Ticking from cam sensor

PaulRV6

I have a distinct once per rev tick coming from the cam sensor cap. I listen to it with a stethoscope. The cam sensor is fairly new so what could it be.
Thanks
Paul

Back when I was running a billet cam the gears would wear out and tick like a bitch

I have a distinct once per rev tick coming from the cam sensor cap. I listen to it with a stethoscope. The cam sensor is fairly new so what could it be.
Thanks
Paul

The first time I came across that ticking issue was in 1987 on a new T-Type which was owned by my cousin.

We never found the source of the problem, but another cam sensor cured the ticking? They were cheap then!

Maybe Scott at GNS can deal with it as he has rebuilt many cam sensors.

I always check the end play in the sensor even brand new I typically add a shim or two distributor shims for a small block work put them on the gear end so the ring does not damage the cap.

Thanks the entire cam sensor is fairly new in relation to the miles. What should the endplay be? I can take it out and check it.
Paul

To be honest I have never measured I just make sure there is some up and down play and that the sensor spins smoothly

What does a new cam sensor cost these days? The last one I bought was about 10 yrs ago.

paul

300 bucks and its not a delco piece.....
Even new they have more play than you would imagine for a new piece, or the wave washer they use is way too soft.