Spring Cleaning Tune-up (for a '86 GN)

ilan_gn86_qc

Hi everyone,

First of all, sorry for my bad english (despite the fact that I'm living in Canada for 7 years I'm still French :wink:).

I bought a '86 Canadian GN in september, drove it 'till winter (which mean november here in Québec :biggrin:), she was in a garage for the winter, and it's time to bring her back to the streets :D

She's got 194.000 km (120.000 miles), top end engine rebuilt 4-5 years ago, transmission and rear-end 6-7 years ago.

I'm a mechanic noobie so I hope you could help me 'cause I'm not sure about a lot of things to do before a new season of street/strip. I want to do everything above myself. From what I read on the different treads on this forum and on the gnttype website this is what I got :

Motor oil and filter : I really have no clue what oil to take (I tried the search menu but I didn't really find anything :confused:) I just understand that because it's a turbo car it needs synthetic oil and add a bottle of ZDDP.
For the filter, the car has now the Declo one but I know it become a terrible one so I got that I have to change it for the Baldwin B35-S (or the B9 + RJC Biggie oil adapter but i seems too complicated for me)

Transmission fluid, filter and et gasket : Dextron VI and cork gasket ; transmission filter and pan gasket set for the 200-4R : Fram part number FT1057B

Rear differential fluid and gasket : Mobil 1 synthetic Gear Lube + GM's limited slip additive + GM gasket

Gas filter : AC Fuel Filter part number #GF481

Spark plugs : AC CR43TS (Gap : 0.035)

I know almost everyone has a different choice of brand for these basics maintenance but I just wanna make sure I got that right, so can you please help me, just to make sure that the parts I choose won't hurt mycar, I really dont want to destroy my GN, I just love it, so comfy and powerful (I used to daily drive a '75 Monte Carlo...)

Thanks a lot

Ilan

I'll mention a couple of other things you can do since you didn't address them in your post.

1) If the radiator is original on your 120,000 mile TR, you might want to have it flushed and/or rodded out to make sure it has plenty of cooling capacity. If it's in bad shape you should have it recored.
2) How about the intercooler? when was the last time you removed it and had it flushed? Over the years, oil can accumulate inside and bugs and dirt clog the fins. There is additional horsepower here if it hasn't been done in awhile.
3) Check the serpentine belt for wear and cracks
4) Use a scan tool to check sensor readings, especially TPS.

Have fun racing your TR. :smile: