Used to own an 87 GN

TulsaGN13

First of all, Hi. My name is Billy and I have been lurking around the forum for a few months now;) I couldn't really figure out the best place to post this, so I decided to throw it in the category that said friends and family.

Back in 1996 I was a stupid high school kid working at a Buick dealership in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I was an engine performance tech, in training, attending school at OSU- Olkmulgee at the time. A man I worked with, his name was Roger, sold me a 1987 GN with 165,000 on it for $6500. I was young and stupid and decided to work on a perfectly good engine:) I changed the timing chain on it and let coolant get into the oil. Long story shorterish, it spun a bearing and started with the knocking.

I ended up spending several months and all of my paychecks rebuilding the motor. Again, I was a 17 year old kid so I was full of stupid:) There was a guy I met in Tulsa that offered me a ton of help and guidance. I believe his name was Scott, but again this was almost 15 years ago so I can't be for certain. He got me on the road and I proceeded to my next great adventure ( read "stupid move" ). Eventually I ended up in Iowa, working for Northern Border Pipeline company. We were laying 36inch natural gas pipe and moved around a lot. The GN was suffering from a few problems and I had to sell it for something more reliable.

I know it is a lot but please bare with me:) After that I move back to Oklahoma for a few months, joined the Army as a Combat Photographer and I have been all over the place since then.

I am currently stationed in Germany and due back stateside in 2011. I have been saving money for a new GN for about a year and plan to buy one when I get back to the states. I just wanted to say hi and see if anyone I knew back in the day was still around. Hopefully I can get back into the fun in about a year. I enjoy reading the posts here. Some of the names have changed but I am so happy to see the caliber of folks posting here is still high.

Well, thanks for reading:)

If this belongs somewhere else, please forgive me, I am the new guy :)

Wow, thats one of the best " Im new here introductions"...Is it possible for you to post pictures of the Combat Photography? Anyway,Welcome :)

Add a little bit more to a good story and see if you can track down that same car. Perhaps it's alive and well just waiting for your return.

Yeah +1 on the intro. I'd also love to see some of your work as I love photography as well.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I wish I could remember who I sold the car to. I sold it in Marshalltown, Iowa. I believe it was late 1999. It had a dent in the passenger side quarter-panel near the headlight, from where a guy backed into me, some issues with the power brakes and needed a new MAF. If I remember anything thing else useful, I will post it.

I am attaching a couple of pics. The first is me with the GN, around 1998, taken at a truck stop between Tulsa and OKC. Then there is one with me and the flying bus in 2006. It is a soviet made MI-8 "Hip", may be short for hippopotamus:smile: This was taken in Bulgaria, shortly before an argument broke out between Bulgarian, Romanian and American pilots about whether or not this particular airframe can be barrel rolled....but that's a story for a different time:eek:

When I get a chance I will put up some more photos.

Billy

Attachments

• My GrandNat'l.jpg
    My GrandNat'l.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 179
  • meandMI-8.jpg
    meandMI-8.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 187