What should this GN bring and how are they doing in general?

Crazy D

Resident Madcap
How's the market on the TR's doing lately? I don't know if it's the economy or what, but I'm worried. A guy I know couldn't sell his loaded 87 T with 50k and only a couple mods, prettiest T I've seen for any more than 9500. At 10,500 he had no bites. On eBay cars I thought would be worth 12-13 are going for 9. I know, eBay is eBay. Then by looking at NADA, I see "avg retail" on an 87 GN is 13,500! Hell, hand it over, you can have mine!

Speaking of mine, I'm not about to start spending money and actively trying to sell it, but the next time someone asks me "wanna sell it" I'm thinking about saying "write the check", only I don't know how much that check should be for, could use some help.

It's an 87 with 53,500 miles. T-Tops, PW, PL, Tilt, Cruise, A/C. Pioneer CD deck, power antenna replaced with fixed mast.
walbro 340 fuel pump, accufab regulator, fp gauge, hooker 2.5" exhaust w/ test pipe, breather bypass, underhood, rear, and front braces, KYB shocks and Variable Springs, tie-down strap solid MAF pipe, vacuum brake conversion, outlaws (2 are scuffed) and BFG 275's put on at 49,500, boost gauge, pillar pod, air/fuel gauge, 009 injectors, TE-44 turbo, ATR 2.5" dp, ported elbow, Duttweiler neck intercooler, torque converter 2800, shift kit, line lock, driveshaft loop, extra vacuum canister, MAF Translator+, LS1 MAF, and Extender chip combo, K&N cone filter :deep breath:

Mechanically ok, cosmetically is the typical mid 80's GM car paint and body wise, has normal wear and tear, though I'd say interior is above average.

Opinions?

The last 3 I sold had less than 60,xxx miles got between $7500 & $8000.00 Listed them around $9000.00. Most of the guys buying these now a days don't have much of anything $$$ wise to put down and have to finance them and the loan company won't loan much on these things.

The LAST thing you should ever do is hope your car (any car) is an investment. In the end, they are just cars.
I personally have never bought a car thinking it would increase in value. Fortunately, I have yet to lose money on a car (I always by them "right").

I think NO TR (especially GNs) is worth over $10,000 and that's pushing it IMO. It's not like they were limited production...It always amazed me that the GNs always sold for more than other TRs.

Answer to your question: People are wanting to much for their cars...the market reflects this. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Just be glad that NADA list it for the value they do.

I wish I knew where all those 60k miles <10k cars were a year ago! I guess it depends on the area you live, but try finding a low mileage TR for under 10k in Florida! Good Luck!

James

I had a guy flag me down friday while I was in my GN (had to drive it to work cause the T-type is being a bastard). He asked if I wanted to sell it (which I really dont), but he said he has been kinda looking for one ever since he wrecked his 86 years ago. He told me where he works and if I was interested to stop by. He offered 12 for mine.......I just cant see giving it up right now though. I have been offered 13500 before......shoulda taken it then!

Just needed to look in the for sale section

Joe

Originally posted by bishir
I wish I knew where all those 60k miles <10k cars were a year ago! I guess it depends on the area you live, but try finding a low mileage TR for under 10k in Florida! Good Luck!

James

Great. So the GN + a few g's in the bank isn't going to = Typhoon.

So in the near future are they only going to go down more, or is it possible they'll start selling for more once the economy steps up? Just trying to figure out if I should try to get out from under it right now, wait a year or so, or resign to the fact that I'm never gonna get close to what I have into it and drive it till it disintegrates to the ground.

Originally posted by zam70

I think NO TR (especially GNs) is worth over $10,000 and that's pushing it IMO. It's not like they were limited production...It always amazed me that the GNs always sold for more than other TRs.

What is your thinking that no TR is worth over $10,000? Why not? I've got a super nice 87 GN and I wouldn't take a dime less than $18,000 for it, hell it's got a $10,000 paint job ( thanks to a 65 yr old woman, insurance claim, couldn't match original laquer ) but that's beside the point.

And as far as you say they weren't limited production, they were about as limited as it gets. Sure they made more than a few thousand, but the 87 model yr made up the bulk of the production numbers. Are they as rare as a Syclone? No. Or a TTa? No, but in the day of mass production numbers they are considered rare. Other than mine, I never see another TR on the road unless I'm at BG for the Nats. And yes I do live in Ky where you may not see as many, but I drive ( due to my job ) @ 45,000 miles a year in the Central Ky area only and have not seen another TR this year, but I have seen 3 Vipers and 1 Lamborguini (sp?). So, yes, I would consider TR's to be rare and the nice ones to be worth the $$$.

Well I guess it depends where you live....here in Utah I have never seen a GN for sale for more then $8,000....and that was for real nice ones...I bought my 87 T-type for only $2,000..80,000 miles and completly stock...

My friend just sold his GN for $5,000 and that was with a chip, upgraded turbo and exhaust...converted to a GNX clone and brand new paint...

So to be honest... I could never see myself paying more the $8,000 for a Turbo Regal....T-Type or GN...but maybe that is just me.