TA 49 turbo

bose

I have a used TA 49 turbo I want to use.There is no side to dide play in the shaft but I noticed there is a small amout of play up and down between the bushings and shaft.It turns freely and the wheels do not rub.Also there is no sign of oil leaking past the seals.Can anyone give me a clue if this turbo can be used or if this is normal?Bruce

Sounds good here too. As long as there is no in and out play you're good to go.

Guys, I have a question about my 49 too. The middle of the impeller on the turbine side looks chipped. Besides that everything is fine. Is it ok or should I have it fixed just in case?

The middle, like by the nut? Are you sure it isn't just material removed for balance? Is it ragged or smooth?

Yes, right in the middle. It is smooth, so maybe it was removed for balance. I hope so. Thanks a lot.

Originally posted by bose
I have a used TA 49 turbo I want to use.There is no side to dide play in the shaft but I noticed there is a small amout of play up and down between the bushings and shaft.It turns freely and the wheels do not rub.Also there is no sign of oil leaking past the seals.Can anyone give me a clue if this turbo can be used or if this is normal?Bruce

sounds about right..;)