valves

back in black

Any of you guys familiar with s.b.i valves?are they any good?was thinkin i want to go stainless intake and exhaust ,what do you recommend?

i helped my friend build a 383 stroker and he used manley stainless valves. dont know too much about them. def. better than stock valves, flow wise and they will stay cleaner being stainless! other than that i dont know too much more. maybe check out manley's website and read up some. hth!

yea, i have stainless intakes in my car and stock exhaust valves. if u have access to a valve grinding machine u could just reuse ur stockers and backcut the old valves, if there not already. that would increase the flow alittle but not as much as the stainless valves. r u doing any headwork and porting? plans for the engine/performance goals?

No access,personanly.The shop doing the balanceing,torque plateing,boreing does.Just want to allnew parets in her.Was thinkin i would just smooth out the ports in the heads not really remove much material.Comp 212/212 hyd.tappit cam.Is this to much cam?am concidering moly pushrods,replace all rockers [new stock].And of coarse the stainless valves through out.980 or 100 lbs valve springs [comp].Ive never built a turbo buick engine before,just trying to get my ducks in a row,befor i go spending my limited cash.

No access,personanly.The shop doing the balanceing,torque plateing,boreing does.Just want to allnew parets in her.Was thinkin i would just smooth out the ports in the heads not really remove much material.Comp 212/212 hyd.tappit cam.Is this to much cam?am concidering moly pushrods,replace all rockers [new stock].And of coarse the stainless valves through out.980 or 100 lbs valve springs [comp].Ive never built a turbo buick engine before,just trying to get my ducks in a row,befor i go spending my limited cash.

if its a buick, r they machining the crank and installing new bearings? be careful if it is not a turbo buick shop because these cars can be sensitive to clearances. alot of shops will machine the engines to small block specs, not buick and then u take the risk of spinning a bearing of doing damage!

the heads smoothing out will help alittle, if ur gonna try to get some flow out of the heads focus on area around the valve guide, its gotta some good meat on it, and the bowl area right behind the head of the valve and valve seat. that is where most of the gains on that head will come from. and u can polish or smooth the comb. chambers while ur there too!
check out this site: Buick V6 Cylinder Head Guide

as for the cam it depends on ur goals for the car. alot of people use that cam i believe and like it. good for a budget. alot of other people would recommend getting a hyd. roller and never look back. if u go with hyd. tappet cam use a good diesel oil to break it in and make sure the oil u use has all the good additives in it of the flat tappet will wipe out! hth!

s.b.i. is a brand name
Im building a turbo buick engine.
Im buying a crank kit from an engine supply co.I made sure they understood it was a g.n. engine.But i will be plasti gauging everything before i buuton her up takeing no chances.sounds like most guys are useing 0.0017-0.0023 for clearance,thats my plan.That sound good to you for crank& rod clearance?whats youre opion on moly push rods is this needed?Roller would be nice,but will blow up my budget.I think im goin to use the 6131e ball bearing turbo.Need to figure out what converter to put in there yet.thanx for the direction on the head porting.

Any of you guys familiar with s.b.i valves?are they any good?was thinkin i want to go stainless intake and exhaust ,what do you recommend?

s.b.i. valves are made be Eaton(same people that make rearend parts), they are a great bang for the buck, and are excellent quality, they are however designed like stock replacement, (no necked down stems, backcuts, tulips, etc.), we have put them in several budget oriented engines with excellent results. however from time to time i have found that certain valves for certain engines of this brand can end up costing as much or more than a performance oriented valve(in fact last week i bought a set for a 351 cleveland they ended up costing more than a set of Ferrea's would have even at my cost!, so i got the Ferrea's instead, in the case of your buick i would likely go with a good aftermarket valve(Ferrea, manley, etc.) Never skimp on valvetrain, that $100 dollars you save can end up wiping out a whole engine, especially on a turbo motor which are extra hard on exhaust valves, i think you will be happier in the end going this direction, just my $.02

s.b.i. is a brand name
Im building a turbo buick engine.
Im buying a crank kit from an engine supply co.I made sure they understood it was a g.n. engine.But i will be plasti gauging everything before i buuton her up takeing no chances.sounds like most guys are useing 0.0017-0.0023 for clearance,thats my plan.That sound good to you for crank& rod clearance?whats youre opion on moly push rods is this needed?Roller would be nice,but will blow up my budget.I think im goin to use the 6131e ball bearing turbo.Need to figure out what converter to put in there yet.thanx for the direction on the head porting.

cool, sounds like a pretty nice build! the clearance, everybody differs in opinions, but generally i think that .0015 to no more than .0023(that is alittle high) probably best off or safer around .0020! if ur not sure just call a place like weber racing, cotton's, anderson perf. etc. and they will tell u.

i would go moly pushrods since ur upgrading the cam and alittle more spring pressure. with that cam ur powerband will be alittle higher, so the added assurance of the stronger pushrods would be nice to have. like noted before, dont skimp on parts, do it once and do it right as most would say:smile:

i know alittle about turbos. i have a 6152e and like it but my converter is not matched. the 6131e bb will probably spool decent with a stock converter.

what r ur goals for the car? street strip, hp, 1/4 times? that would be the determining factor for matching the turbo to converter! my best advice there is to call a turbo buick shop and tell them what u got and ask opinions on best setup for ur application!