Titanium valves- yes or no?

I did a quick search of some LS7 valvetrain technology and it looks like there are some issues. More with the exhaust side sodium filled valve than the Ti intake.
Maybe they should have run a Ti exhaust valve too. :)

Neal

I've got several sets of Stage II heads all with Titanium valves. I might just give it a shot. Who knows.

Neal

Britt and I were discussing this earlier today. My thought is that even if the valves aren't recommended for exhaust gas temps exceeding 1400 degrees my question would be for what duration? If you aren't endurance racing a turbocharged vehicle then you might only see temps exceeding 1400 degrees for a couple of seconds at the end of the 1/4 mile. On the street at a resonable boost level you won't see 1400 degrees. The other thing is that running a Berillium Copper seat on the exhaust valve acts as a more effective heat sink than a conventional seat would. The jury is still out but it appears Dan at DLS isn't opposed to running them. Don Cruz' motor sounds bad ass I hope it finds a good home.

Neal

Agreed on the temp vs time duration info. Did you talk about the same setup being driven on the street much? I guess I should talk it over with him... Thinking of pulling the Ti valves out of the Jesel/Chapman heads and putting them in the T&D heads and running them for a while. May stash the good heads for another build.

Decisions, decisions.

A good freind that runs pro mod 555 BBC on methanol used titanium valve train ONCE and they lasted 4 races and pieces broke and trainwreck ensued. He spent several thousand on titanium valves, retainers, etc and wished he never would have.
He has since went back to non Tit and hasnt missed a beat for a season and a half.

In his pro mod circles it seems they just dont last and require frequent replacement through the season in order for them to last.
FWIW hes spinning it north of 8 k rpm so thats stage motor rpm as well

Rpm is in range, but do you happen to know what kind of spring pressures and lift they run? That may have a lot to do with it too. Thanks for the reply too, its good to know.

Im heading down to OKC week after next and will see him then and ask. But ,Its blown so the rpm plus boost would have to be a stout spring on either the stage or BBC. That beings said thats if the stage setup is to fully use port size and optimum VE

Most race engine's use a Ti intake and inconel exhaust. For my street engines I use a stainless intake and Ferrea super alloy exhaust valves.

There are turbo engines that run a high quality Ti exhaust valve as well but you have to remember most of these motors are freshened no later than 80-100 passes. I have saw what happens when a Ti valve breaks. IMO it's not worth risking a motor to save a few hundred $$$'s. Some run the Ti valves that come in the S2 heads from the nascar days but it's a grenade with the pin pulled. Todd Humprhies has ran his Ti intake and exhaust valves in his stage 2 heads for the last 2 years in the mid 8's but just replaced them with super alloy. We consider that lucky that nothing bad happened.

Don't cheap out on valves. It's just not worth it. Get a good quality stainless intake and the super alloy exhaust and you'll never have to worry about them.

Most race engine's use a Ti intake and inconel exhaust. For my street engines I use a stainless intake and Ferrea super alloy exhaust valves.

There are turbo engines that run a high quality Ti exhaust valve as well but you have to remember most of these motors are freshened no later than 80-100 passes. I have saw what happens when a Ti valve breaks. IMO it's not worth risking a motor to save a few hundred $$$'s. Some run the Ti valves that come in the S2 heads from the nascar days but it's a grenade with the pin pulled. Todd Humprhies has ran his Ti intake and exhaust valves in his stage 2 heads for the last 2 years in the mid 8's but just replaced them with super alloy. We consider that lucky that nothing bad happened.

Don't cheap out on valves. It's just not worth it. Get a good quality stainless intake and the super alloy exhaust and you'll never have to worry about them.

Thanks Dusty, really appreciate the input. Guess I better get to pricing some valves... ;)