What suspension mods for an 87 gn to make it pull a 1.0 g on the skidpad

87grandnat

is it possible?, if so what parts would you need. i know that factory they only pulled like a .80 g so it would be a huge improvment and probably pretty hard to do, but i would just like my street car to handle as good as possible, thanks for any help

I forget the testing but 17" tires and 45 series profile work best. Bigger than 17" and weight becomes an issue and lower than 45 series profile and the suspension is shocked by the tires having no give.

Originally posted by 87grandnat
is it possible?, if so what parts would you need. i know that factory they only pulled like a .80 g so it would be a huge improvment and probably pretty hard to do, but i would just like my street car to handle as good as possible, thanks for any help

According to Circle Track Magazine, the old Busch V6 cars typically only did 1.1.
Most streets have enough silt and dust on them to keep you under a 1.0g.
The one advantage you'd have over the Busch car is weight.
But, at 1.0g you need to start paying close attention to oil control in the pan.

You'll want higher rate front and rear springs.
Bilstein shocks.
HRPartsnStuff rear bar.
Polyurethane suspension, and body bushings.
Rear seat, front cross member, frame horn, and fender braces.
Different lower rear arms.
Tall front spindles.
AL bumper reinforcements.
Any creature comforts you're willing to sacrifice to shed weight.
Might have to notch the frame rails to allow for rear axle movement.
More oil pan baffling. Maybe an Accusump.
At least 8 inch wide rims, and probably 9+ to keep the sidewalls from rolling under. 45 series tires probably an aid in that reguard.
YMMV

Yeah you could just put in ultra stiff springs and crazy wide tires and it would pull some nice g's but be a total piece on a twisty road.

I have energy suspension body mount,s 3 front frame braces, rear X brace, 36 mm 1LE sway bar in front, wolfe in the back,, SS lowers ,boxed uppers, B-body spindals, tube a arms, 12 brakes, 255/50/16's, z 28 springs and kyb's and this car handles like a champ on the back roads . night and day with a stock gn
Unless it's for all out autocross I think I have maxed out the reasonable handeling and good ride.