Which is a better fit?

Alteredego

I have a 1932 dodge 4dr sedan. Right now it has a very boring chevy 305/350 combo. This car is perfect for me to have a little fun and come up with something different.
I'm looking at either a GN 3.8 or the sy/ty 4.3. I may have to run a STS remote turbo system because I'm a fan of the full bodied car. With the V8 in it now there is not much room to add anything, sure the V6 is smaller but how much? Any thing wider than the V8 and I'd have to remove the side pannels. Any advice on this would be nery helpful. Oh and by the way I have 0 experence with turbos, and to be honest I dont even know where to start to make this thing run besides the actual motor (short block) and get a 700r4. As for the electronics I'm at a loss.
I've been running roots blowers for a while now.
1981 Bandit TA with a 142 blown 355, and a 1996 indyram with a 6-71 blown 502. never a turbo.

Find a wrecked or bummed out 86-87 Buick and rob the motor AND tranny from it. The motor should not be any wider than a small block. Get an AC delete pulley and possibly a power steering pump delete pully too if the rod doesn't have power steering. This is guaranteed to be 10(10^6) times more entertaining, that means 10 million times more fun so I say do it :)

Avoid the 700r4 and stick to the buick's 200r4, it will hold up fine and does take up less room in the trans tunnel. \

Either get a Casper's wiring harness to adaprt the fuel injection or do it yourself like I did. Go to CRE Loaded 6 - CEI - Casper's Electronics, Inc. or send me a private tell for the wiring.

I know your problem, Im dealing with it trying to fit a big block in a 39 chevy, the problem with the buick is its width, its a wide engine, wider than the current SBC you have. The 4.3 would honestly be much easier as you just need to push the engine mounts back and re use them. As for the turbo, theres many "easy" ways around it. like a blow thru system.

A.j.

I had a 454 BBC in a 1940 Ford Coupe. it wasnt a problem when we started cutting the inner fenders, and dropped in a Mustang II cross member.
The 6-71 blown 502 fits with room to spare in the 1996 Indyram, but anything would fit in a dodge ram.

How much wider is the 3.8 then the 4.3? is it any longer or taller. My friend is pushing me to take the side panels off and have a small turbo sticking out each side with a water to air system tucked in front. I figure if I went this route I'd just do a hot air system and add Meth injection for anything over 8psi. How would this work?
I will have pics shortly on this maybe I can post to get more ideas. It is very hard to get things done from Iraq.

I had a 454 BBC in a 1940 Ford Coupe. it wasnt a problem when we started cutting the inner fenders, and dropped in a Mustang II cross member.
The 6-71 blown 502 fits with room to spare in the 1996 Indyram, but anything would fit in a dodge ram.

How much wider is the 3.8 then the 4.3? is it any longer or taller. My friend is pushing me to take the side panels off and have a small turbo sticking out each side with a water to air system tucked in front. I figure if I went this route I'd just do a hot air system and add Meth injection for anything over 8psi. How would this work?
I will have pics shortly on this maybe I can post to get more ideas. It is very hard to get things done from Iraq.

the 3.8 is 24" cover to cover, while the 4.3 is 22" for width, while for height, there the same. the buick is shorter also. As for induction, well its a street rod your building so the skys the limit really, but a cheap HA system would work great. it depends on the amount of power you want, A real engine? or just a stocker... those will decide induction.

LOL, I know the feeling about being overseas.... finished my time 2 years ago! good luck, keep yer head down! LOL

A.j.

Is there a way to turn the old 3.8 HA motor into a twin turbo blow through system, and make 450ish HP?
I kinda like the 3.8 better than the 4.3, mostly because the GN is my all time favorate car. It seems like it would be cheaper to build too. Do they offer a reg carbed manifold with a distributor type set up I can put on it and fab up some nice headers to mount the turbos tight. That would be the only reason I'd go with the 4.3. My friend keeps sending me pics of the old street rods with the side panels removed to show the chromed out V8, Id love to sport the chromed out V6 that will put out 450-500hp.
Not to mention this was a 6cyl to begin with.

not a problem to do at all.
setting up the exhaust will be a pain, as there is no aftermarket available twin turbo manifolds (well there is but i have rarely seen them) but after that, it should be easy. using a weiand single or a well ported edelbrock dual plane, with a good blowthru carb should easily make 400 HP, while i think the full potential would be a healthy 600. Dizzy can be a Mallory with a MSD 6AL and a BTM

I know the basic idea you shuld come hang out in the Before Black part of the forum, all we do is Carbed turbo stuff.....

:biggrin: A.j.

Not a problem to do at all.
Setting up the exhaust will be a pain, as there is no aftermarket available twin turbo manifolds (well there is but i have rarely seen them) but after that, it should be easy. Using a weiand single or a well ported edelbrock dual plane, with a good blowthru carb should easily make 400 HP, while I think the full potential would be a healthy 600. Dizzy can be a Mallory with a MSD 6AL and a BTM

I know the basic idea you should come hang out in the Before Black part of the forum, all we do is Carbed turbo stuff.....

:biggrin: A.j.

Aj and I am well aquanted with some interesting ideas. We have a kinda race going on.:biggrin: Depending on which one of us gets there first is the big question.:confused: Sorry Aj, I had to correct your spellings.:eek: I have a listing of all the factory manifolds as far as part # so you might be able to come up with something as far as headers. You could also do a mock up and go from there. There IS a great deal of info on here so do some serious reading and ask a lot of questions. We may not answer right away but we do answer.

I just got done working with a guy on the SY/TY forum. He's hooking me up with a 1991 block and crank. As soon as I get them in TX i'll have them worked then sent off for cryo treating.
I'm also just going to break down and buy a 1986-87 GN. I've always wanted one, so I might as well get one and do what you guys do. It may just turn out to be the only car I own that will stay all one manifacturer brand.
Thanks for the help/ ideas guys. I'll still be around looking for my next car and rebuilt tips..

I just picked up a Retrotek Powerjection III unit for the 32.
In other two vehicles I'm running the series II unit with the ECM inside the car. Has anyone had any experince with this series III system?

When retrotek came out with the powerjection I & II system, they wone a bunch of awards at SEMA. I did a little research on it and found only two posts on it. I ended up not only buying one system, but two along with the paddle shifter system. One system is the 750cfm for the TA. the other system is the twin 1200cfm for the 502. I'm very happy with them, you see them in all the mags too. But it's the same senerio again with the III series. I bought it because of the past stuff was great. I only hope it's not a flop and destroy my motor.
Now for my next question.
which trans to run? I now have both a 700r4 and a 200r4. I know the rev limit should be around 5000-5500 on both the 3.8 and the 4.3.
As for the TC, I'll wait until I see what I can dig up on the turbo. I'll be getting twin T04 turbos from STS.
Any advice on these trans would be great, I find 50/50 info on the net.

I did find a couple of links on the powerjection III.
There is a youtube video of one being installed with a new dist. in one hour. Not to sound like a salesman, but carb to EFI in an hour is fast. The systems that I've installed on the other two cars were fast at 4-6 hours. If your in the 400-500 hp range and running a 4bbl carb, you've got to look into this.

When retrotek came out with the powerjection I & II system, they wone a bunch of awards at SEMA. I did a little research on it and found only two posts on it. I ended up not only buying one system, but two along with the paddle shifter system. One system is the 750cfm for the TA. the other system is the twin 1200cfm for the 502. I'm very happy with them, you see them in all the mags too. But it's the same senerio again with the III series. I bought it because of the past stuff was great. I only hope it's not a flop and destroy my motor.
Now for my next question.
which trans to run? I now have both a 700r4 and a 200r4. I know the rev limit should be around 5000-5500 on both the 3.8 and the 4.3.
As for the TC, I'll wait until I see what I can dig up on the turbo. I'll be getting twin T04 turbos from STS.
Any advice on these trans would be great, I find 50/50 info on the net.

either seem to work well behind the buick, with the exception of the 700R4 needing a BOP adapter plate as the 200 will bolt right behind......... the 700 falls behind the 200 in horsepower capability (or so I understand) but the first gear of the 700 sure makes for some tire shredding pavement assults.
As for twins, 2 T04s sounds like it would be excessivly laggy for a 3.8..... unless you plan on laying the money down for an engine to keep up with those.

The retrotek systems are really cool, and they perform quite well from the few people I know with them, i dont know any major details - but they seem to like them.

A.j.

I'm getting closer to getting the V6 together. I now have two T3 super 60s stainless steel long tube headers and a buit 700R4. The guy is selling me a 9/11 TC to go with the 700r4. Has anyone used this type of converter. I havent found much on them. One site on the net bashes them but it seems that the GN guys use them alot. Please tell me about them.

Quick question. Will the 4.3 V6 fit into the 305ci motor mounts? From pics on the web it looks like the mount bolt holes are the same on the block. It appears that the 4.3 is just 4" shorter from the back (dizzy side), is this correct? I wish I was there to do this swap myself. The net is full of people going the other direction, from 4.3 to V8. They use different mounts because of the firewall issues.