The Awakening: Part 4

Robes87GN

Bench Racing Hater
I foresee 2 more parts, no less. Thanks for all the great response, makes me work that much harder.
Part 4
That next day James and Tyler ran out to the local gas stations and gathered up every auto-selling magazine that they could find. They went to Kyle’s house and had him help them search the magazines for nice cars.
“What kind of car are you looking for?” asked Kyle.
“87 Grand National” said Tyler solemnly.
“Sweet, I’ve been missing that car” James said in an excited tone.
“Me too, me too” said Tyler.
The trio looked through the magazines, circling the Grand Nationals to replace Tyler’s lost one. Tyler had received a lot of money from the accident to replace his car. Even though it was technically his fault, his lawyer was a hotshot from Chicago and brought his team with him, and got him off on all charges and took the insurance company into court for punitive damages. He had plenty of money left over, even after buying his Sunfire. He had no problem dumping most of his resources into this car if need be. All in all, they found 12 GN’s in the magazines. 3 show cars, which they X’d out, 4 stock ones with 100,000+ miles on them, 2 all out drag cars, that they also X’d out, and 3 with low miles and some modifications. That left them with 7 choices. They started calling and making appointments to meet up with the owners. The three checked out 3 of the high mileage cars that day and kept one on their list.
That following day they check out the three modded cars and kept two of them on their list. They couldn’t get a hold of the other guy with the other high mileage car so marked that off their list. The guys had a conversation about which was the best to buy. After about an hour, they marked off the last high mileage car. They made appointments with the two owners left on their list. The one they liked the most they went and looked at first. It was in mint condition, only 42,xxx miles on it and was currently running low 12’s, which was a good place to start off from. Using Tyler’s old combination, he should be able to drop it back to 11 flat, but he wanted more than that. When the three looked at the car that day, the owner, who was kind of weary about selling the car to a 19-year old kid, met them at the front door.
“Howdy, boys, glad to see you like my car. I am going to be sad when she leaves, I will tell you that right now. Tyler, is it?
“Yeah.” Said Tyler, in a silent voiced, in awe over the gleaming black beauty as he ran his fingers over the angular lines of the car.
“You have any Turbo Buick knowledge previous to looking at this car?”
“Yeah, I had one, got wrecked this past summer on the freeway.”
“Oh, I think I heard about that, street racing and rolled it to miss a van, someone died didn-“ he cut himself off before he even got the last few words out as he looked into Tyler’s eyes and saw the pain and guilt that had been there now since the accident.
“Yes, my girlfriend” he said quietly, but strongly.
“I am sorry”
“It’s all right”
“So, on a lighter note, why are you looking at this car?” he said to hurry along the change of subject before he lost his possible sale.
“For her and… for me” Tyler said.
His two friends were looking at the car in and out. It had all the fixings for a good setup of just about anything Tyler wanted to throw on here. Kyle and James came to the conclusion that this guy really knew what he was doing and did it well with this car. Tyler gave the car another quick run over.
“Thanks for your time, sir” Tyler said.
“You’re welcome. Call me John” John replied with a smile.
“Could you hold it for me for the next 24 hours? I am going to go look at another, just to make sure I am getting the right one. I will let you know either way.” Tyler smiled back, eyes squinting in the sun.
“Sure, just let me know”
“Thanks again, I’ll be getting at you soon.” Tyler said as he extended his hand.
“Sounds good to me.” John said as he met his hand and gave it a firm shake.
Kyle and James each shook the man’s hand and gave their good byes as they walked back to Tyler’s Sunfire.
“SHOTGUN!” yelled Kyle a few feet in front of the car.
“Damn” James said as he opened the door and got into the back seat.
“What did you think, guys?” Tyler said.
“I love that car. Set up perfect, no flaws. With all forged internals, you drop a new turbo on that, nitrous or propane, new intercooler, and alcohol, you are deep into the 11’s my friend.” James said excitedly from the back seat.
“I second that” Kyle said.
“Yeah, I really liked it too.” Tyler said as he dropped the Sunfire into first and let off the clutch.
“On to the next car. I don’t know if it will really measure up to this one or not.” James said again.
Fifteen minutes later the crew arrived at the next place and walked up to the front door. They knocked on the door a few times before the seller walked to the door and opened it.
“Hey guys, here to see the car again?” He said.
“Yep, sure are” Kyle said.
“Well, lets go look at it then.”
The man put on his shoes and walked out into the driveway where the Grand National was parked. The crew followed.
“Yeah, she is my baby, but just don’t have the need for her anymore.”
“That’s a shame.” Tyler said as he shook his head.
“Well, let’s see what we have under the hood, shall we?” the man said as he pulled the hood release handle.
The engine bay wasn’t as nice and clean as the other. Some of the things seemed rigged on, kind of like making a puzzle piece fit where you know it doesn’t go. Kyle got on the ground and looked for rust in the panels and frame as James checked out the engine bay. Tyler started up a conversation with the man as his friends checked out the car.
“Ever do much racing with this car?”
“Not really, just went to the track a couple of times.” Said the man.
“What did it run?” Tyler questioned.
“12.70’s all day” The man stated matter-of-factly.
“Nice.”
James and Kyle got done inspecting the car and the four guys started some small talk about it, but nothing really impressed them as much as the other car they had just seen. That was where their minds were at the time.
“I will let you know what I want to do on it, but I doubt I will be able to take it.” Tyler said. He wanted out of here and this situation right quick.
“All righty then, just give me a holler.” Said the man.
“Will do” Tyler said as he shook the man’s hand and the three walked away.
When the were a few feet away from the car…
“SHOTGUN!” yelled James as he chuckled and gave Kyle a little push.
The three got into the car and drove away. The second Tyler got home, he okayed it all with his mom, who really didn’t know much about cars. He called John and confirmed that he would take the car. This was a defining moment. Tyler was back into something he loved again. For the first time since his accident, he felt alive.

Just to let you all know, part 5 will come out sometime in mid Jan... I am at home for break and dont want to mess with emailing them to myself and whatnot, sorry for the inconvienence.