Upgrade from TE-63E

J-Rod

Howdy,

Its been quite some time since I posted, after 10 years of driving, the last combo was worn out and needed a refresh. The car has been apart for 2 years, and I should have the motor ready in the next week or so. My question in htis section was to discuss my current turbo and the best course of action with it.

I know I can go mid 10's on the TE63E, but I suspect the car will easily handle much more turbo. I can put a slightly bigger wheel in the existing turbo, but I think that is rather cost prohibitive for the rather modest gains. I also beleive I could upgrade the exhaust housing to a Precision .63 housing. Again, not sure it is worth it.

The car is a street car. Just looking for input/recommendations in just casual reading it looks like the 6466 or 6766 would be about where the car should be. But I would rather ask than assume.

I'm tired of the thumbwheel and at a minimum will be doing a new chip or replacing the computer with MegaSquirt. Would love XFI but just too much at this point.

Just had injectors cleaned an flow tested they are all spot on. But again, may need to upgrade them as well.

Previous combo was:

3.8L .020 over
JE Pistons
Valley polished and crankcase glyptol'd
Polished and shootpeened stock rods with ARP fastners
Billet Main Caps
Loveridge Girdle
BGC Intake Upper and Lower
Ported GN1s
Scorpion Rockers
Accufab 70MM TB
ATR RP309G Hyd Roller Cam
ATR Double Pumper
72# Injectors
16 POS thumbwheel chip
ATR Headers
THDP
CAS V2 Intercooler
CAS Radiator
Precision Turbo TE63E with ported "fast spool" housing
Precision Vigilante multi-disc lockup converter with an o-pump (would only stall about 2500 for some reason)
Stage II 200R4

New Combo is:

3.8L .030 over
3.625 Stroker Crank
H-Beam rods
JE Pistons
Valley polished and crankcase glyptol'd
Billet Main Caps
Loveridge Girdle
BGC Intake Upper and Lower
Ported GN1s
Scorpion Rockers
Accufab 70MM TB
Comp 218/212 Hyd Roller
ATR Double Pumper
72# Injectors (may be changing)
16 POS thumbwheel (planning to change)
ATR Headers
THDP
CAS V2 Intercooler
CAS Radiator
Precision Turbo TE63E with ported "fast spool" housing
Precision Vigilante multi-disc lockup converter with an #6 pump ~3500 RPM stall
Stage II 200R4

Last edited:
I would do a pte6466, t-netics 6468hpc wheel,or a te45A if your keeping that converter, and add a 6766 jb + all i mentioned if you went to a 17blade ptc9.5 nl...
Id be beyond a chip car with that comb.

I have pretty much the same build as your new build. I run a 6765 DBB and love it. Instant boost on a 0 pump multi disc vigilante and pulls hard. I have not been to the track yet. But the 6765 went mid 10s on my original factory short-block/stock cam and ported stock heads at 24lbs.

You would have about 600 in a turbo upgrade going from a 63 to a 66 wheel ( I think that is the max that would go in that housing) and about 150 - 200 going to a .63 exhaust housing ( you can find that used where someone upgraded to .85). Not quite worth the effort to run 3 to 4 tenths faster into the 10.30 range. I had Reed rebuild my TE63 back in the day way before the billet/dbb/gtq/hpq craze. It's still hard for me to conceive that a 67 can go in the 8's.

I went 9.86@137 with a te63e on 29psi. It is a great turbo. This was on a stock short block. I switched the short block out for a forged unit, and still used the same heads amd cam and replaced the 63 with a 6766 with a .85 housing. On 24psi, it went 132mph on its only run. The 67 even with the .85 housing spools faster than the te63.
You will need a better converter if looking to push deep into the 10s.

I had a typo, my converter had a 0 pump, and was upgraded to a #6 pump. I'll find out where it stalls once the car is back together, and make a decision then on what to do with the converter. I appreciate everyone's input.

I am running a 0 pump on mine. 1lb of boost at 2400 rpms on my factory short-block with ported heads. 6765 DBB

I will help you offset your costs of buying a new turbo by buying your TE63E.

PM me if that's something you will consider.

Last edited: