Where to find parts??

Chucky

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some parts for my 80' Regal with a 231 NA engine.
I've searched a lot and found a few company's who sells a lot for the Regals, but mostly for all the newer Buicks and with a turbo engine. :frown:

Is there a company who sells parts for the older Regals and the NA engines?
And can/will ship it to Europe/The Netherlands?

The things i'm looking for:

deeper oil pan (14 bolts) and enlarged pick-up
HV oil pump
a set of valve springs, retainers, valve seals, etc.

I don't know if there is any interchangeble with the turbo engine's and Regals.

thanx in advance.

Marcel.

If you have the engine torn down have the valve seals cut for small block chevy style. Better design. The valve springs and HV oil pump kits are readily available from any engine rebuilding source. Use a 86-87 pick up instead of stock, it's larger but it helps to enlarge the oiling passages. As far as an oil pan I have no idea where you might find one.

Thanx,

have the 86' 87' regals bigger/deeper oil pans???

And what exactly do i need to cut for the chevy seals?

The eighty engine and the 85 up engines use a different pan all together. As far as having the seals cut you need a seal cutter for the umbrella seals. Check out some of the engine rebuilding sources. The 771/2 use 11/32" valve guides just like the small block chevy so you're looking for a small block chevy seal cutter.

Seal cutter.................hmmm that's new for me.

Well i have something new to learn :)

The change in oil pans where the amount of bolts right?? from 14 to 20 bolts.

thanx for the advice.

Thanx for the info.

I'm going to read the whole story.

So if i use this method i can use a normal pump and my stock oil pan?

In the books i have they strongly advise to have a HV pump and because of the HV pump they advise also a deeper pan and enlarged pick-up.

thanx again. :wink:

Using that write up you don't need a HD oil pump, actually you don't need one at all. You do need to enlarge the oil passages for the crank tho.

There is one other option. Make a boost/thrust plate to help oil presure. The thrust plate is available from AZ, NOreily's, ect. You also need to enlarge the oil pasages in the timing cover and block. This helps more than most people relize.

There is one other option. Make a boost/thrust plate to help oil presure. The thrust plate is available from AZ, NOreily's, ect. You also need to enlarge the oil pasages in the timing cover and block. This helps more than most people relize.
Read the write up I posted, it does that without having to use the plate and another gasket.

i've read the whole thread and the related ones :eek:

I'm going to try this :rolleyes:
I've got an old cover that is cracked so i can practise a bit before i proceed to a good cover :tongue: :biggrin:

If this works, its gonna save me to get a hv pump, block off plate, and a bigger oil pan + enlarged pick up. :smile:

thanx. :)

If you already have the engine torn apart, then the timing cover upgrade may be a good idea. I can't vouch for that mod since I've never tried it and I probably never will, (not too much time now-a-days).

If someone would post a follow up to that thread with positive results after applying that timing cover mod it would be great.

This following thread I'm posting gets into oil problems with a well worn engine. There was never a follow-up, but I posted a drawing on making an oil booster plate. This is a simple bolt on upgrade. I have one and it does wonders, (15-lbs@1100 RPM's idle). If the engine is intact and you want to avoid back problems....this is the lazy man's way out: :biggrin:

Oiling issues in a 79 - TurboBuicks.com

I've got the engine taken apart.

Only the crank, rods and pistons are in place and i want it to keep it that way. I'm want to rebuild the heads, replace the cam and lifters, intake and carb and later on the exhaust including headers.

I want a good running engine with some more power for daily drive.
And that's why i'm reading/asking/deciding what to do with the oiling system.

Before the tear down the engine runs great without any problems. But now it is taken apart i want to build it, better than stock.