Torque converter

turboman38

It costs money to go fast
I'm new to list but have owned a turbo regal for about 10 years. I recently had my motor redone and would like to know what torque converter to use. Here is my combo:
TE60 - .63 housing
50 lb MSD injectors
206/206 Cam
TH downpipe
3.73 rearend
stock intercooler and heads but would like to upgrade in the next 2 years

This will be mostly street car but I would like to get into the 11s as far as possible; Maybe 10s when the heads and intercooler are done.

I know you get what you pay for but since it's not going to be raced that much I don't want to spend a ton of money on a top of the line converter. Here is what I have found so far:

Modified stock converter - $200 - Will this work? (2800 stall)
Orange Stripe from GSCA - $319 - (3000 - 3500 stall)
TCI from Summit Racing - $309 - (3000 - 3500 stall)

I been told to go with an Art Carr but it's $700

Any help is greatly apprecitated

Thanks
Jim

Hey!

I see that you finally found your way onto the board! :D

Come on guys! Doesn't anyone have any info for Jim??

With the small cam I would go with one of Bruces 911 converters.

Lonnie Diers

Actualy I asked a question a few months ago that led to answering your question. The consensus was that a 2800 stall (which is what I have ) will cause lag with the TE-60. They suggested at least a 3200 stall. I don't know how to do a link to the topic so you'll have to do a search with my user name in the general tech section and use turbo as the key word to narrow down the list a little. The name of the topic is TE-44 or TE-60.

Thanks for the input guys. Mark thanks for getting the archive post for me. Sounds like my problem is the torque converter. I can rule out the modified stock 12 inch with the 2800 stall. Anybody know who sells a 3000 to 3500 stall converter for a reasonable price? Summit has the TCI but has anybody ever tried one of these? The GSCA has the orange strip but again has anybody used it? I have some extra money at this time so I'd like to make a decsion.

Thanks again
Jim

Originally posted by turboman38
Thanks for the input guys. Mark thanks for getting the archive post for me. Sounds like my problem is the torque converter. I can rule out the modified stock 12 inch with the 2800 stall. Anybody know who sells a 3000 to 3500 stall converter for a reasonable price? Summit has the TCI but has anybody ever tried one of these? The GSCA has the orange strip but again has anybody used it? I have some extra money at this time so I'd like to make a decsion.

Thanks again
Jim

WWW.PTSNCTB.COM click converters

Bruce
WE4

Sorry bout that. Site was down for maintenence. Was down on Aug 2. Back up and fine now.
Thanks again
Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

convertors

i just bought a 9 inch from precision industries, you can get any stall from 2800 to 4000 rpm, it is a multi-disc (5) or (3). when the convertor locks up, it feels like your shifting into another gear, The throttle response is incredibe compared to a twelve inch converter. If you have any turbo lag now, it will be gone with this converter. My tranny friend has a GN with it in now. He is running a te-60, with ported and polished heads and a good cam. I've road in the car and it spools up instantly. He has made several 10 second passes so far! The other great thing is that the 9 inch multiplies your torque a lot more than a 12 inch. The only down fall is the price. But the convertor has a lifetime gaurantee, no ?'s asked. They don't care how much power you put to it. If you break it, you sent the old one in and you get a new one. If your interesed you can go to www.johnsperformance.com get his phone # and call him. He is also running one and can get one for you.

You must remember when choosing a converter. The effeciency for a given diameter converte in relation to its stall. Ie Positive fin angle = effecient negative = poor

A stock 12" D5 is built on a negative fin angle, gives you stall but the bad way. GM had no option. So when you buy a blue red orange whatever stripe converter, they are just bending the fins even more negative, more stall, really sloppy, and extremely ineffecient. Effecient stall for a given diameter

12" 1400-1800
11" 2000-2200
10" 2400-2600
9" 3000-3500

All these figures depend on power oviously, but you always want a converter which has a positive fin angle, this is where the effeciency lies

I have used Art Carr and Coan converters in race cars, and have had very good results. It is always better to have a custom converter built to the specs of the car. If you spend thousands on the engine, and only 2 to 300 on the converter, well you get what you pay for, and sometimes you don't even know at that.