trans am rear disc?

TRFanatic

Hello all,

I read somewhere that the older trans am rear disc would straight swap onto our cars. Has anyone done this?? Any other type of donor vehicles for our cars rear brakes??

Thanks for your time,

Ravi

The late 70's Firebird rear disc brakes will NOT bolt up to our rear end housing. The Firebird has 4 bolts, the GN has 3 bolts. I tried it and it is not even close. Sure, if you are a machinist and an engineer, you can probably make them fit but is it worth it?

I bought the Baer rear disc brakes from Jack Cotton (Cotton Performance 413-789-0531) and are very happy with them. They fit rear good.

Conrad Carter

nobody HERE said anything about the late-70's F-body brakes. If you follow the link I posted you will see what I was referring to, and what years to look for.

Ryan

"These are the fourth generation 1998-2002 (LS1) Camaro and Firebird rear disc brakes I bought to install on my third generation 1991 Pontiac Firebird (which had rear drum brakes). They are large disc brakes and the emergency brake works like a drum. "

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The FAQ is pretty interesting BUT its a 91 Firebird upgrade not a G-body Upgrade.

Did our cars have the same rear configuration?

The axle flange on the 3rd Gen F-body is the SAME axle flange on our cars.

Just GO TO THE LINK.......

Ryan

Ryan,

Did you do this upgrade on a GN?

I'm going to attempt this in the next few weeks.

Thanks!
myles

I don't own a GN, I have a Cutlass, while it's true I had less power but more class in stock form, mines not stock! ;) :D

I am in the midst of doing this to my `80 Cutlass Calais. I just completed the 1LE front brake swap, now I'm working on the rears.

Ryan