WARNING - CarFax inaccurate on older thefts!!

Jeff

'87 GN (for sale)
I bought an '87 GN recently which turned out to have been reVINed as an '85. When I ran both VINs on CarFax both came back clean. It turns out that the '85 was wrecked in '92, and the '87 was stolen in '95. None of this turned up on CarFax, which gave both cars a clean history.
The Texas Department of Public Safety just took the car from me. The officer explained that the theft records are purged after 5 years, so if a car was stolen more than 5 years ago it's out of the system.
So when you do your CarFax checks you may not be getting the whole story...don't get burned like I did...
Jeff

They took the car? You get nothing for your money? Any chance of suing the seller or something?

he's a "friend of a friend", so I'm giving him a little time to make good on this...
BUT, the cop told me I could sue. I'll have all the paperwork to prove the car was stolen, it shouldn't be too tough to win, the only thing is I don't think he knew it was stolen, so I don't know if I can win on that basis.
Anyone know?
Jeff

Carfax

It's what they don't show that you have to be worried about.

As an example, My mom's car recieved major damage $8,000.00+ {T-BONED}from an accident and the car was repaired. Turns out it has never showed up on a Carfax report.:eek:

Jeff

doesnt carfax insure there findings???? or is that just odometer rollbacks?? what a jip......

there probably just going to resell teh car at an auction anyway, WTF i would have kept it. they cant give it back to the original owner cause its made up of 2 cars.. i really wonder what there going to do with it.

Mike

WOW...I went to the hearing yesterday and at the last minute the insurance company abandoned their interest in the car...the court awarded the car to me!!
SO, I am once again a GN owner, but this time it's legit. I have the paperwork to get the original VIN reassigned to the car, and the title will be in my name. For the first time in 7 years this car will be on the up and up.
I am totally stoked...can't wait to get started back on the project...
Jeff