can purchase and try the E-chip (the vast majority of E-chips that I sell are for larger than stock injectors). Of course some people buy the chip in advance anyway ($20). ;)

E-mail at Scott231@Juno.com if you are interested.