Truck intake performance...

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
We just completed the dyno tuning at Vengeance Tuning, in Cumming, Ga.
Car: 33 Ford roadster.
Engine: 07 6.2, L92 out of an Escalade.
Trans: 4L70E, trailblazer converter.
Rear: 3.50/9".
Mike @ Vengeance did the tune on the E38PCM/TCM.
We made 2 dyno pulls, starting @ 3000, shutting down @ 6000.
Engine has a variable cam timing limiter, Comp cam 224/228@.050, in at 114*, 39# injs, mid length headers, stock heads, stock truck intake. Rest of engine is bone stock, w/ 46K on the clock.

The numbers, 400RWHP/399T. [Using the truck intake, that folks say is a "dead player" at 5K+.]
The engine made over 350# from the start of the pull, all the way thru, to shut down.
Torque at 2150 was 200#. By 3200, it was at 350. [Great street "grunt" in a 3000# car!] A tyre fryer for sure!:D

Who knows, a bit more cam, and this intake may have been good to even higher HP/RPM...

Bottom line: Don't dump the truck intake just because it's the ugly sister...;)

does fastmake the l92 xrt intake? or just the cathedreal for ls2's ? I have the fast ls2 truck intake ... had to dent the firewall in the tbss to make it fit

Sorry for the mix up, could you refresh me on the L92 Chuck? What years and vehicles?

L92 heads are awesome. I am in the process of setting up a 6.0 with L92 heads and a nice cam in a Silverado sport truck. It might get more though, I want to go big with it.

L92 heads are awesome. I am in the process of setting up a 6.0 with L92 heads and a nice cam in a Silverado sport truck. It might get more though, I want to go big with it.

Sounds like a fun project. We were discussing this same transplant into the 03 Silvi we were towing w/ during the dyno trip.
The 5.3, even w/ the 3.70 gear, doesn't have the steam to pull the 26' enclosed. A stock L92 should put it where it should be. [07 Escalade L92 = 405FW OEM rating, vs the 290FW there now.]

The 5.3 really lacks the low end grunt. Some of it is torque management. When I was looking at new trucks I told the salesman I either want a 1500 with a 6.2 or a 2500 with a Duramax. He asked what I towed. He told me all I need is a 6 cylinder. He wanted me to buy a 5.3 truck which they had tons of, they had no 6.2's on the lot, and the Duramax was too much. He moved on the price to make it happen though.

There's a fella in Cali with a 6.0 in a 3300lb street driven 72 Nova. He has already went 8.39@164 ish on the limiter at 1100 ft with a stock bottom end, cam, ported 317s and a S476. He's doing that with a stock truck intake and TB on E85. I have basically the same combo going together with better rods and pistons for my GN. It's gonna be fun.. Got my truck intake complete with TB, fuel rails and injectors for $20 on eBay!

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590407