What problems to look for...

burntblues

Folks,

I'm not really sure where to post this, but I'll try here.

My name is Mike, I'm new on here and hopefully ready to become a new regular member. I found an 85 GN and I've talked the guy down to $7k. The car has a little over 125k miles on it (I know it isn't high for a car of that year, but on average it seems high for a GN). It has a fresh paint job and from the photos it looks very clean. It's apparently a stock 85 hot air car. Only problems that he's posted with it are that the AC needs a recharge and the interior left turn bulb doesn't work. I'm going to look at the car this weekend and am curious what all I should be looking for as far as problem areas are concerned. From what I've seen the door bottoms seem to rust out and from my camaro I know to look at the hinges on these old big doors. It's a hard top so there is no worry over t-top leak.

Thanks all for the help,
Mike

Just check the usual spots for rust; floors, quarters, etc. To be honest, $7k for a Hot-Air with 125k on it (even if the paint, interior, and mechanicals are really nice) is a stretch, they just arent worth much. Just my opinion of course, but I think you'd be much happier with an 86-87 and you can definitely find one in the 7k range that might need a bit more work, but have a lot more resale value and desirability. Either way, good luck.

Yes....The only problem with a 85 GN....is it is a 85 GN.......Do it right from the start 86-87 only, unless its had a transplant : )

Burnt, where are you located? I have an 85 that has been converted to 87 guts. A lot of stuff done to it, and more coming soon as I will be selling it within the next few months. Rebuilt motor, trans, front suspension, all bushings, Recaros seats, Pypes stainless exhaust, Alradco radiator and HID lights, Front mount IC, Alky progressive meth injection, ported heads and intake, etc, etc, etc. Will probably have GNX style wheels and brand new tires soon too...

As much as it pains me to say, depending on your goals, the 86/87's do seem to "be worth more" in the long run. More parts availability, etc. However, vendors are starting to come up with parts (gbodyparts does a ported hot air intake, Razors does alky injection, there are turbo upgrades, headers (IIRC), etc.) so depending on how fast, how much you want to spend, etc you should evaluate your decision. If you buy it, dump a bunch of money into it, then try to sell it, you won't get as much out of it (modded or not) as you would a 86/7. I love my 85, and if there had been more parts out, or if I would have been more patient, there are ways to get into 11's without getting a second mortgage. But, I seem to skip steps a lot... :)