Turbo Thunder V

DEL

Hello,

We have dates!

Friday July 30th test-n-tune/qualifying
Saturdat July 31st eliminations

Here's some things I'm still working on, please feel free to reply here or e-mail me your suggestions/thoughts/opinions.

Eats for Friday night. There is a Pizza place right there in Woodburn that stays open until at least midnight so we would not be rushed.

Eats for Saturday night. We were thinking of doing a BBQ at the track. We are going to look into catering costs and may roll this into the entry fee.

Quick 8 or Quick 16 heads up class? This would be a third class for folks to enter. We will still have the 11.99-quicker and 12.00-slower bracket classes.

Sponsorship. It looks like we might have a T-shirt connection (HYBRIDT) and I was thinking of offering sponsors (Buick parts vendors) to pay $100 to get their logo on the shirt. All proceeds would go toward payouts.

Host hotel. Do we want to stay with the Holiday Inn, or try something thats better or closer to the track?

Also FYI there is going to be a first annual BOP event at Woodburn this year. The dates are September 3rd & 4th. The track offered to give us our own lane for turbo cars if we wanted. Not sure I'm read to bite off coordinating this one as I plan to race my Skylark.

I'd like to see a closer host hotel. Although the Holiday Inn allows pets and my wife was pretty happy about being able to bring the dog this year. Beer 'n pizza Friday night sounds good :D Burgers 'n beer on Saturday sounds good too :D

What would the quick 8 or 16 class entail? I am guessing most of us normal guys will have trouble keeping up with guys like Gene Fleury, Dennis Hogan and Ryan Guy et al.

Clayton,

The quick 8 or quick 16 will be a heads up deal. This appeals to a lot of people (including me) who aren't really into bracket racing/breakouts and like running heads up.

This was suggested last year, and I liked the idea. It will be a separate class, we will still have the two bracket classes.

There are other factors that can equalize this class. The fast guys tend to have more mechanical problems, traction problems, etc. And there's always the "tree-factor" I don't want to stereotype anybody, but all the Canadians that I've ever raced have tree'd my ass bad! :eek: It's not unheard of to make up 1/2 second or more at the line, especially with a turbo car. Its our hope that this class might lure some of the faster cars to the event which is good for everyone. The fact that it doesn't replace either of the bracket classes makes it painless either way.

Thanks for the comments/feedback...keep it coming!

I like the idea of a closer hotel. Although we're considering bring an RV this year and hangin out at the track like Geno.

Definitely need a better Friday night eatery. I like your local pizza place suggestion especially for the later hours.

Sat BBQ at the track would be ideal after all the racing and awards have wrapped-up. Fun way to have everyone hang out together rather than splitting up like previous years.

Really like the idea of a heads-up class. I would enjoy watching the quick guys gettin it on. Would definitely be a good draw for other West coaster folks and make interesting news to share with the rest of the Turbo Buick communities.

I have no heartburn with not having a car show although maybe someone else would be willing to facilitate it so you wouldn't be burdened with that task as well as all the racing.

How about having an official swap meet on Friday night before heading out to dinner? Last there were some good parts available and sold but a lot of folks missed out. A more centralized parts gathering would help.

More importanltly than all the details...a big thanks to you and your wife for hosting this great event again this year. I really appreciate the hard work you put into it and my wife and I look forward to it all year long!

Originally posted by DEL
Clayton,

The quick 8 or quick 16 will be a heads up deal. This appeals to a lot of people (including me) who aren't really into bracket racing/breakouts and like running heads up.

This was suggested last year, and I liked the idea. It will be a separate class, we will still have the two bracket classes.

There are other factors that can equalize this class. The fast guys tend to have more mechanical problems, traction problems, etc. And there's always the "tree-factor" I don't want to stereotype anybody, but all the Canadians that I've ever raced have tree'd my ass bad! :eek: It's not unheard of to make up 1/2 second or more at the line, especially with a turbo car. Its our hope that this class might lure some of the faster cars to the event which is good for everyone. The fact that it doesn't replace either of the bracket classes makes it painless either way.

Thanks for the comments/feedback...keep it coming!

Sounds cool Dave. I'm going to check out the calendar and see how things look. I hope to be able to make it again, and hope that my tranny will stay alive as well. Can you put in your order now for 75*, maybe slightly overcast weather? 90* + is too damn hot! :)

Sweet!!

I will be there ... With my ride LOL. This is going to be a blast.. That should give me enought time to tie a few ends up if I have any..

:D

Chris

Here's a paste from the Woodburn schedule. The dates are set.

July 30 Fri
Street Legal Drags • Gates open 3pm

July 31 Sat
Chevy Showdown Drags
Turbo Thunder V
Gates open 9 am

Dave,
Can we park an RV on Friday earlier than when the gates open at 3pm ?

Are there RV power & water hookups on premise ?

Can I call to reserve an RV spot or is it simply first come first served?

Geno,
I know you RV'd there previous years. Any advice ?

Dan,

Geno can tell you what he worked out last year, but I would plan on not having an RV power hook up. There's definitely no water/sewer/cable :)

I will check with the track and see when they'll let us in to set up. I'm sure we can work something out for those with RV's. I'll try to get small window of time (probably around noon) for those that want to get in early and set up. Folks could then just drive their Buicks out to the gate and roll in with the rest of them when the gates open. I may decide to motorhome it this year too.