Transitional knock

V6POWER

I have any Extender chip with 23* timing in lower gears and 21* in third. I am getting transitional knock (up to 18*) when the trans kicks down or from a slow roll. I do not get knock when into third gear. Would going to 21*/21* help alleviate this? I am using 93+denatured with 22# boost. Alcohol comes on at 10# and pump is at max.

Can you hear any pinging? You have anything banging like your exhaust causing false knock spikes?

Your setup is pretty close to mine except I use pathetic 91 octane and a 93 octane chip with 24 psi boost. 19/17 timing. Mine kicks up to 22 degrees timing above 4,000 rpm and LV8 255. That helped cure the problem you are having.

Chad--I do not hear any pinging, but my hearing is not that good either. :) At first I suspected the knock was from wheel hop or some other noise but when I turn the boost to 17# the knock goes away. This problem just started when I moved from FL to NC. In FL, I did not have any knock in any gear at the same boost (22-24#).
Will you be at Toots next Thursday?

Unfortunately no. I'm skipping Bowling Green this year and plan on going next year again.

Jim,

Funny thing, I just drove my car up to Delaware and I'm getting the transitional knock thing too. I think with the cooler temps, the fueling is lean. Just have to retune everything for the different climate.

Mike

I just went out and hit the alcohol test button; the spray light came on but the engine did not bog. I jumpered the alcohol pump and it did not run and I reverse jumpered it and it did not run. Guess the pump is bad. Anything else I need to test? Thanks.

LookQuick, you might check the connection at the tank to make sure its clean and if that doesn't do anything open the tank and see if you can ge to the pump connector and try to move it to make sure its solid. Mine stopped and the pump connector must have some corrosion or something as thats why mine stopped, I'm going for the upgrade as mines 2.5 yrs. old.

Possibly some fuel might be added to the delta tps(pump shot) to help transitional knock but the fuel will also be there w/o the alky so can't add too much.

Mark,

I have the newer tank with the solid connection to the pump so I don't think that is a problem. I did check the two connections on the top of the tank for the pump though and they look clean. Thanks.