The Way We Were! for the over 40 crowd

My name is Brian and I am 16 years old, and when i was a kid i used to ride bikes and clime trees and all that fun stuff too. I also walk home from school everyday(although it's not 5 miles up hill both ways) I agree are generation is much lazier but with so many at home conveniences(spelling sucks) what is are motivation to get out of the house. One thing though condoms are not handed out in schools, I have never heard of that or seen that anywhere at our school or any other schools in our areas(for the record) and abortions is a RARITY so lets not be stereotypical. Plus the sueing people thing, It's not our generation thats doing the sueing it would be mostly older people out there doing the sueing, we can't afford lawyers. And yeah maybe you old guys spent all summer mowing the lawn, I'm on winter break and instead of mowing lawns I'm doing work for my dad on the computer atleast 20 hours a week while juggling school. Not to mention schooling is much harder for kids these days and I dont think anyone of you can refute that. Plus realistically getting a good job without going through 4 years of college is a rarity. And it's not our faults that there's creepy guys out there ready to snatch kids up. I wish i could see how life was back in the day, im sure it was awesome but i'm just saying things have changed but we still do a lot of the same things just a little more advanced. Anyways just stickin up for the our generation, and saying it's not are fault, and we're not all sex addicted P.E failing lazy kids as some have portrayed, I would even wager the majority of our generation works as hard as you older guys out there.
Sincerely
Brian

Reading this thread just jogs the ole memory banks;

Dirt bombs, riding our bikes without helmets all over town, big thing was color TV w/maybe one of those motors to rotate the antenna on the roof, watching NASA race to the moon, go-carts, dirt bikes, smoking cirgarettes was the in thing to do, cool hot wheels cars {if ya didn't bend the wire axels}, johnny lightning cars, matchbox cars, when you got older learning to do donuts in your car and racing in the streets with rear wheel drive cars with gas costing 20 something cents a gallon, oh yeah.

Ah... good times.

I will be 27 in a couple weeks, and I remember doing most of those things.

"John Spartan - You have been fined 5 credits for expressing an unpopular opinion"

We are headed for a world portrayed in "The Demolition Man" . Anything deemed bad for you will be illegal.

Society has gone to hell, I am just trying to buffer as much as I can from affecting my family... and not doing too well, I might ad:(

I would imagine forty years ago, people were saying the same thing about two piece bathing suits, "rock and/or roll", Elvis on TV swinging his hips... just a few that come to mind. At one time, automobiles themselves, or should I say "horseless carriages", TV, Telephone were all vastly shunned. Prohibition came and went, now there is a push to legalize marijuana. Prime time TV would not show a married couple sleeping in the same bed and now they cuss, show nudity :D and bisexual women (Woo-Hoo!!):D:D

Imagine what our children will be saying to each other in 30 years, talking about the "safety movement of the millenium" or some crap...

Hopefully, society will take a turn back towards common sense.

Geoge Carlin has some great skits on this very subject... I have one cd though where he attacks airport security, and post 9-11, it really makes you cringe. I used to laugh at it, but the irony is all to real now.

Maybe we will look back 10-15 years from now and think it's a good thing... Nah, probably not.

Thanks for the reality check,

Victor

How About Stick ball or 1/2 ball.

I remember the working class dads coming home after a good days work having a bottle of shlitz beer & playing stick ball after supper.
All the kids would cheer for thier dads. Those were the PRE brady bunch days.

kick ball, yo yo craze, freeze tag.

I remember my area of town was new development in the early 60's Yeah those quiet nights on new paved roads & the sounds of tires wailing.
Or
late at night off in the distance when the highway had no traffic you would hear the roar of 2 - 4 speed cars racing each other every few minutes I could here racing happening.
The races formed at the local bowling alley on RTE2 in Cambridge mass. Hearing this at 8, 9, 10 years old was killing me to see.
I finally weaseled my dad into taking me Bowling on a saturday night. The ploy was to catch the racers that hung out at the bowling alley & hope to catch glimpse of a race.
It worked saw a 67 camaro vs a 63 dodge polara. Both cars jacked up with big meats came flying by us at a good clip.
I remembered dad cussing about those crazy teens. LOL!

We played stick ball with a sawed off wooden shovel handle and a tennis ball.

Homerun derby format.

Fast pitch. :cool:

You didn't chase the ball that often. ;)

But when you did connect it went a mile. :D

Football was, and still is king in Texas. We would play for hours. I remember the first time I played in school. We started playing football at school in the 7th grade. I remember thinking, WOW, hitting people with these pads on doesn't hurt nearly as bad! At home, we never played touch, we always played full contact, with no pads.

As for the kids today, I remember in a history class I took, the instructor read a quote. He didn't tell us who wrote it until later. It talked about how the youth was wild and crazy....had no respect for their elders. Stayed out too late at night.....they were lazy and didn't like to work.....etc, etc.

So I'm thinking, dang, that sounds like my Dad talking about my generation. Finally he told us that was a quote from an author from the Roman Empire. I good old days syndrome has been around for a while! :cool: