What kind of ET's can I expect??

turbonut85

Rarely used member
Just wondering what kind of 1/4 times I should see with my set up.So, here goes...
85 T-Top GN
Stock Hot air block bored .30 over
speed-pro forged pistons
8445 mild ported heads
212-212 comp roller cam/chrome-moly pushrods
roller lifters
new stock turbo
stock headers/up-pipe/down-pipe
2-1/2" stainless dual cat-back exhaust
hi-flow stainless cat
walbro pump--hotwired
42.5 lb inj
TurboTweak chip-set up for 92 oct/street
87 ECM/MAF
adj regulator
stock 3.42 posi
all frame/body bracing from kirbans
Welded frame seams to stiffenAdded extra bracing in the A pillar area
BTW everything is new never been started!!
Anyone got any run-o-the-mill estimates??
BTW dont even think about trying to convince ne to I/C... NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!!:D :D :D

Ok, so I will be the first to take a stab at it. :tongue:

I am going to say mid 14s with stock boost levels on 92 octane gas with a 60' time around 2.1 on your street tires.

Then lets say you throw some 110 race gas in there and turn up the boost around 18-20#....high 13's with the same 60' times on street tires.

Your "new stock turbo" and "stock header, up-pipe, and downpipe" are going to hurt you. I assume you have a stock torque convertor yet? Do you plan on upgrading the turbo in the future that you bought 42.5lb injectors? You have an adustable wastegate and cone filter?

I have put a 2300-2500 stall conv in a new 2004r. I would like to upgrade the turbo at some point, but I have never driven a TR:eek: , so I want to start from the beginning, if you will. I want to be able to feel the difference.:biggrin: Besides I already had the stocker, and it was alot cheaper to rebuild it than to replace it.:D working on the adj wastegate...kinda challenging to find one for a H/A. Plan very shortly to get the cold air kit from TR Custom Parts

I agree with 1Quick85.

If you have the ability to fully maximize your stockish combo with an adjustable wastegate and a race chip, you will definately see 13s.

As it sits with stock boost levels maybe mid 14s.

My dad went 14.0@100mph with a chip, 20lbs boost, and K&N.

With ported heads and a cam, you're going to see huge gains when you open up the headers/downpipe or upgrade turbos.

24-2500 stall is stock for these cars. What convertor did you get?

I agree with 1Quick85.

If you have the ability to fully maximize your stockish combo with an adjustable wastegate and a race chip, you will definately see 13s.

With ported heads and a cam, you're going to see huge gains when you open up the headers/downpipe or upgrade turbos.

24-2500 stall is stock for these cars. What convertor did you get?

The trans shop I used said they upgraded the conv one step...whatever that means. I think they just put a heavy-duty conv with the stock stall. I'm not sure. When you say "race chip" what exactly do you mean? I had Eric at Turbo Tweak burn a chip at 92 oct...can I run a higher oct with the same chip? How much gain might I see if I upgrade the turbo to say a TA33? Thanks for all your help and input, guys...I'm kinda new to the turbo thing.:redface:

A race chip will be able to take advantage of more octane by increasing timing. There are usually other changes but timing is the big one. I picked up 3mph with no other changes going from a street chip to race chip.

You can run as much octane as you want. It will never hurt you but it won't help unless you can either turn up the boost or install the race chip.

Take a extra 02 sensor with you if you run straight race gas. It usually takes awhile, but eventually the race gas will kill your 02 sensor.
I would say a race gas chip would be last on your list of stuff you need though. Work on the wastegate and find a downpipe!