The Oahu Experience!!

gnjim3

Aloha!!
I am back in Blistering hot Texas. I have returned from Oahu for the 2nd time in six months. At the conclusion of the 1st trip, I read this section of the board and desired to go to the local track and meet some Hawaiian Turbo Regal Owners. I must say, this trip was a great experience
...i.e.: met Moderator Geoff, seeing CPP stickers was completely “off the chain”…

I was impressed by

1. The High level of enthusiasm. [Willingness to help and Extremely Amicable and Approachable]

2. The High amount of Technological Knowledge.

3. Stunningly, The Large number of Buick Turbocars in Oahu, Hawai'i. (Spotted 7 different other cars I not seen on Wednesday)

Never before, within a group of people, had I ever felt “accepted.” In Hawai’i, [The Buick Community] and [The University of Hawai'i (at Manoa) Community (staff included)] I finally feel accepted and do not feel like an outcast (I was visiting too!). This trip taught me People from different cultures can and DO exist without violence towards one another. I have never experienced a culturally diverse community without targeted violence (I went to a Bad high school).

Koa (I met via this board) drove from the airport, picked me up and drove me (thru Hawaiian traffic..littered with damn tourists!!) to HRP and back to Waikiki. Although he is still working out kinks in his combo, it will surely be a formidable piece when finished (I Envy the Cage and it was quite a shock when I first jumped in) (my 87 GN has a cage). I enjoyed watching him race, along with every other TR owner (wanted to bring a camera, did want to be too “Touristy”).

Although traction could be improved (poor 60’ section) I immediately embraced the track and favor it over Houston Raceway Park (HRP also……lol...)
I owe Koa a big “Mahalo” for
1.) "Bussing" me around and
2.) Teaching me a little more about TR’s
3.) Guidance about life in Oahu.

I no longer debate moving far from where I was raised; I know it is the right choice.
Unfortunately , during the trip back and presently while typing, I am extremely homesick!!
Thanks Again See Ya'll Soon
Jim
”The Mailman”

It was nice meeting you Jim! :) See you when you get back!

Just be sure to bring one of your cars with you when you return!!;) :D

"The High amount of Technological Knowledge." and "Moderator Geoff".......

Never thought I'd see that in the same thread, let alone the same post. :D :D

It was nice meeting you Jim. Too bad we didn't get to do our ritual thing after, and consume beverages and talk story. The track closes early on Wed, so that was why. Take care and glad you enjoyed your trip. Hey, you want to drop by PTS and bring me my pump? :D Just joking.

A hui hou

Paul

Return

Hey Guys!

I will return in December to start at UH at Manoa. The most stressful part of my vacation (this Mon.) was finding out from the Asst. Dean..
1. How many credits I would lose (every school is different)
I will not lose many... and some merge..i.e.: Calculus 1-3 at my school turns into Cal 1-4 @ UH ļ
2. If I can enter the engineering program at UH [ Engineering Major at A&M ...i.e.: NO Life :). ]
They will consider probationary acceptance in Engineering, I lack two required courses that transfer students must have.
Also, I am trying to sort out finance problems, owning two TR's and having 2 part time jobs [selling my knock monitors and working with my Father] is not enough $$ right now, (Presently, I am extremely ¡§Frugal¡¨ ), let alone living modestly in Hawai¡¦i. The outlook is very good for a December arrival and moving this August was not possible after getting accepted this June to UH.

Thanks
Jim

Moving Delema...Your Opinion ........[LONG]

Sorry for the length, but..
I would like some feedback from you guys on a "moving" decision.
A. The Problem:
The lack of resources to support myself and driving/maintaining [after $1300-$1600/car to ship = ~$3200.00 total]. When I entertain parting from either one of these cars, I become angst (too much Work, $$$, and blood {literally} on both!!)
¡K.BUT¡K.
A. Education is extremely important and supercedes everything!!
B. I need reliable transportation to meet my goal
Here is a brief rundown of my TR¡¦s........
Blue Car-
1. Dash to GNX style
2. Interior restoration.. {In Progress, poor right now!}.[carpet to headliner to tint and seat upholstery]
3. PST (I hate PST) performance suspension front and rear (everything!!)
4. Car has Rare Blue Color, minor dings w/ Poor metallic application (Tiger Stripes) the last half of the body
5. New Motor to be installed (this Sat!!) which includes: Champion Stg. 2 Heads, 3 shaft/head T&D rr's ļ {----------I will keep the heads & rockers no matter what I do--------}
While working @ CPP for 1.5 yrs. (6 yrs. ago) and unpacking hundreds of pairs, dreaming of a set while stuck with good ol¡¦ iron heads..}
6. Mallory slugged motor, TRW forged pistons.
7. Countless upgrades¡Ktrunk pop, ¡Kblah blah

Black Car ........"Street Regal"
1. Throw-down Roll Cage (Makes me jealous of Koa)
2. High Rise Al. Intake AND Liquid IC (built by "Uncle John"..[stamped CPP])
3. Crappy Gen IV DFI (DFI=Dumb F%$@king Investment)
4. P&P Stock heads reworked to the max..
5. Balanced Short Block w/ TRW's
6. 4600 Stall w/ remanufactured Delco tranny (will vent soon.. ƒº ¡K)
7. New Front end w/ stk. Components
8. South sides, axle snubber.
9. PT-72 Turbo
10. Many other Xtras
11. Exterior needs Paint, Interior Mint!!

B. Daily Driver Needs (Bouncing money from 2 cars to 1):
1. RELIABILITY..Need to get to school in ---stop/go--- H-1 Traffic to achieve my goal.
2. Performance suspension roadracing Compromised to transfer weight for effective launch.
3. Nice paint done right to ensure integrity in Hawai¡¦i.
4. Blistering fast with performance at any RPM RANGE.
5. 17-18¡¨ Wheels
6. Must be a TR, I will only drive a Buick TR. Tried ¡§beater cars¡¨ and I do not wish to settle on one.

C. Possible Solutions:
1. Should I sell the ¡§T¡¨ and go "Ball$ to the wall"(STG. 2 on GN)??? Example :
---Sell blue car (w/ GN car¡¦s heads {stk. P&P) then the GN would utilize Sheet-metal intake, STG. 2 heads, AND go STG. 2 on the street (Daily Driver with Felpro) then
1. Get paint job
2. Trick wheels..Simmons..etc
3. Felpro WB02
Or¡K
2. Ship both and put GN in storage. The ¡§T¡¨ is my Daily Driver and will continue to be until I get a job from my education.

Any comments/manipulation ideas would be great. I am very fortunate to own 2 TR's but it becomes too much to operate both at times.

Jim

Hmm...

I think finding a place you can afford with parking could be an issue, as you know space is at a premium in Hawaii, and a lot of places will only allow parking for 1 car... so your daily ride will be parked on the street...if you keep the GN in storage....cars (g-bodies) do not take well to being kept outside in hawaiis salt air climate.. (dont forget the humidity)

Next, cost of living needs to be a careful consideration...

Not trying to discourage you, but it can get rough here with gas approaching 2.30/gal and milk @ 3.60-5.00/gallon (good examples) If you can arrange storage of the GN in someones garage, I would think that that may help.

Rob

With respect to oxidation in an Island climate, would it be feasable to minimize this thru a "sacrificial" electrode??
Just Curious
Jim

Jim,

are you referring to a "zinc plate" similar to ones used for marine use? as for an answer, I really dont know... the problem seems to be from the inside out... salt, humidity, unpainted metal surfaces... yadayadayada

Rob