``SpyHawk``

SeniorSavage

Hey everyone. I just joined a couple days ago. I was scouring the net looking for reliable v6 Buick turbo info and it sure looks like Ive found it`- you guys really know your stuff!

Anyways, I recently bought a 75` Buick Skyhawk with a defunct 3.8 in it and coincidentally my buddy had an engine from an 83`T-type Regal that he wanted to trade me for the 3800 Series one I had in my 88`Cutlass Supreme because he wants to upgrade his Fiero a bit.o_O (Yeah, I know - my 96 Regal has the 3800 Series II in it as well - great motors!) But the block in his motor was shot so I picked up an 80`Chevy Monza coupe because the numbers showed it also had been a turbo block. We have everything we need (almost) except for the ESC and wiring, and half a clue that we do not we need an ECM on it. I`m waiting for the Haynes and Chilton manuals to arrive so I can get about finding what we need.

In the meantime Ive replaced the inner door panels, ripped out the carpet and picked the replacement at ACC, priced out all the suspension parts I'm going to replace. Tomorrow we re-paint the block and heads a shiny corporate blue. Nope went with fire red.Pressure-washed the engine bay and underneath and ready to paint it as well. Oh yes, have all the upholstery out and a local company scouted out and picked up a MSD 6A that happened to go on sale .. : )}x

Anyways, here`s a couple pix and any advice you have for us is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Sav

p.s. we call it SpyHawk because when I got it someone had replaced the stock front clip with one from an 1980 Monza Spyder - erego; ``SpyHawk``

p.p.s - sorry Gangster !

Attachments

• 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 395
  • 100_0003.JPG
    100_0003.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 428
  • P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 405
  • P1010028.JPG
    P1010028.JPG
    882.4 KB · Views: 378
  • P1010046a.JPG
    P1010046a.JPG
    799.3 KB · Views: 381
If your goin to bother to do this swap why not get an 86/87 intercooled set up..

If your goin to bother to do this swap why not get an 86/87 intercooled set up..

well 'cuz this is the engine that i HAVE ... I'd love to run a true '87 GN engine but thats about ten thousand dollars away from me right now and this one is about five hundred dollars away - maybe when i win the lottery ! : )}X

What grumpy said. The early card turbos i read had drivibility problems a d were a little temperamental. You will need a to fabricate a few things, but you will be much happier with the end result. Question, can you measure the carb turbo engine from exhaust manifold face on the head to exhaust manifold face on the other head at the widest point and post how wide it is? I am trying to compare 109 engine to series 2/3 engine. We might go series 2 for the room. If we do, we have a compkete hot air setup in the car to do sonething with.
Thanks,
Jay

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

well 'cuz this is the engine that i HAVE ... I'd love to run a true '87 GN engine but thats about ten thousand dollars away from me right now and this one is about five hundred dollars away - maybe when i win the lottery ! : )}X

well ya have a lot of work ahead of ya. And they do turn into $$$$ pits very fast :p

Thats true, but if it doesnt pan out then a nice 4 bbl intake and carb reverts it back to "still better than what i started with" and you guys start seeing a lot less of me .. : )}x

cheers.

What grumpy said. The early card turbos i read had drivibility problems a d were a little temperamental. You will need a to fabricate a few things, but you will be much happier with the end result. Question, can you measure the carb turbo engine from exhaust manifold face on the head to exhaust manifold face on the other head at the widest point and post how wide it is? I am trying to compare 109 engine to series 2/3 engine. We might go series 2 for the room. If we do, we have a compkete hot air setup in the car to do sonething with.
Thanks,
Jay

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
i would, but our engine is not yet assembled. it should be by the end of this weekend and i will do that.

cheers.

Great project! Back in the Eighties my first car was a V6, 4-speed '76 Skyhawk. I had a blast with it. Last tires I bought for it were the Dunlop GT Qualifiers too. :D

Welcome, nice to see another AF E8 on board. I have a retirement date of 1 Aug 13 :) Project looks like a lot of fun. I'm balls deep in my own hybrid project as well.

Have you checked out www.beforeblack.net or H body .org yet? H body has a good deal of info about suspension and brake upgrades as well as the different mounting set ups. B4black has all the info on the early turbo set ups including all the part numbers and wiring diagrams so you've got some options. Pete's Buick also has some good info if you're handy with electronics and the 301 garage is a sister site that's all about the early 301 turbo Trans Am cars.;)

Wow Charlie - are you trying to get rid of me? :eek: (j/k ) Yes, as a matter of fact I have been posting at H-body.org for almost a year now and I'm also over at BeforeBlack of course but those other two I hadnt heard of and will certainly go check them out !

again, thanks for all the advice guys !

cheers.

Found out about the 301 garage from matt231 and joined up to help them out. There's a bunch of misinformation about the draw through systems and to say the least that bugs me.:( One of the members has taken the big step and upgraded to the TE-62-DT turbo which gives about 33% more flow than the stock 301 unit, or about 3x than the stock Buick unit.:D It requires a bit of work and parts, but a few of us die hards are trying to get one of the B4black cars in the 10's without nitrous or blowing the bottom out of the block.;)

screw the intercooled stuff thats for weeneys who cant make a carb go fast!

Draw Thru that turkey and join the club!