Which Cat-back Exhaust System Please?

D

DanW

I have a bad muffler and based on this and searching this board the best solution is a "cat-back" system with mufflers.

For a close to stock 87 Turbo with 66K miles it appears there are three reasonable choices:

1) hooker cat-back with aerochamber mufflers 2 1/2 inch aluminized.

2) Dynomax cat-back with super turbo dynomax mufflers 2 1/4 inch aluminized with stainless outlet.

3) Torque tech 2 1/2 inch aluminized with 14" Dynomax mufflers.

Please let me know which is best and why.
ALso which sounds best and is not TOO loud.

If there is another good choice please let me know.

Thank you.

I purchased the hooker. It was reasonably priced and so has an excellent fit. Looks good and has been fairly easy to install. I would recommend it to anybody with a Gbody. The mufflers seem to flow good and sound nice too.

Originally posted by machinegun
I purchased the hooker. It was reasonably priced and so has an excellent fit. Looks good and has been fairly easy to install. I would recommend it to anybody with a Gbody. The mufflers seem to flow good and sound nice too.

Same here

how much louder than stock??

For all you guys with the Hooker and Aero-chamber set up, do you recall how much louder that set up is compared to the stock system??

Re: how much louder than stock??

Originally posted by JonnyBoost
For all you guys with the Hooker and Aero-chamber set up, do you recall how much louder that set up is compared to the stock system??

Just a "little" louder, inside and out. You can tell you swapped it nobody else might.

Ron

Torque Tech

I have the Torque Tech 2 1/2" dual setup w/stainless steel band clamps on mine with Dynomax Race Magnums. Got it for $309 shipping included. I got the muffs separately from Jegs. Sounds sweeeeet IMO and was a reasonably easy install. It does drone a little at 2K rpm or so but I kinda dig that. If I get tired of it I just turn up the stereo. I have no cat on the car, and have the THDP also, that may affect the sound.

The only gripe I had about them is that the 'behind the wheels' tailpipes were on BO when I ordered it, and had to wait 3 weeks for them.

Steve

Anyone have a website of someone who sells the catback Hooker system for our cars?
Sleeper87

Hey i just ordered mine (hooker cat back with aero chambers, in which they come with automatically) from summit. That is www.summitracing.com 279.00 no shipping charge just handling fee. I believe all said and done it was 301.00 to the door. Like a lot of these guys said, you cant beat the price for the quality product that hooker delivers:) they are not stainless steel, but instead aluminized steel. You wont need to worry about stainless steel unless you park or drive your car in the rain:eek: hope this helps

jojo

Which system to buy

I was also considering the Hooker system for my car but have decided to go with the ATR 2 1/2" Stainless system. I would really like to know how the two compare as far as sound goes. Which is louder but still sounds the best? Anyone have some sound files of either system? I will have the Mease DP with test pipe in front of the system. I'm sure that will make a differance as far as how loud they are.

Oh, and by the way, you can get the Hooker system from either jegs or summit. I think jegs is your best bet for the money.

Hey Quick a buddy of mine here in Vegas has got the hooker cat back with aero chambers and test pipe with THDP and that thing sound ssssssswwwwwwweeeeeeetttttt!!!!!! aero chambers are a straight thru muffler and i just ordered mine with the Mease DP and test pipe, cant wait to bolt them on. And oh and im waiting on my CAS V-4 to arrive also:D what do you think about performance with those upgrades??

thanks

jojo