this should be illegal and punishable by death

How do you know this Dave? I believe they did use a hot air GN for the hero car in this movie and a cloned Regal for the smash shots.

Just like in the first movie they flipped a 70 Charger.

Sometimes they do take an old rust bucket not long for the world and "doctor" it up with some mud and paint to look good from 20 feet.
I am guessing this is the hero car... Listed as a 1986 with a V6.
849_p3_l.jpg

849_p4_l.jpg

849_p5_l.jpg

http://www.volocars.com/1986-buick-gnx-universal-studios-movie-car-c-849.htm

The VIN is 1G4AK4795EHXXXXXX. Don't know if that's a legit GN VIN or not.

Ahh... Here's the 84 hot-air car.
http://www.volocars.com/1984-buick-gnx-universal-studios-movie-car-featuring-vin-diesel-c-840.htm

For the most part, they're not destroying what you're seeing.

They go out to auctions, and buy dirt cheap base models (regal for example) and they can be painted up and some select parts added and it can be made to look like anything they want (GN, GNX, etc.)

They had a budget of 145 million so I would think they would just buy the mint 10k hot air GN. Then spend another who knows how much to get it ready for the camera.
Scott

I dont know if this is still true today or not.But my folks went to disiney land in cal. and it was told to them that in the filming of the dukes of hazzard tv show that dodge was repoping the bodies out. just so that they could just destory the bodies in the stunts. They have some picks some were that shows the bodies lined up and dad says there were at lest 50 or more.
That's the first I have heard of any repopping being done. I know the original show went through hundreds of 68-70 Chargers. And I've seen similar pics with tons of orange cars lined up for days. Pretty cool pics, too.

Totally off thread topic, but here are a few of the GLs from the 2005 movie. These pics were taken on-set in Baton Rouge, LA.

3Generals05.jpg

3Generals01.jpg

Here are two more used in the movie...
2Generals02.jpg

2Generals03.jpg

Some police cars...
CopCars.jpg

And just an all around cool pic I was able to take with my car at the time...
GTOAndGeneral01.jpg