Sub sound into the cabin

• Thread starter AsphaltAnihil8r
  • Start date
A

AsphaltAnihil8r

Which way does the subs sound get into the cabin?
1.Thru the rear seat.
2.Thru the rear deck.
3.Thru another way?

I am starting plans for the sub box that will sit on the ledge just underand inbetween the 6x9's ,do I face it to the rear seat or away?Do I have the subs (10"Alum Audiobahns)face up at the rear deck or face the rear seat or face the tail lights.these subs require about.65 cu ft per so the box should fit perfect on the step in the trunk,
Guys any pointers ???
:D
Dennis

Here ya go "Spalman"

I went outside and removed my back seat to show you how I did mine, the best way that I have found in these "G" body cars is to remove torsion bar and bring ports through the rear deck. These are a/d/s Reference 10s with .60 cubes per side with a 13" x 3" port (with 90 degree elbow) to fit inside cabinet.

It sounds like a have a subwoofer cabinet sitting in my back seat, most of my sound is coming through the ports. The sound is awesome and it hits very well I might add, I built it mainly for high-end sound but got the best of both worlds. I even impressed our a/d/s rep which was a big compliment to me.

Make sure if you go this route to purchase a subwoofer that is designed to play ported. I hope this helps you in bringing some sound into your car.

Attachments

• gn back seat.jpg
    gn back seat.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 688
another way is to just ditch the rear speakers. It makes a VERY noticeable difference.

Thaks for the Pic,My subs are for a sealed enclosure,what can I do to get the most sound into the cabin.
Thanks
Dennis

Since you have sealed subs, you can build a 4th order bandpass and port the vented part through the rear deck. 4th orders are tricky to build as far as getting the port diameter, length, and sub enclosure volume correct. If it is off, they will not sound right.

I like the sound of the 4th orders and will produce alot of bass for a single sub.

Dennis,
FYI, I only removed the back seat to show you how I did my enclosure and ports. I dont drive around this way LOL, I put the back seat back in after I took the pic HEHE. I hope I didnt confuse anybody!!

I have tried both porting through the deck and porting toward the trunk and pointing toward the trunk had a much larger quantity of deep bass. This was using the same size box and woofers. The rear deck porting had more upper bass frequencies - but who wants those. For true deep bass reproduction you must increase the distance the bass waves travel. Best way to do that is port toward the trunk. Current setup is using 2 Orion XTR 10's in a tri-chanber bandpass. Whole enclosure fits on the upper package shelf area. One BIG square port in the center facing the trunk. And then to allow some more of the bass energy to enter the cabin I removed the 4 x10's and put some good 4" coaxials enclosed in tiny sealed enclosures. About have of the vacated spot where the 4 x 10's were is completely open for venting bass.

I have a set of kicker s12L7's in a sealed box sitting on the top of the part of the trunk. They are facing the rear of the car. They sound outstanding. With the box I built and designed I was still able to have 6x9's on the back dash to help with rear fill. I suggest building a wedged box with a slope toward the back set so you can still have the 6x9's hanging to get the best sound possible. Another thing make sure you pull out that big sound deading mat that hangs behind the back set. That made all the difference in the world for me....

Good Luck.... :cool:

I also agree with facing the subs torward the taillights to give the subs response to cycle. I just dont like the sheet metal rattling with every bass note (very annoying).

I use my trunk religiously so I faced them toward the backseat with ports through the rear deck and trimmed out my trunk for car shows.

If you like "boomy" bass, facing them toward the taillights is the way to go. You can still get low bass into car with rear deck ports if you decide to go that route.

Boomy bass is high bass - which you get from close proximity - rear deck porting. Deep impact type (realistic) bass is produced by increasing the sound wave lenghts - trunk porting. I use my trunk all the time too thats why an enclosure that fit on the package shelf was imperative. I just did not want to go through all that trouble and sacrafice sound quality by getting boomy bass. Besides the big 6" x 10" port looks imperssive. The trunk ratteling is a problem irregardless of where the ports are. Although they are increased with trunk porting - because of the extra deep bass.

Would this help muffle the rattles ..
My plan is to Purchase one of Chucks trunk kits and on the backside of all the panels that come in the kit- I am installing the Roofing Ice sheild ,that is similar to Dynamat but less $$$

Just a simple alternative here....

I operate two 12" JBL competition subs. Free Air facing into the back seat and mounted on a baffle board just in front of the 4X10 mounting holes.

Requires more power for the same amount of bass, a higher quality speaker, and some bass equalization. All things that now are easily obtained in MHO.

Benefits are less trunk space used, simple installation, and more room for all the other electronics and amplifiers. And the JBL's happen to be efficient speakers putting out a lot of bass without using a lot of power. :)

For the new GN I will probably go with a simpler system, a box as I have 2 JBL 8" competition woofers I would like to tune in a sealed box as low as I can get them to go. They handle 300 watts each.

Anything like "ice barrier" or "dyna-mat" will help quite down the trunk rattle. As far as what direction you face the subs is up to you and the way you want it to sound. Its going to be opinion on what will work, all that matters is what you like but experimentation is the best way to find out what will work for you. The way I designed and built mine is the way I like it and it works for me and other people that I have built a similar set-up for. Good luck in your subwoofer project :cool: .

back seat.... oooo

how in teh world do u take out teh back seat like u did? i wanna do that and give it a whirl to see if i pick up DB. I got 4 10's and i wanna see if i can get alil more bump.

mr_85regal,
You pop out the lower seat cushion by pressing in at the base where the carpet meets to unspring the hook on both sides and she will come out. Then you take a Torx socket and remove the 2 bottom seat belt bolts, then lift up on back seat and it also pops out. I timed myself and did it in 3.5 minutes with minimal effort. You will definatly pick up a few DB removing the back seat :cool: .

Salvage, I tired the infinate baffle thing in the early 90's. I was suprised at how much bass was produced. And it was good deep bass to boot. Definitely a good alternative.