Turbo Trans Am vs Camaro Z28SS

auto_cran

After having my Turbo Trans Am for a few months now, I have been wanting to see how she stacks up to some modern competition - and have been talking to a buddy of mine who has a 2002 Camaro Z28SS (red 35th Anniversry). We had talked for awhile about taking the cars out for a race, but never got to it - until this morning.

The road we choose was 1/4 mile straight -away (it deadends - so no traffic issues). We marked our starting & finishing points, then lined up. Actually racing distance was more like 1/8 mile, I would estimate. Since it was just the 2 of us - we decieded to start on his count of 3.

At count 2, I got my revs up 2500 RPMs, and at 3 mashed the pedal - I was off to a great start!! The TTA was pulling strong, and heading to the finish line. As we passed the finish, he was gaining on me - for his nose was at my door, but I got the win! :)

We stopped to discuss - he simply couldn't believe how fast the TTA was! He was impressed to say the least. His traction conrol was on - which hindered his launch and he wanted to try again, this time without the traction control. Fair is fair, we decided to go at it again.

Run 2 had his traction control off, and me doing the count. I don't think I got my revs up to 2500 this time - more like 2000 - which threw off my start. He got a good launch this time. The Camaro got me off the start, but once the TTAs big turbo kicked in, I was right on him running neck and neck! As we approached the finish - his cubic inches were taking over - and he was pulling from me. Nonetheless, we were both impressed with the Turbo Trans Am.

His Camaro Z28SS is totally stock - 5.7liter V8 LS1 with a 6-speed and every SLP option - including Hurst shifter & optional center-mount exhaust. Chevrolet rated its horsepower at 345. He has right at 13,000 miles on it.

My TTA is #760 - bone stock except for a K&N airfilter. Running on 1/2 pump gas (93 octane) and 1/2 100 octane. I got 1,563 miles on her.

It was pretty hot & humid - around 93 degrees. I would imagine I would have done even better if it was cooler out!

Anyway, we were both curious on how a stock Turbo Trans Am could do against a new, more powerful, and much more modern car, and the TTA held its own good.

Funny how NO ONE knows about these cars and just how fast they are! Oh well, let them learn the hard way!

Chris
-------------
1989 Turbo Trans Am #760 (1563 miles)
1983 Delorean DMC-12
1985 Kawasaki Eliminator ZL900

Very interesting story :cool:

You buddy must a pretty good 6-speed driver.I would have figured with your low end torque and auto that you would have jumped a bit farther off the line.

Geoff

Not bad for a car that "probably" has gummed up injectors and sub-standard valve spring pressure. If so, some sping cleaning could help.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/maintenance/maintpage.html

Do a couple FREE mods and take him back out. :D Disconnect the exhaust at the sleeve coupling just before the flex pipe, instant dump pipe. Put the paperclip in the ALDL, to lock the convertor.

Hey Chris, I thought I told you they would whip up on the LS1 f-bodies pretty good :D I had a guy in a red LS1 Camaro messing with me going down the highway one day...I followed him off the exit ramp and told him to take his crap to the next red light after I got beside him in traffic and so he did and whipped him by about 2 car links off the start and he didn't have a chance after that. He was a young guy with 2 chicks in the car with him, bet they told him he got his azz kicked :D I've also raced a 30th Anniv at the 1/8 mi track and beat him by about 1/2 a car link. Best stock LS1 time I've mustered with my 30th and a friend that has a 99 TA completely stock is a 9.0x in the 1/8. My TTA runs a consistant 9.0x also so it all comes down to driver skill as the cars are very even. An LS1 is definitely not faster in the 1/8. Never had the 30th to the 1/4 track to compare but my TTA ran a consistant mid 13 in the 1/4.

You gotta remember, if the weather was cooler he would've done better also. ;)
My Z28 is an auto with 2.73 gears, rated at 310 hp, and went 13.52 @ 105 bone stock, a 3.42-geared 6-speed SS would be faster. Good 1/8 kill. :)

I've gone an 8.6 in the 1/8 and 13.2 @107mph in the 1/4 with my bone stock 02 WS6. It's a 6sp car with the 3.42 gear and I'm only average with the stickshift. Others have gone faster. Not to start a TTA vs LS1 thing but what are the fastest times for a showroom stock TTA? I always thought they were a mid 13 sec car with factory rubber and boost.

Hey Hammer, the LS1 cars definitely have more hp than the stock TTA, but 9 times out of 10 the LS1 car burns the tires off at the start. I guess its driver inexperience or the addrenlin rush gets the best of them :D I know my LS1 TA lights the tires up very very easily and its an A4. I've raced 4 LS1 cars, 2 at the track and 2 on the street and whipped them all pretty good on the first few 100 feet.