What kind of oil to run

Sorry to say but i wont be needing oil in my car any time soon now , i hate to say it but i hate this car i paid 4,000 for the car last year and put about 2,00 to 3,000 in the car just bought a cam lifters and timing chain because mine were all bad and i find bigger problems .

Synthetic Oil

I'm an AP Physics Teacher and after a few lab experiments
synthetic is the way to go. It was actually developed by the
Germans during WWII because we bombed the Roumanian
oil fields and they were short of oil.

Experiment #1 Took a steel ramp and coated it with various
oils with the same viscosity. Slid a 1kg mass down the ramp
with each oil and the Mobil 1 BLEW AWAY the rest. (mass
slid about 30% faster. Less friction!

Experiment #2 Heated same oils and it is amazing what happens.
Regular oils turned to molasses at 450 degrees+ while the synthetics were just fine.

The molecules of the synthetic oil look like little hot dogs, while the conventional oil molecules look like eggs.

Therefore, I use synthetic in all my vehicles, with a filter change at
5,000 miles and an oil change at 10,000 miles. BTW, when the
synthetics first came out they were recommended changes at
25,000 miles!!

Thanks for that bit of info. I run 10w30 mobil 1 synthetic in mine, my oil pressure is the same as with non-synthetic oil. I've heard great things about mobil1 synthetic. Anyway, the number of people hating synthetics here seems surprising...

apgnos, do you know of any good websites that would have more such scientific info about oils? I'm interested in the theory behind oil, how it works, what's the difference between synth and non, etc. If you've come across any websites with such, let me know :)

Dave

Christ...talk about a confusing thread.....

Now I don't know what to do... I'm kinda an old fashioned type guy here so my thought is pretty simple. Stick to regular old oil - 10W30. That's what's recommended, then that's what she gets. I had an 87 5.0 LX all done and I started to use synthetic....didn't notice much except the price of my oil changes went up.

So for my new motor - i'm gonna stick with the basic old oil. Not to mention, my car is a summer only daily driver type car - no track action (ok...well maybe once or twice next year).

(since my wife won't ever argue with me...heh heh)

apgnos!

First of all, I'm a total dummy with psysics, just to get that outta the way!
;)

In experiment #1: Were the oils room temperature? At 72°, 10w-30 regular oil is MUCH thicker than 10w-30 synthetic. Suppose you get some old pushrods and use them as "needle bearings", and ROLL your 1kg mass on them, down the same ramp, DRY. Now, liberally coat everything with synthetic oil, and repeat the test. I'd be willing to bet a buck that the oil will slow down the rolling mass, simply because the oil is in the way! With this in mind, I'd be interested to see what would happen with your original experiment if all the oils were heated to 190°, and the test repeated!

In experiment #2: Synthetic definitely wins this test, I'm sure! However, if the oil in your engine ever sees 450°, I don't think it will really matter WHAT oil is in it!!
;)