Tire/wheel ?

F

Famlycar

Would I get better performance, ET/MPH, by going from 26' to 28' tires.? Would this give any benefit if only running in the 1/8 mile?I know the amount of power made by the car is important here also I'm just wondering if this could benefit me. Will 28' slicks fit on the stock T-Type rims? If so which ones do you guys recommend? Thanks.

If your car runs quicker than 110 mph in the 1/4 mile and does not have ported heads or cam, it will likely be quicker and faster in the 1/4 mile with 28" tires vs. 26" tires. Because most stock motored TR's trap way over their peak HP Rpm, the taller tires help the motor stay in the power band longer. Loose converter and weak valvespring cars are also faster with 28" tires (even if they don't run 110 in the 1/4 with 26" tires)

Because 28" tires reduce the overall rear reduction and provide a longer contact patch, they are more likely to withstand a high boost launch than 26" tires, so even 1/8 mile ET's can be improved.

My best average 60 ft times and my quickest 1/8th mile times are with 28" tires and my best 28" 1/4 mile trap speed is nearly 5 mph over my best 26" tire trap speed. 28" tires can work better on both ends of the track.

28X9 slicks or 28X10.5 ET street both fit fine on stock T rims, as do 28" tall 275/60 BFGDR's.

I have some charts and graphs on my G-body home page that goes into the comparison a little deeper.

Originally posted by UNGN
If your car runs quicker than 110 mph in the 1/4 mile and does not have ported heads or cam, it will likely be quicker and faster in the 1/4 mile with 28" tires vs. 26" tires. Because most stock motored TR's trap way over their peak HP Rpm, the taller tires help the motor stay in the power band longer. Loose converter and weak valvespring cars are also faster with 28" tires (even if they don't run 110 in the 1/4 with 26" tires)

Because 28" tires reduce the overall rear reduction and provide a longer contact patch, they are more likely to withstand a high boost launch than 26" tires, so even 1/8 mile ET's can be improved.

My best average 60 ft times and my quickest 1/8th mile times are with 28" tires and my best 28" 1/4 mile trap speed is nearly 5 mph over my best 26" tire trap speed. 28" tires can work better on both ends of the track.

28X9 slicks or 28X10.5 ET street both fit fine on stock T rims, as do 28" tall 275/60 BFGDR's.

I have some charts and graphs on my G-body home page that goes into the comparison a little deeper.
Thanks very much UNGN. Car does have P&P heads and a mild cam. Its one of the ATR cams although I'm not sure of the specs. Its not a roller. Converter is Bruce's 9x11 at 3200 stall speed. Car has a TE-44 right now but will be a TE-45A. Thanks for the info.