where can I get upgraded turbo's or stock turbo's from?

T

twin turboz

I got an 81 turbo 301 trans am. It is missing the turbo, but runs. I dont know what I need to put the turbo on, but I am sure I need pipes and stuff. Can anyone help me out, and point me in teh direction of where to get a turbo from for a good price. I would preffer a bigger turbo. I am new to this car.
Thanks
stealth@plateautel.net

I can fix you up with everything that you need from the turbo, to the pipes to the complete dual exhaust system. I dont think that these cars would respond to a larger turbo. Take a GOOD look at the intake manifold. The 301 turbo is all done at 5000 rpm. I race one of these cars in NHRA Stock Elininator....From my experience, the 301 turbo trans am will respond well to a few modifications but your beating a dead horse thinking that it will ever be a really fast car. It is quite capable of being a low 13 second street car though...... e-mail me or call me at 623-846-1375 .........Neil Smedley :)

So it can never really be fast? I thought a v8 turbo would be fast. Should I just hook up a 350 instead?

Originally posted by Neil Smedley
your beating a dead horse thinking that it will ever be a really fast car. It is quite capable of being a low 13 second street car though...... e-mail me or call me at 623-846-1375 .........Neil Smedley :)

A low 13 sec. STREET car is nothing to scoff at.
That's pretty stout for a TRUE street car, IMO.
Especially if it doesn't require thousands of $,$$$ of mods.

I have 2 11 second street cars, a 95 T/A, and a 91 stealth twin turbo. I have 18 grand in the both, I guess low 13's just sound a little slow when my stealth did that stock.

Originally posted by twin turboz
I have 2 11 second street cars, a 95 T/A, and a 91 stealth twin turbo. I have 18 grand in the both, I guess low 13's just sound a little slow when my stealth did that stock.

:eek: :eek: $18,000:eek: :eek:
I know guys running NMCA streetcar shootout & 9:90 class for less than that.
But hey, I guess they don't have A/C & a new pair of OAKLEYS.
:D :)

Those are some fast cars for the street! A good timeslip at the track doesn't necessarilly represent a fast car on the street though. I don't mean you specifically TTZ, I'm just saying Streetracing is whole different monster than the track. In my experience, sometimes a slower car has an aadvantage on the street over a higher HP car due to several conditions that you just don't have to deal with at the track.

So, are you trying to build a car that's fast on the street or are you trying to build a car that gets good timeslips at the track?
Not that you can't have both but they are two diff. worlds in my openion & experience.

I bought the trans am with 13 grand in the motor for 11 grand. I haven't personally ran it yet at the track, but I got the slips where the previous owner ran it. ALOT of wheel spin on the street though. Probablly high 12's low 13's on the street due to traction.

My stealth is AWD and gets no wheel spin. I did mid 13's stock, and do mid 11's now. It IS an 11 second street car, and haven't lost yet, even to higher HP cars due to wheel spin.

This 81 TTA I just got from my uncle. It has been parked for years, but is straight. It starts, and runs good, but no turbo. I just want it to run good and win SOME races for respect on the street.

I bought the trans am with 13 grand in the motor for 11 grand. I haven't personally ran it yet at the track, but I got the slips where the previous owner ran it. ALOT of wheel spin on the street though. Probablly high 12's low 13's on the street due to traction.

My stealth is AWD and gets no wheel spin. I did mid 13's stock, and do mid 11's now. It IS an 11 second street car, and haven't lost yet, even to higher HP cars due to wheel spin.

This 81 TTA I just got from my uncle. It has been parked for years, but is straight. It starts, and runs good, but no turbo. I just want it to run good and win SOME races for respect on the street.

DAMN man, I bet the stealth's a terror
on the street:cool: Just curious:confused:
what kind of tires you use to hook up an 11 sec. AWD on the street? I guess it's mot like you need slicks with AWD tho, huh.

Does the TTA have a bad turbo or no turbo at all?
I'd think if you could make it a solid 12/13 sec. car on the STREET w/the 301 you could have a lotta fun because everyone always assumes those cars are dogs. I really doubt they'd expect it to be that fast, it could be a real sleeper. I would however understand wanting to switch to a sbc or something easier to get parts for & a stronger bottom end. Especially if your main concern is speed & not origionallity. You could always set the 301 stuff to the side. Heck, it might last longer that way than if you raced it anyway. I'm sure you'll have a good time whatever you end up doing w/it.

I just want it to run good and win SOME races for respect on the street.

You'll get much more respect for a quick 301T than a SBC. Everyone's seen a SBC in f-body.

The 301T was listed as the worst performance engines ever, but many TTA owners have proven this wrong. It's all about correct tuning, not just calling Summit and opening you wallet. ;)

I got 18x9 kuhmo's front and rear. But I got posy traction front and rear, so little wheel spin. I rev to 5200 to launch, pop the clutch, and stick to the seat.:eek: the feeling is amazing. only a chirp from the tires. Thats my baby. I want to keep the turbo, why would a bigger turbo not be better for the TTA? I know I can make it run.:D

Originally posted by b4black

You'll get much more respect for a quick 301T than a SBC. Everyone's seen a SBC in f-body.

TRUE, very true!

It's all about correct tuning, not just calling Summit and opening you wallet. ;)

ROTFL!! :D :D

why would a bigger turbo not be better for the TTA? I know I can make it run.:D

IMO you don't need a bigger turbo
simply because the one that came on the car (T3) can push 18 psi of boost & that is quite a bit of boost for that 301 to handle.
Remember, the more #'s of boost, the more heat that is generated. If you can control heat & detonation you might be able to take full advantage of all 18 #'s but that's the big "trick" of turbocharging anyway, isn't it. Draw thru's can't use I.C.'s like blow thru's so they must find other ways of cooling the charge like water/alc. injection. I've personally never seen anyone replace a Buick/Pont. d.t. turbo with another. I think most ppl that bother to switch turbo's usually change evrything & go the efi/b.t./I.C. route.

I do believe you can have a stock turbo "upgraded" to be more efficient & make more boost but I am not sure who is doing this service anymore:confused: