Up pipe sealing

B

Buick84gn

Hi folks, I have a question about getting the up pipe to seal. I recently changed the turbo, and I didn't have time to mess with it, but the up pipe is leaking at the header. (Stock headers and up pipe, BTW.) There is an audible leak, and my O2 are up around 955 under boost. The inboard bolt for the up pipe where it meets the header is a real pain to get at. Is there a secret to getting it to seal right? I've never had a problem with an ball and socket type exhaust joint. Thanks in advance!

Ken

84 Buick Grand National

Try removing the up-pipe cleaning the joints with a wire brush and then put a bead of red high temp silicone on the joint. Torque the bolts and let set overnight. That should take care of it for ya.

Jeremy

I hated the connection for the longest time..then I decited to change it. I tapped the Header, and put studs in it.That made it very very easy to unbolt...all you need to remove is two nuts..and the 3 nuts at the turbo and its off!

As for making a good seal...I Have a gasket that I use.. It is a crush gasket...basicly you permatex it onto the inside of the inlet pipe flange, and as you tighten it up it gets compressed and seals up all of the inperfections creating a GREAT seal....I run 19psi and I have had one gasket on my car for 5 months so far no leaks..

If you want a gasket I will be willing to send one out $9+ we split shipping.